Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Best Beatles song that never was a single

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 102 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:12:40 AM PST
Any Beatles song is OK except "You Know My Name, Look Up The Number" which isn't in the running because it's the flip side of "Let It be". Wait, there is another horrible song the Beatles sang although it was never released on any of their main steam albums. Google Beatles/Peanut Vender Song/You Tube. It's similar to "...Look Up The Number" although it does have the tune down.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:39:40 AM PST
L. Crosby says:
The only thing I would have to say after reading all (ok, most) of these posts is that I Dig a Pony is a song that I think is one of their most interesting, musically. The bass and guitar riff together and the harmonies, man! it's just an awesome song. Now, I'm not sure it would've been their biggest single because of the off the wall lyrics, but I find the song fascinating....just sayin'!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 6:40:19 AM PST
My Bad!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 11:21:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 11:22:28 PM PST
brotagonist says:
Hey, I was just looking back over the last few posts. You said that "You know my name (Look up the number)" was not a single. It was and I used to have it when it first came out. It was the b-side of "Let it Be".

Edit: I just noticed that someone else noticed before me ;-)

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 10:51:25 PM PST
Good choice!

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 4:42:37 PM PST
brotagonist says:
I Want You (She's So Heavy), from Abbey Road, which is one of my favourite Beatles songs of all time

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 4:24:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 4:25:51 PM PST
There are so many, it's extremely difficult to choose just one. How about "I Am The Walrus". Wait a minute, that was the B side of "Hello Goodbye".

It can't be from the early Beatles. They hadn't found their niche yet. So, it has to be "A Day In The Life". Even Leonard Bernstein said that was a work of genius.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 3:34:00 PM PST
N. J. Hunter says:
"Anytime at All"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2008 8:15:27 PM PST
You're right, how stupid of me. But that doesn't excuse the fact that it (in my opinion) is the worst Beatles' song ever. It sounds as if they're in a night club and they are drunk.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2008 11:36:08 AM PST
I was not born yet when the Beatles were releasing singles so, I don't know what would be a single or not (other than the obvious). Someone earlier mentioned "Here, There and Everywhere" that was my wedding song so I would have to say that one but someone also mentioned "Fixing a Hole" and I loved that song as a child. At the risk of being wrong, I will also mention "I Will".

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2008 11:31:35 AM PST
SOME1 else says:
"The Long and Winding Road" actually was released as a single by Apple, to follow up "Let It Be."
I've always thought there were a great group of George Harrison songs unfairly passed over for A-sides, including "Don't Bother Me," "If I Needed Someone," "I Want To Tell You," "Taxman," "The Inner Light" and "Blue Jay Way," just to name a few.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2008 11:19:57 AM PST
Not sure if it was ever a single, but as a parent I think "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" is one of Lennon's best. Of course, it was on the album with that screeching widow--ugh--so that may not count since it wasn't strictly "Beatles".

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2008 10:43:05 AM PST
With A Little Help From My Friends was a B-side to Sgt. Pepper on a re-issue from 1978

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2008 10:40:17 AM PST
Actually, You Know My Name is the B-side of Let It Be

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2008 9:22:12 AM PST
ethan514 says:
Ill Be Back , No Reply weren't bad either..............

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2008 11:39:00 PM PST
Mick says:
<<Kenneth P. Weinkauf says:
Question: Is there any other single (by any group) that was different from the album version like "Revolution?">>

There are probably tons. A few come to mind:
Time Is On My Side (The Rolling Stones)
Rebel Rebel (Bowie)
No One Is To Blame (Howard Jones)
Two Tickets To Paradise (Eddie Money)

As for best Beatle songs that weren't a single:
Getting Better
I Need You
Little Child
Martha My Dear
With A Little Help From My Friends
If I Needed Someone

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2008 9:24:34 PM PST
Mr. Bichez says:
@Kenneth P. Weinkauf
"Let it Be" has a different, inferior album version.

My top picks for Best Non-Single?
I'm only Sleeping
I Want to Tell You
For No One
Tomorrow Never Knows
Martha My Dear
Cry Baby Cry
Happiness is a Warm Gun

In no particular order.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2008 8:51:56 PM PST
Someone else listed this one, so I'm not alone in selecting this song: "Lovely Rita". Of all the songs on Pepper, "Rita" has always stood out to me as a single that was ready-made for Top 40 radio. And, of course, the entire song is intended as a joke--you can tell Paul was having fun with it. I didn't say it was their best song not released as a single, merely that it could have easily been one. Probably the suggestive sound effects at the end prevented it from being considered as a single. Basically, it's catchy, fun and grabs your attention: everything the record companies desire a single to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2008 6:05:49 PM PST
Beautiful suggestion. The sweetness of the melody evokes carefree happiness while the lyrics suggest love that springs from a deep well: "You and I have memories longer than the road ahead of us..." "Two of Us" is one of those rare instances where the words perfectly match the vibe of the melody.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2008 5:43:22 PM PST
My favorite non single Beatles song is "You Never Give Me Your Money"--Abbey Road is a masterpiece

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2008 5:19:50 PM PST
Actually, the best way to figure out what was the best Beatles' song that wasn't a single is to figure out which ones wouldn't have done very well as a single. There are too many album cuts that could have been singles and they would have done well.

OK, the songs that I think would not have made it as a single.
1. Dig A Pony
2. Dig It (too short)
3. Her Majesty (not really a song)
4. It's All Too Much
5. Only a Northern Song
And the clunker of all time; the one song that would not have even been considered;
6. You Know My Name

OK, so I cheated and had the list of all 189 songs in front of me, but there are just too many songs that coulda, shoulda been singles.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2008 10:27:46 PM PST
Another vote for "The Night Before", and "Across the Universe". And probably a few more, but I'll quit while I'm ahead.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2008 10:13:35 PM PST
"Nowhere Man" was #3 in march or 1966. How about Michelle from "Rubber Soul?"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2008 10:07:06 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 27, 2008 10:09:24 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2008 10:07:03 PM PST
The album version of "All I Really Want To Do" by The Byrds is slightly different than the single version. Of course, many songs are longer on the album; one in particular is "Light My Fire" by The Doors. The single is good but the instrumentation in the middle of the song is phenomenal.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Create Your Own Music Quiz At SoundUnwound!
3 20 days ago
Name 10 Song Titles - Part 3 7216 9 hours ago
Most overrated guitarist in rock history... 392 1 day ago
Who Is Your Favorite Female Singer Over The Last 10 Years 136 2 days ago
Led Zeppelin vs Deep Purple: Who's the better live band? 26 6 days ago
Does Anyone Remember Quackamoobacluckaphobia? 6 7 days ago
Who Have You Seen Live From This List 54 9 days ago
Most underrated guitar player in rock history... 1066 13 days ago
What Are You Listening To....Now or Recently? 7225 19 days ago
take all of this weak pop and emo and nerd and art crap off of the punk rock listings and let real punk rock rest with what respect it stil has PART TWO: ANARCHIST BOOGALOO!!!! 1846 19 days ago
Can you think of songs that have " na, na, na, ...." anywhere in the verses? 42 29 days ago
The ONE SONG That EVERY AMERICAN LIKES ? 696 Aug 2, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  72
Total posts:  102
Initial post:  Aug 15, 2007
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions