Customer Discussions > Pop forum

The 897 Greatest Albums of All Time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2008 9:31:45 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Ed,

I ran those two through the allmusic 30-second snippet drill. Hard for me to judge--maybe I should go to You Tube. I like Dave Alvin though. And I did just listen to "Sycophant" by Lisa Germano that you recommended earlier. But I couldn't find that one at YT. And I couldn't find the other two either.

394. U2--Mysterious Ways (8) (surprised it didn't appear on the 897, with all the U2 there)

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2008 10:01:29 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Valerie,

Great! You might not need a spreadsheet for me if I keep giving all of them 0s :-)

393. Supertramp--Breakfast in America (8)

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2008 4:09:52 AM PDT
Alexis says:
Hi folks. Finally, I get to give 'Hair' a go. It was a little difficult for me as I don't remember it all that well so had to the 30 sec snippet method. Other than the well known hits, I didn't take to it very much at all but we are talking the movie soundtrack here as opposed to the original play. I do like the track "Good morning Sunshine" (it would've been better without the gibberish chorus) but I love the melody etc. 'Aquarius' was always so/so in my books but it signified a new wave in consciousness. I guess for the historical & social relevance I've bumped up the overall rating to:

6/10

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2008 4:36:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2008 4:38:38 AM PDT
Alexis says:
896. Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

Definitely deserves a proper listen. I liked what little I heard. To me it was a little reminiscent of the Paris Texas Soundtrack which I love. I love the Cowboy Junkies as well so it was an interesting mix of sounds. Think I'll give it an:
8/10 for now.

895. Scarecrow - John Mellencamp.
This album was on my 'to get' list but was somehow overlooked. I remember how much I really liked it at the time so will give it:

8/10
(gosh I feel like a judge on {country of choice} Idol.

Tomorrow I'll listen to Bush's "Sixteen Stone". "Everything Zen" would certainly bump up the score for me.

TTFN my little chickadees.
lex.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2008 9:12:45 AM PDT
Mark F. says:
Alexis,

Thanks! I agree with you on Hair (though I probably like Aquarius more than you do).

392. Tom Petty--Here Comes My Girl (7)

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2008 2:38:43 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Alexis,

Thanks for your reviews!

391. Eddie Money--Baby Hold On (3)

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2008 7:30:52 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
889. Beck--Sea Change (2002) (0)

1. The Golden Age (?) (5)
2. Paper Tiger (?) (3)
3. Guess I'm Doing Fine (?) (4)
4. Lonesome Tears (?) (3)
5. Lost Cause (3+)
6. End of the Day (?) (2)
7. It's All in Your Mind (?) (2)
8. Round the Bend (?) (2+)
9. Already Dead (?) (2)
10. Sunday Sun (?) (5)
11. Little One (?) (2)
12. Side of the Road (?) (2)

REVIEW: I didn't know any of the material except for Lost Cause, which I've heard a few times, but judging from the sound of it, and knowing his earlier work, I'd probably warm up to it very quickly. Downbeat in the extreme. Still, with no songs I like, I have to give it, yes, a 0.

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2008 8:00:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2008 8:02:38 PM PDT
J.M. Savory says:
howdy ya'll,

not familiar with how things work here, but i do have 2 cents to put in regarding Beck's Sea Change. this is his 'break-up' album and i have heard it called his Blood On the Tracks. also why it IS downbeat. i didn't have my mind blown on first listen. but with successive listens my mind was blown. musically (forget the depressing lyrics) this is an amazing album. i have also heard this called Beck's Fred Neil album. Fred is not an artist i'm overly familiar with, but people always talk highly of his music. i know you're not giving these in-depth listens, and it is a downbeat record. but it's also top-notch music for the ages. that said, it probably is just one of those albums that is not going to be appreciated by people on a macro-cosmic level.
my rating? 10/10 natch. :-)

peace, john

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 2:21:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2008 6:28:52 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Hello all.
Today I've discovered a few things, probably already covered on here and other threads. I'm questioning the validity of the snippet method. I think we already have established the fact that it doesn't do justice to a song. But for the sake of expediency and practicality, I'm afraid we won't have many other options during the course of this survey. And as someone already has mentioned some songs require more than one listen. In my observation, if you sit down to evaluate a song and give it a rating, my belief is you tend to be more critical than you would be if you were listening to it any other time. Your mind scans for likes/dislikes and files them accordingly.

I am glad to say however that I do have Bush's "Sixteen Stone" and I'm also glad to say it's not as heavy as I originally thought (pun intended - come on, did you really expect me to ignore that one). Over the years, I think I've liked it more and more after each listen and today I played some tracks 2 or 3 times.... just because. I've discovered a new favourite - "Alien" which I would've normally dismissed but found I would now give it a 9. I've discovered that the best way to rate a song/album is to have it playing in the background while you do other things but still able to listen effectively. That way you're not really looking for faults etc and sometimes the song's intended beauty catches you by surprise. IMHO.

An interesting point to raise, JD was listening to part of the album with me while playing outside and he commented on how this band sounded like "a Nirvana copycat". The vocals on occasion remind me of Vedder and especially on one track in particular. However the track "Bomb" definitely smells like Nirvana. JD said 'sounds like they have been heavily influenced by Nirvana'. So there you have it.
No you don't I haven't given a rating yet.

894. Bush - Sixteen Stone:
8/10

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 2:43:12 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
Alexis:

I love your post. It doesn't necessarily "agree" with my own experience but it gives meaning to what I've been trying to say about "how we listen". Frankly, I DO think I can assess a song fairly well by one listening. Will it change upon repeated listenings? Possibily. But how many? And if I get sick of it at listen #100, does it mean I never really liked the song? It could mean I should have give a very good song a break.

As for snippets, for me it depends on the song. With some songs, I have gotten the essence of it after 30 seconds. With others not even close. Let's face it, snippets are not judiciously chosen to BE significant to the song. Sometimes, you'll get a piece of an introduction which gives you little of the meat of the song. Or a piece of a chorus. One approach that makes some sense if we don't have an album, is to use snippets first (allmusic/amazon/etc.) and THEN, especially for those songs that don't reveal much with the snippet, try youtube for the entire song. Evidently, others have been doing this.

I'm trying to hold out for the albums. Last night, I went to a library to pick up a copy of Hair. I'll do that today. (Shortly after my return, the winds began to howl and when that happens, we usually wind up losing power and we did so from around 6:30-7pm to 3:30 am. At least it didn't last long enough to cause ruination of all of our freezer/refrigerator items.) But it's not 5:30 am here and after I catch a short nap, I'll be ready to tackel Hair. I'm still awaiting a copy of Talk Talk's Laughing Stock which I am REALLY looking forward to. It will be a good test of the snippet method because using them only, the album sounded mind blowing. I'll also finally finish Bush's "Sixteen Stone". Instead of struggling to find my cassette of it, I accidently found a cd stashed with some stuff my daughter was giving away. She probably thought it was an album of George Bush.

I'm interested in my own opinion of Bush (the rock group) after listening to the entire album. I DID suggest they sounded more like Pearl Jam than Nirvana. I guess it was because of the vocals, mostly. But, perhaps with a careful listen of the entire piece, I'll get a true "whiff" of "Bomb" and find that it DOES "smell like Nirvana" after all.

I remember when Bush's album first arrived and the critics seemed to pounce on it as being so derivitive of Nirvana/Pearl Jam. At the time, I actually liked "Everything Zen" a lot. They seemed dedicated to convincing me that the song was a piece of "hoakum". I wonder if they "got to me".

We shall see.

reflective ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 4:59:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2008 5:07:38 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
#897 - HAIR - ORIGINAL BROADWAY CAST RECORDING

1. Aquarius - Ronald Dyson & Co. - 9 (love his voice...I DO like this better than the 5th Dimension. It's more exciting.
2. Donna - Gerome Ragni & Co. - 8 ( for a relatively short piece, it is fun. Kinda like a poor man's "Officer Krupke" from West Side Story...comic relief)
3. Hashish - Company - 8 (only a "musical list" of drugs but the mood of the piece works because it is.....druggie)
4. Sodomy - Steve Curry & Co. - 7 (why this "list song" is not quite as entertaining is probably the time. Today it seems to try too hard. The tune is generic.
5. Colored Spade - 7 (another list song with the shock value a bit passe...the tune is generic, too.
6. Manchester England - james Rado and Co. - 6 (despite some clever lyrics, it doesn't mean much to me)
7. I'm Black - Lamont Washington/Steve Curry/Gerome Ragni, james Rado - 8 (short and sweet)
8. Ain't Got No - Curry/Washington/Moore/Co. - 8 (short and sweet, again)
9. I Believe in Love - Moore and Co. - 6 (I don't like it much including the vocal)
10. Ain't Got No (reprise) - Co. - 6 (doesn't work that well)
11. Air - Eaton/Plimpton/Moore/Co. - 7 (not so much as music as a theatrical piece...vocal is more funny than musical...I like it anyway)
12. Initials - Co. 7 (somewhat clever lyric)
13. I Got Life - james Rado & Co. (6) (This may have worked well on stage but as a musical piece it gets a bit irritating. I'll take The Kinks hard to find "Where Did the Spring Go?" .
14. Going Down - Gerome Ragni & Co. (5)
15. Hair - james Rado/Gerome Ragni/Co. (8) A signature piece.
16. My Conviction - Jonathan Kramer (8) funny/entertaining....even the squeeky voice.
17. Easy to Be Hard - Lynn Kellogg - (7) the song still works but I don't like Lynn's intonation. Would I feel that way had I NOT heard 3 Dog Night? Beats me.
18. Don't Put it Down - Ragni/Curry - (8) I like this. It reminds me of a Zappa parody without his mix of doo wop/classical affectations.
19. Frank Mills - Shelley Plimpton - (10) I love this and I don't know why. I think it is the voice mostly.
20. Be-In - Company - (7) This was probably an exciting piece on stage. Here, you can only imagine.
21. Where Do I Go? - Rado/Co. - (8) Within the context of the musical, this one seems to work quite well.
22. Electric Blues - Paul Jabara/Co. - (5) Does nothing for me.
23. manchester England (reprise) - Rado/Co. - (6)
24. Black Boys - Keaton/Norstrand/Mosco - (6) Probably titillatingly shocking at the time but now not much....
25. White Boys - Moore/Davis/Marks - (7) A bit better musically.
26. Walking in Space - Co. (7) A beauty until it picks up tempo.
27. Abie Baby - Davis/Washington/Dyson/Burks - (7)
28. Three-Five-Zero-Zero - Company (8)
29. What a Piece of Work is man - Dyson/Harris (7)
30. Good Morning Starshine - Kellogg/Moore/Rado/Ragni (7) a discernible melody but not that engaging. Maybe it was ruined by the pop charts.
31. The Bed - Company 5
32. The Flesh Failures (Let the Sunshine In) - Rado/Kellog/Moore/Co. 8
OVERALL RATING: 7

EXPLANATORY NOTES:

1. I NEVER saw the movie OR the play and only have a sketchy, generic vision of what it was about.
2. I CANNOT listen to these songs ONLY as music, divorced from the play/movie. I KNOW it was in that context and it affects my opinion of them, even having never actually seen it/them.
3. For the above reason, all my ratings of individual songs and the album ARE influenced by that sense. I'd guess that without the play as a unifying theme, I'd only embrace one song....Frank Mills. I heard some of the "Easy to Be Hard" I DO like this version but wouldn't have felt the way I do now about it if I'd ONLY heard this one. I'm not sure about Aquarius or the others I gave 8's and above to.
4. Frankly, in retrospect, it seems a bit like "Grease" and I've never even heard the whole soundtrack to that one either, let alone seen the movie. It seems as though both could have been so much better musically. If this music was partly successful in conveying "hippie sensibilities" about love, sex, war, race, etc., it surely WASN'T as it relates to music. I was somewhat shocked by that, listening to it all for the first time and thinking about it as an entire piece. I mean, West Side Story took the energy of the streets and filtered it thru jazz and classical sensibilities and STILL made you FEEL the streets. When I used to watch tv in the 60's and early 70's, I was bemused whenever shows would attempt to depict "hippies" because they always wound up looking like they were straight out of central casting, complete with "generic hippie costume and "generic hippie beard" (only the guys got the beard....the girls had a peasant blouse). They NEVER got it right. Here, the music IS a theatrical depiction of 60's subculture without the actual music.

ed.

ps. Why did I give it a "7" again?.......good intentions?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 6:11:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2008 10:36:46 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
Mark:

#890 - ZAPPA/MOTHERS - FREAK OUT

1. Hungry Freaks, Daddy - 10
2. I Ain't Got No Heart - 8
3. Who Are the Brain Police - 10
4. Go Cry On Somebody Else's Shoulder - 9
5. Motherly Love 8
6. How Could I Be Such A Fool (10)
7. Wowie Zowie (10)
8. You Didn't Try To Call Me (10)
9. Any Way the Wind Blows (8)
10. I'm Not Satisfied (8)
11. You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here (9)
12. Trouble Every Day (9)
13. Help! I'm a Rock (10)
14. It Can't Happen Here (10)
15. The Return of the Son of Monster maget (9)

OVERALL ALBUM REVIEW: 10

1. I KNEW, being the first I'd ever heard of Zappa, that this one was special to me, not only in expanding my musical sensibilities but it being the FIRST of a series of Zappa albums I truly embraced. But, I figured that some later ones, all pre-1971, would have made this one seem a bit passe. Then, in trying to make a list of favorite "songs", I began going thru Zappa stuff and found as many possibilites for my "Best 1000" from this album as ANY album of his.
2. With some of these, I can explain my feelings for them only in the juxtaposition between pop/rock/classical elements. A seemingly goofy song about "freaks" is stylistically as much orchestral as it is rock. Yet, the meshing of the two worlds works wonders for me. "Go Cry" is great doo wop parody, with love. "How Could I Be Such a Fool" begins as an uptempo waltz and I'm not sure what it ends as....Stuff like "Who Are the Brain Police" and "Help Im a Rock" and "It Can't Happen Here" are both experimental and funny to me. I surely can understand how many would not agree.

Yes, I still LOVE this album! Unlike a lot of Zappa afficienados I've met on the net, I did NOT continue that love throughout his career. By 1971, I found his records more and more hit and miss. I'd get ahold of them eventually to sift thru and find the good parts but seldom did any of them interest me as this one did or "Absolutely Free" "We're Only in it For the Money", "Lumpy Gravy", "Uncle Meat", "Burnt Weenie Sandwich", "Hot Rats", and parts of "Weasels Ripped My Flesh", etc. This sounds like a lot of albums of his I truly love and I guess it is but the man released 30-40 albums AFTER 1970 (!!) that I only sporadically enjoyed so it was an early "spurt" of his creative genius that I embrace (1965-1970) and then bits and pieces during most of his later career....

Unlike Captain Beefheart, The Hampton Grease Band, Pylon, James Chance/White, Suicide and other off-kilter types, Zappa was a hit and misser for me during most of his career including the time when he was the most successful commercially. I still find it amazing and quite sad that even critics who know his earlier work will often list his Apostrophe (1974?) as one of his best albums. That's the one with "Don't You Eat that Yellow Snow". It makes a grown man cry. Then I remember about personal taste and all and get over it.

emotional ed.

ps. My last edit of this was trying to clean up the writing to make sense of it. I'm not sure I still got my message across.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 7:39:33 AM PDT
Alexis says:
There are songs that I take to straight away. Sometimes, however (maybe depending on my level of awareness at the time or a shift in focus), a substantial part of a song may escape me or I fail to connect with it, only to have it 'surprise' me when I least expect it. And I agree with you Ed, instantly disliking a song isn't going to change after x amount of listens if it doesn't fall within that range of listenability that you've mentioned.
I did like Laughing Stock after 30 sec samples. It'll be interesting to see how valid my ratings are over a number of albums ie how many I feel deserve a better, more intensive evaluation based on short samples. I was going to revise Leon Russel's Carney but am too tired. (Talk about howling wind, it's blowing a gale at the moment - better get the candles ready just in case).

lex

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 11:37:22 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
Mark:

#892 - ANIMAL COLLECTIVE - Sung Tongs

1. Leaf House (10)
2. Who Could Win a Rabbit (9)
3. The Softest Voice (10) ....a mix of new agey, Brian Wilson and avant garde-ism. Quite pretty.
4. Winter's Love (10)
5. Kids on Holiday (10)
6. Sweet Road (9)
7. Visiting Friends (8) I almost feel guilty ranking this so high. I'm often knocking the likes of the Dead for endless jams with no discernable purpose and this one consists of 12+ minutes of some pleasant acoustic guitar strumming with some noises and altered voices in the background.....yes, I guess you could get high to it. I kind of floated off myself and with no drugs yet....
8. College (10).....I hear Brian Wilson doing Smiley Smile here....
9. We Tigers (9) experimental jungle music....or did it sound native american?
10. Mouth Wooed Her (9)...(this sounds a bit like some experimental "classical" music I have....it loses steam in the end, though and just fades)
11. Good Lovin' Outside (8) this may sound funny to Mark but this one suffers from being too unfocused.
12. Whaddit I Done (10) yeah, I can understand why this would be puzzling to many. This is music? Yes, a different kind of music. And, yes, I find it VERY listenable. With a smile on my face.

OVERALL ALBUM RATING: 10

Yeah, it is a bit indulgent in its own quiet way. I do like the fact that in today's music world, it is just as likely to find an experimental/avant garde group playing acoustic/folk music as wildly distorted acid pyche. This is quiet psyche and is quite good but no one should lay down the bucks without testing their mettle on a few snippets or a youtube tune or two....it ain't for everybody.

ed.

ps. I'm putting Lyle Lovett on hold like Talk Talk. Both have been ordered from the library. I think I'll pass on doing a "preliminary" on Lyle. I'm a bit confused though. I checked my master list and found only 3 or 4 Lovett albums on vinyl or cd. Since I thought I had a lot of them, they must be on cassette which I haven't cataloged yet. Rather than do some digging, I ordered the cd.

On to Beck....

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 11:55:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2010 2:15:47 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
John,

Good analysis, and welcome to the discussion. I don't know Fred Neil--Ed, Alexis, and Valerie might know him. I did read a blurb on Wiki about Beck having wrote it after having broken up, thus the dark mood. There is not one upbeat song on the entire album, which after my favorite from him, Odelay, is quite a change.
As for in-depth listens, you're right, there's no way I can do that and keep this list moving along, so I'll have to do the best I can with one listen. Which will mean for me that basically any album I'm not familiar with will get an automatic 0. I think that's fairer than giving it a preliminary rating that could go up or down depending on how I feel about it after several listens. As it is, wiith just one listen at the rate of likely 1 to 2 albums per day, it's going to take a couple of years to get through the list :-O But if you have the patience, I hope you'll hang around and continue to contribute.

And now for today's album:

888. Linda Ronstadt--Heart Like a Wheel (1974--#1) (3)

1. You're No Good (9)
2. It Doesn't Matter Anymore (4)
3. Faithless Love (?) (3)
4. The Dark End of the Street (?) (4)
5. Heart Like a Wheel (?) (3)
6. When Will I Be Loved? (8+)
7. Willin' (?) (2)
8. I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You) (?) (2)
9. Keep Me From Blowing Away (?) (2)
10. You Can Close Your Eyes (?) (2+)

REVIEW: Like most of you on here, I adore Linda and her singing voice. I love the two big hits on here, but am largely unfamiliar with the rest of it. I know I have the album somewhere--probably still up at my mom's house, because she likes her and had listened to them at one time. Anyway, I give it a 3.

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 12:13:18 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Mark:

#889. Beck - Sea Change:

1. The Golden Age (10) A beauty.
2. Paper Tiger (8)
3. Guess I'm Doing Fine (10)
4. Lonesome Tears (9)
5. Lost Cause (10)
6. End of the Day (8)
7. It's All in Your Mind (10)
8. Round the Bend (10)
9. Already Dead (10)
10. Sunday Sun (10)
11. Little One (10)
12. Side of the Road (9)

OVERALL ALBUM RATING: 10

The first time I heard Beck (Loser) I liked him. I did, however, wonder if he was a quirk...a one hit wonder for a new age. It turns out, with every new album, he'd be dabbling in something new, something fresh. This is music for late night.....lights off. A beauty.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 4:13:02 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Mark/John:

Neil is/was quite an important part of the NYC scene in the 60's. He is probably still most famous for his having penned "Everybody's Talkin" for Midnight Cowboy. If I ever researched to find out why they used his song but not his voice, I have forgotten it. Perhaps they thought Nilsson had a quality to his voice that Neil didn't. It was only about 7-8 years ago that I actually took the time to investigate Fred's work. I guy who was on a music message board on yahoo had worked at Max's KC in NYC and thought very highly of him. I began collecting some of his work on tape and like it alot. I'd have to think about the Beck/Neil musical similarities.

Mark, I think I've FINALLY arrived at a point where I understand your recent ratings. I mean, I KNEW how you felt about rating "best songs" that you didn't truly know but it took me awhile to understand that you were carrying this over to albums. Frankly, if I took that position, I'd be skipping a lot of albums I truly love, simply because a few songs were never much to me and I wouldn't remember them at all.

I guess that's why I had repeated my own modus operandi (I know, not even close).....

1. I try to rate everything as long as I can find the recorded song in my collection, at the library, on youtube or, if necessary on a definitive snippet. I usually can sense when a 30 second clip gives me a what I need to rate the song. Sometimes, I'm later proven wrong.

2. Again, I use a 10-0 rating with 10-8 being highly listenable or listenable without reservation. The 10's would surely be on any list of my favorite songs/albums. 7-5 are listenable with reservation, 4-2 are listenable with serious reservation and 1-0 are not worth listening to......I'm probably more "liberal" in what I'll listen to than most people.

I guess we all rate records differently just like we all listen to records differently. One thing has been true over the years. I seldom make big changes to what I think of a song/album because (a) repeated listening makes me realize the music sucks or (b) repeated listening makes me realize I missed something great about it or (c) repeated listening makes me sick of listening to it anymore.

I only wish I had the time (yes, even in retirement) to give attention to EVERY artist/song/album I am interested in or would like to investigate in depth. Why didn't anyone approach me when I was 15 and ask me to become a rock critic/record reviewer (and become "intimately" acquainted with female rockers/groupies....

ed

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 5:47:04 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Mark:

Foiled again! But the excitement is building again. What kind of a Stones fan were you? That is the question. Did you like them even close to the Beatles? If so, perhaps we WILL get a rating for "Flowers". (Yeah, I know, I said that about "Heart Like a Wheel". ) Which reminds me. With my newly organized albums in the garage, let's see how quickly I can pull Linda's and LS's (I dont even try to spell them anymore...I think I have their 2nd album). Maybe we should take a poll to guess when we'll get to an album I won't gush over....ok, I didn't truly gush for Hair. I didn't even gush for Bush although I gave it an 8. Maybe an 8 can be called "gush-lite".

punchy...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 9:19:36 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Alexis,

So is it 15 Stone? :-)

390. Pink Floyd--Us & Them (8)

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 9:48:03 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Ed,

I never heard the Bush--Nirvana--Pearl Jam connection until this group brought it up. When I pulled up the album on Wiki, it was categorized as post-grunge. Now I hear the connection, but only after being prompted to listen for it. So I guess it wasn't that strong a connection for me.

389. Rush--Working Man (1) (I barely remember this--I think a listener used to request it when I was a DJ and so I obliged him and played it, but I find it to be heavy-footed rock of the worst sort).

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 10:08:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2008 10:23:34 PM PDT
Alexis says:
A funny thing happened on my way to the forum. I got side-tracked you might say. I've mentioned The Do on either here or the other thread.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bBkEQYdMM8

Now here is a perfect example of when you should give a song a number of listens. When I first heard this song, it was on Rage in the wee small hours of the morning. The 'sound' was relatively new. I was tempted to disengage but found there was something compelling about it just the same. Had it been a 30 sec sample, I probably would not have bothered. It took nearly 3/4 of the song before I realised I liked certain elements of it and by the end of it I was hooked! Still, I wondered how it would fare after another listen. My opinion didn't change.I would need to listen to more songs off the album before I buy it however.

I found Joanna Newsom, that Ed once mentioned, to effect me the same way. The first 20 seconds of it took a bit of getting used to. It's like your brain is assimilating a new 'sound' (she sounds a little like a child wailing, a description she doesn't appreciate - who can blame her - or more accurately has an Appalachian/hillbilly influence. Not everyone's taste that's for certain. But same deal. I need to sample more before I make up my mind as there was something really compelling about the song "Sadie" other than the highly emotional and beautifully phrased lyrics.

Now I really need to get on with assessing Leon.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 10:17:50 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Ed,

I saw the movie but I still only have a vague idea of what it's about. Of course, I saw it going on 25 years ago at a screening at my college. They showed some good movies--Taps, Officer and a Gentleman, Breaking Away, American Gigilo, and Deathtrap (which drew gasps from the audience--this was a Catholic college--when Michael Caine and Christoper Reeve kissed). And if you want to see a laughable attempt at portraying hippies, go to You Tube and look for the Freedom Rock ad.

388. Fleetwood Mac--Rhiannon (6+)

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 10:20:11 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Funny Mark, really funny. Probably diminishes slightly with each listen unless you feel it is "gush-lite" as Ed described. I prefer to think of it as Stone Free.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 10:45:38 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Ed,

You did fine!

387. Led Zeppelin--Houses of the Holy (#298)
386. Talking Heads--Take Me to the River (#315)
385. Rolling Stones--Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) (7+)

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2008 3:25:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2008 4:24:12 AM PDT
Alexis says:
OK, gave Carney a whirl. I rated the songs between the 7-9 range and giving it a conservative 8. Definitely needs another listen. I'm getting quite predictable here.

893. Leon Russell - Carney:
8/10

892. Animal Collective - Tung Songs or was it Sung Tongs? I think the latter.

What can I say but deliriously trippy. Experimental, often hypnotic. Definitely interesting. 2 glasses of wine probably helped set the mood. One track reminded me of someone practising their vocal scales. I felt that they were pushing the boundaries, building up a palate, mixing layers of sound as if that was an artform in itself. I rated the songs between 7-8 as a very conservative estimate and probably try to get the album from the library. I feel repeated listening could enhance the intoxicating effect.
More 8's than 7's so I give it:

8/10
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  100
Total posts:  3889
Initial post:  Sep 9, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 6, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions