Customer Discussions > Pop forum

What Are You Listening To....Now or Recently?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 7211 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2007 4:19:19 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
Last night I took a walk through the 70s. It was spurred by a regular feature of my radio station "9 at 9" that is they play 9 songs of a theme, artist, year, etc. and today's theme was Strings. Actually what I was listening to was a lot of stuff that could have strings but mostly didn't. And then, as usual, the albums got to me and I had to listen to the whole thing so it was (in no particular order)

ELO - El Dorado
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
Kansas - Kansas
and then I finally found my misplaced Burning Sensations (self-titled) album so went through that even though it is from the 80s and didn't really fit the other stuff. Maria (you just don't know what you're dealing with) is still one of my favorite songs. Catchy sax riffs can't ever hurt.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2007 8:16:42 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:20:27 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2007 12:55:48 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
M.J. Gawlik....some thoughts:

I've always had a problem with Seeger. Surely it ISN'T his sicerity of purpose. But he represents, to me anyway, the distance between folk music that doesn't sound "folky" vs. folk music that sounds "of the people", regardless of how poetic the language can sometimes be. That other side is Dylan. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dylan NEVER sounds pretentious, regardless of how mind blowing his use of the language is. He lets the words roll of his tongue naturally. Seeger ALWAYS sounds like the high school music teacher whose trying to impress the students at the importance of the words he's singing. And THAT is the true genius of Dylan......his ability to synthesis in his singing style all the voices he heard while growing up. It doesn't surprise me how pissed Seeger was at Dylan in Newport. After all, Dylan wasn't enunciating properly! Funny thing though...I seldom here people complain about not understanding what Dylan is singing.....oh, perhaps a few songs are a bit fast at first listen.....songs like Subterranean Homesick Blues, etc. But, by and large, people CAN hear the words, even when they are slurred a bit. Again, no attack on Seeger here. I have a lot of his stuff, too. I simply think he never sounded much like a "man of the people" regardless of how passionate he is about the issues he sings about....

Of your "summer of love" artists, it seems that the Airplane have suffered a decline in respect since the 60's. Maybe its because they didn't simply fade as a group but rather disintegrated before our eyes/ears with the jefferson starship and then, the odious Starship. Gracie, the ice queen, became the loud obnoxious boozer who you DIDNT want to hear talking about her experiences in the 60's. Not only did she lose her voice but her sense of timing. In some songs, her pauses can send chills down your spine (House at Pooneil Corners comes to mind)....Moby Grape, of course, NEVER got the cred they deserved, even when they were hot for about 5 minutes. They suffered from an over ambitious publicity campaign and never seemed to get over it. Country Joe and the Fish don't seem to be given THEIR due.....they tend to be remember only for "I Feel Like I'm Fixin to Die" and not for the wonderful psychy instrumentals....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2007 12:57:04 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
Anna:

I have a LOT of "world music" but of those you mentioned, only A. Kidjo is in my collection. Maybe I'll do some checking....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2007 7:21:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2007 7:22:15 AM PDT
M. J. Gawlik says:
Mr. Dill, I agree with all your notes. But I'd bump Mr. Seeger
to college prof instead of high school teacher. He always came
arcoss to me as a little high & mighty, but I still enjoy so
much of his music. It's seems like Dylan's actions at Newport were
a personal affront to Seeger.

As much as I love so much of the '60's folk era; Patrick Sky, Tom
Paxton, Eric Andersen, Tom Rush, Judy Collins, Buffy Sainte-Marie,
Fred Neil, Ramblin' Jack Elliot, the one man who fascinates me is
Phil Ochs. For some reason, and I really don't understand what
that reason might be, he seems to have stood in the shadow of
Dylan, and in what I've read about the man it seems that even
Ochs considered himself a second-class citizen to Dylan. His songs
were just as strong, meaningful and valid as anthing Dylan has done.

I, myself, was never a Grace Slick fan. I still favor their debut,
"Jefferson Airplane Takes Off" with Signe Andersen & Marty Balin
holding down the fort. I had a great couple of years listening to
Moby Grape, the Fish, the Paupers, Cream and Hendrix. I am one of
those who cries "They don't make music like that anymore." Well,
of course "they" do, I just hear very little of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2007 7:54:48 AM PDT
D. Gaston says:
Lizz Wright. WONDERFUL voice. Unlike a lot of young R&B and Jazz singers, she doesn't let "over-ornamentation" tyrannize the beauty of the song. This is the kind of singer a songwriter wants to find.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2007 11:52:29 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
Yeah, Seeger WAS pissed, not only because of the electrified instrumentation but Dylan's enunciation and who knows what else....he was threatening put the scissors to Dylan's power. Thank God he failed. He'd have been the DEAD Seeger who died by electrocution out of sheer jealousy, ruining his illustrious career and, of course, the remainder of this life.

I have stuff by all the folkies you've mentioned and they ARE among my favorites. Still, none seem to have the flair for the language like Dylan does. I'm trying to remember that Sky albums that was banned....I'll have to dig it out. I can't remember if the problems stemmed from it being too political or obscene or both.

I never was a BIG Ochs follower but got upset reading one of the better Dylan bios recounting a scene in the Village where Dylan, performing to a packed house, decided to mock Ochs who was sitting at a table, no doubt drunk on booze and Dylan's talent. (It reminds me of the scene in the Dylan film where Donovan is watching and listening to Bob in his hotel room and he has this "deer in headlights" look about him...like, so what else do I want to do besides sing. Of course, he committed suicide eventually and I always wondered why Dylan would further fxck with someone who wasn't wired that tightly by then anyway....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2007 3:46:24 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
As I type this, I'm reacquainting myself with the great Skylarking album by XTC, produced by Todd R.

Frankly, I've always thought of it as a mini-Pet Sounds. I'm not exactly sure what I mean by that musically, but its there.

I was reading a discussion about Dear God, the song that was added to the album later when it become a "hit". It IS a song that is taken as a song about atheism or, at the very least, loss of faith. For me, that may be true but it is supremely ironic to have the singer singing TO GOD that he doesn't believe in HIM. It kind of reminds me of my skirting between atheism and agnosticism my whole adult life. I am the only person I know who can declare himself one or the other and then watch "Jesus of Nazareth" and wind up emotionally drained by the time it's over.

Anyway, Skylarking should ALWAYS be at or near the top of any list of my favorite "pop" albums of all time.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2007 4:05:25 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
I've also been acquainting myself with several more albums by Zap Mama....the one that truly caught my fancy today was "Ancestry in Progress". I think I now have 5 or 6 by them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2007 4:12:12 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
I also just finished listening to a "Get Together" album by the Youngbloods. It is NOT the original album of that name (which I still have on vinyl and which, I believe, was changed to that name when the song exploded on the charts)....this is a 21 cut "Hits" package and I haven't had time to go thru my favorite albums of them to see how well this package covers them. (I wanted a cd....all my stuff of theirs is on vinyl or cassette)

Some of my favorites beside GT:

Grizzly Bear (fun)
All Over the World (Jesse at his best!)
Euphoria
Reason to Believe (its a toss up between Jesse and Tim H.)
All My Dreams Blue
Sugar Babe
Dreamers Dream'
Darkness, Darkness (I once made a tape for a friend consisting of the 3 versions of this song I knew and had....this one, the Move's and one (perhaps my favorite) by an obscure band named Red, Wilder and Blue....
Ride the Wind

I also have a few Jess Colin Young solo albums on vinyl.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2007 4:16:57 PM PDT
Some songs I've been listening to today:

So Small - Carrie Underwood's new single - downloaded it from iTunes at lunchtime today
Wait For You - Elliott Yamin
Kelly Sweet - Raincoat
Enrique Iglesias - Hero
Phil Collins - Against All Odds
Josh Groban - You Raise Me Up

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2007 4:49:31 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:19:30 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2007 10:25:05 PM PDT
Currently listening to:

DIAMANDA GALAS - The Singer
JARBOE - Magick For Cherishings
ALCEST - Souvenirs d'un autre monde
KLAUS SCHULTZE - Dig It
HALF MAKESHIFT - L'anse A'mort
RUSH - Snakes And Arrows
DISRUPT - Unrest
NEUROSIS - Given To The Rising
ASUNDER - Works Will Come
FRANTIC BLEEP - The Sense Apparatus
CAN - Ege Bamyasi

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2007 10:54:55 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
I was interested in your "playlist" and also the fact that you obviously need to add a "t" to Klaus' name, too. I mean, hey, I KNOW how to spell Schultze.....obviously Klaus NEEDS a lesson.

There IS an artist named named Paul Schultze that I also have in my collection (New Maps of Hell) which only adds to my confusion. Well, music isn't spelling anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2007 11:58:16 AM PDT
Klaus is much older than I, so he wins by default on the spelling. My apologies to the Schulze clan. Even though I have over twenty of his records,(all splendid, by the way)I can't spell the name...oh well...whaddayagunnado?

Also listening to:

CATHEDRAL - Caravan Beyond Redemption
PLANES MISTAKEN FOR STARS - Mercy
ZOZOBRA - Harmonic Tremors
MOUTH OF THE ARCHITECT/KENOMA - Split CD
CIRCUS OF POWER - Magic And Madness
POPOL VUH - Sing, For Song Drives Away The Wolves
STORMCROW - Enslaved In Darkness
ARTIMUS PYLEDRIVER - s/t
DAVID BOWIE - Low
VARIOUS ARTISTS - Them Boners Be Poppin'

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2007 12:18:00 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
When I read your list, I was trying to remember how I became aware of Popol Vuh. I think it was thru Piero Scaruffi (www.scaruffi.com).

Hmmm, I'm afraid to ask what kind of music is on "Them Boners Be Poppin'".....but I will just HAVE to check it out....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2007 12:19:36 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:19:28 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2007 3:12:33 PM PDT
It's an old hardcore compilation from BONER Records. A couple of good bands on it(BLAST, FANG, VERBAL ABUSE and a few others).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2007 4:06:34 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
BTW, not to sound like a spammer, but in checking the various versions of "Let's Take Some Drugs...." besides the one I have, I saw that my soundtrack AND the Setters album from whence it came are both on amazon.com for next to nothing. ($0.01 - 1.00 plus 2.98 shipping). I may actually spring for the Setters album since I ONLY have the one song on the ST.

That's the weird thing about bargains. I can get this album for $3.00 with a song I'd hate to be without and yet if I wanted the Dave Clark Five hits collection, it'd cost me $50.00. Go figure.

(the DC5 thing is from a diffent discussion)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2007 4:07:58 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Wow! I've confused one topic for another....my discussion about "Let's Take Some Drugs..." is from the car/cruisin board. I'm thoroughly confused now...

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2007 3:59:52 PM PDT
Just got in a bunch of new music this past week:

ALCHEMIST - Tripsis (advance copy)
ZOROASTER - Dog Magic
HIGH ON FIRE - Death Is The Communion
GRAVE IN THE SKY - Cutlery Hits China
RED SPARROWES - Every Red Heart Shines Toward The Red Sun
RUSSIAN CIRCLES - Enter
SEA OF GREEN - Time To Fly
TERRA FIRMA - s/t
DIAMANDA GALAS - Masque Of The Red Death Trilogy BOX SET
TANGERINE DREAM - Phaedra
SUNN O))) - Altar
FOETUS - Deaf
FOETUS - Love
EDGAR FROESE - Aqua
CHROME DIVISION - Doomsday Rock N'Roll
VAN HALEN - Diver Down
RUINS - Refusal Fossil

Haven't made my monthly record store visit yet...but I'll get around to it eventually.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2007 8:28:30 PM PDT
M. J. Gawlik says:
Kiss Me Deadly - Lita Ford
He Can't Love You - Michael Stanley Band
Slow & Easy - Whitesnake

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2007 10:09:59 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
WOW! Talk about "guilty pleasures".

Ok, backtracking a bit....

I remember, vaguely, the first time I saw The Lizzy McGuire Show. I liked it. I liked the fact that Lizzy (Hilary Duff) was a very pretty girl who played her character as a bit of a ditz....a girl with all the insecurities and problems that a "normal" girl of 14-15 would have.....and she was a survivor. These teen dramas NEVER got the best of her. I liked my daughter watching the show.

When it is clear that Duff was leaving Disney and going onto bigger and better things, I wondered. I could see that Lindsay was making the transition from "tween" star to teen/young adult actress. (Now, that seems a bit premature). But Duff had not yet shown she could do a role that required a bit of maturity.

She made an album. It was mostly harmless pop. Her voice was ok (thin) and the songs were tween fodder, mostly. Still I wondered.

For the past two days, I've been hearing pieces and parts of a pop song on the radio....I liked it A LOT! I had no idea who it was so I jotted down a few of the lyrics.....I did my net research and lo and behold! It's HILARY! The song is "Stranger".

I wonder what the rest of the album sounds like?

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 9:18:45 PM PDT
More new purchases:

EDGAR FROESE - Stuntman
EDGAR FROESE - Dalinetopia
EDGAR FROESE - Ambient Highway VOLS.1-4
MRTYU - Blood Tantra
BOOK OF THE BLACK EARTH - The Feast
ACID MOTHER'S TEMPLE - Minstrel In The Galaxy

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 9:22:56 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:17:31 PM PST]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  777
Total posts:  7211
Initial post:  Jul 21, 2007
Latest post:  5 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 37 customers

Search Customer Discussions