Best Live Albums Of All TIme

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-82 of 82 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 14, 2012 5:27:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2012 5:27:52 AM PDT
Snoo says:
OOPS...

Led Zeppelin "The Song Remains The Same"
(this album seems to get trashed by many around here...I love it !)

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 2:37:27 PM PDT
Wings Over America - Paul McCartney and Wings
Bursting Out - Jethro Tull
Live and Dangerous - Thin Lizzy
Live at Luther College - Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds
Stop Making Sense - The Talking Heads
Concert for Bangladesh - George Harrison and Friends
Rattle and Hum - U2
The Song Remains the Same - Led Zeppelin

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 8:04:26 PM PDT
Two Tub Man says:
Live At Fillmore East / Atlanta Pop Festival, July 3 & 5, 1970 - The Allman Brothers Band
Raunch & Roll...Live! - Black Oak Arkansas
On Your Feet...Or On Your Knees - Blue Oyster Cult
Samurai Rock Band (Bootleg of FM broadcast, Rockford, 10/77) - Cheap Trick
Live In Europe / Irish Tour - Rory Gallagher
Kick Out The Jams - The MC5 (Truly deserves the expanded full concert reissue treatment)
It's Alive! - The Ramones
Live and Dangerous - Thin Lizzy
Live At Leeds - The Who (expanded non-Tommy edition)
Live At The Whiskey A Go-Go - X
Transistor Blast - XTC

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:24:16 PM PST
1. Unleashed In The East-Judas Priest
2. Strangers In The Night-UFO
3. Made In Japan-Deep Purple
4. Live After Death-Iron Maiden
5. Live-Robin Trower
6. Double Live Gonzo-Ted Nugent
7. Irish Tour '74-Rory Gallagher
8. All The Worlds A Stage-Rush
9. If You Want Blood-AC/DC
10. Tokyo Tapes-Scorpions
11. Live-Foghat
12. Onstage-Rainbow
13. Ghost In The Ruins-Savatage
14. Live-Frank Marino And Mahogany Rush
15. On Your Feet On Your Knees-Blue Oyster Cult
16. Live And Dangerous-Thin Lizzy
17. Get Yer Ya-Yas Out-Rolling Stones
18. Band Of Gypsys-Jimi Hendrix
19. Live Killers-Queen
20. Livecrime-Queensryche
21. Tribute-Ozzy Osbourne/Randy Rhoads(This one should be in Top 10. I forgot it!)
22. And Live-Johnny Winter
23. Reunion-Black Sabbath
24. Neon Nights-Heaven And Hell
25. Rock Will Never Die-Michael Schenker Group

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 11:32:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 11:36:24 PM PST
Lots and lots of old favorites seen here on these lists, and I won't bother to re-cap them although it is tempting, i.e., Deep Purple MIJ, Live at Leeds, Bangladesh, Hendrix at Monterey, Velvet Underground Live 1969, David Live, etc.

Most of my favorite live albums are bootlegs. The sound is often not as sharp as commercially released live albums, but the soul and the power of the music still cuts through loud and clear!!!

So here is my list:

Bob Dylan Live at the Royal Albert Hall with the Band 1966. NOT the commercial release, which ironically has really terrible, muddy sound--a good ol' fashioned Swinging Pig release suits me fine!!! Perhaps the greatest single live show ever....

Bob Dylan Live in 1965 on BBC Radio (solo tour).One is called "Now Aint the Time for Your Tears". Also, there are a couple of shows from 1963 at Carnegie Hall and Berkeley Auditorium that are earth-shatteringly great. Just one guy and a guitar, and nothing would ever be the same... There is an early Rolling Thunder Review show 11/11/75 ("Satisfied Man"), and also one from Ft. Worth TX that every Dylan fan should hear.

David Bowie and the Spiders from Mars Live at Santa Monica Civic Auditorium 10/20/72 (this show has had a few decent commercial releases). There are many boots from this tour, including the last Bowie & Spiders show 7/2/73 at Hammersmith Odeon, but I have always adored the Civic show best. Right up there with Dylan 66 at Royal Albert Hall.

Liv'r Than You'll Ever Be by the Rolling Stones 11/9/69 from Oakland CA (a few weeks before YaYa's was recorded, but includes an amazing version of I'm Free in the set list, a song that they dropped out of the show a few days after this. Incredible solo by Mick Taylor, and a quite powerful vocal by Mr. Jagger. There were two shows that day, the better one being the evening show. The sound goes out on Jumpin' Jack Flash, the first song, and sometimes it's not even on the record, so the fun starts with "Carol", but it is the Stones at their best from then on.... Top 3 along with Dylan 66 and Bowie at the Civic.

Rolling Stones -- anything from the 72-73 tour with decent sound, like Bedspring Symphony etc. A band on fire, fire that is white hot....every night....

The Beatles Live on Swedish radio October (?) 1963. Only about 8 or 9 cuts, but the band is tight, hot, and ready to take on the world. Unlike Shea Stadium, Hollywood Bowl, or Budokan, you can really hear how great they were AS A BAND at this moment in time. Any of the live shows they did at the end of '63 and early '64 in England are really stupendous! And those songs!!!

Led Zeppelin: Jimmy Page's birthday show 1/9/70 at Royal Albert Hall and also Live at the Texas International Pop Festival 1969. You'll burn your copy of Song Remains the Same and HTWWW..... (But keep the Live BBC album!). These rock SO SO SO hard....

Nirvana Live on the Radio -- Bootleg compilation. Rocks. Hard.

Simon & Garfunkel -- The Live albums that came out relatively recently from 1967 and 1969 are pretty great, but there are lots of other great documents of this very special duo. Voices of Intelligent Dissent (Hollywood Bowl 1968) and the 1970 shows from Paris & Holland (their last before splitting) are also wonderful and worth finding.

Blondie Live at Hammersmith Odeon 1980. There are lots of boots from 1978 tour that are also quite good, but this one is very powerful. Great Live band!!!

Genesis --- Lamb Lies Down on Broadway from the 1974-75 tour. One I like is called Early Morning Manhattan, from Providence RI 12/8/74, and there is another show from somewhere in Florida that is really great, too. The show from the LA Shrine Auditorium was released in one of their box sets. A very powerful band at its peak in its most magical incarnation doing their best album live, along with an encore of Musical Box, perhaps their greatest single song. A treasure....

Leonard Cohen live on the BBC 1969 or 1970. Magnificent...

Alice Cooper Live at the LA Forum 1973. An animal.....

XTC Live at Emerald City. Quirky, tight, animated beyond belief. I think it is 1981, but I could be off on that.

Billie Holiday Jazz at the Philharmonic Live at Carnegie Hall 1946 Unforgettable version of Strange Fruit.... I don't want to open the jazz Pandora's Box, but I had to at least mention this one...

Elvis Costello Radio Radio from the 1977-1982 era, live radio cuts. Now that the El Mocambo and Hollywood High shows are out commercially, this incredible incarnation of Elvis' live act is pretty well documented. These radio cuts are fantastic though.... Anything from the 1982 tour is also great, and there are a few from the 1986 tour that are fantastic as well.

Joni Mitchell Live at Carnegie Hall 2/23/72. Find it!!!!

Kula Shaker -- Anything you can find from the 1997-98 tour. Blistering, mystical, beautiful live shows!!!

Mazzy Star -- The Black Sessions and Live in Chicago. Dreamy as it gets....

Elastica -- the "Radio One Sessions" and there are some live shows from 95-96 that are also really great. Not enough people know this one-album wonder Brit girl band from the mid-90's, unfortunately. They put on their stuff great live, even more raw than the record....

There are also great live shows from the Doors, the Clash, Suzanne Vega, Roxy Music, Steely Dan, Neil Young, Oasis, CSN/CSNY, U2, REM....just can't list them all. Pearl Jam also has many great shows from their earliest years, before they self-bootlegged an entire tour in the late 90's... The Who also have many great performances that were captured, but the essence is there on the complete Leeds show, or the Hull show coming out soon, or the Isle of Wight show, all from the same point in time. Lots of Hendrix, but it's mostly been released. I love the first Live on the BBC record that came out on Ryko best.

I am not going to touch the Grateful Dead, as that is a vast world, and they are not really among my favorite bands, but a couple of jam bands from the 90's should be mentioned: The Ominous Seapods and moe. I like the Seapods boots from 96-97-98 best, though the essence of their live show is captured on their 1999 live release "Matinee Idols". I've seen moe a dozen times and every show is incredible, so I'd recommend anything you can find.

These are the ones that come to mind right now, but nearly every band has bootleg recordings that capture epochal performances. They are worth hunting for, even if not exactly kosher, know what I mean???

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 11:35:25 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 10, 2012 11:36:38 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 10:15:40 AM PST
Chet Fakir says:
Glad to see that Grand Funk's "Live" album was mentioned. That thing rocks hard.
Others of note:
Live/Hhaï - Magma
Theuz Hamtaak - Magma (their best live album/DVD)
Live Dead - Grateful Dead
Dick's Picks Vol. 4, Live at the Fillmore East 02/13-14/70 - Grateful Dead
The Great Deceiver box set - King Crimson
Live Herald - Steve Hillage
The Last Experience live 02/24/69 at the Royal Albert Hall - Jimi Hendrix
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  73
Total posts:  82
Initial post:  Jul 6, 2007
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions