Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Most overrated guitarist in rock history...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 393 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2011 11:54:59 AM PST
Dave Mustaine REPLACED HIMSELF because he ALSO wanted to be the singer to. James Hetfield voice would have than been replaced in some of your Metallica music. Is that what you wanted??? If so than you got exactly the band of your choice when Dave created his OWN band. So here is the solution to your mental problem. Don't listen to Metallica, listen to Dave's band. Now if you insist on listening to Metallica also, than that only means you like their music which indicates their guitar work is also pleasing to you. And if so, how can you be a critic to what you keep going back to.
My god people, why are so many unable to think outside the box!

Posted on Feb 19, 2011 12:13:21 PM PST
All of the critics before and after this post are complete morons. Most are using their head as bung hole plugs to prevent their brains from ozing out their bottom and others simply have 'you know what' for brains.
I have never come across more assheads in one forum than the what I have seen here. I gaurantee not one of these A-wipes have ever composed one sheet music yet each thinks he is a genius. The funny thing about this is not one of these guitarist gives a sheet what you think or what your piehole spues.
You would be better off critizing yourself but that would't be as fun would it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2011 12:13:40 PM PST
MB says:
I think Jeff Beck had his own unique style back in the late 70's he had some great solo albums with no lyrics. He thought up some very original guitar licks. He is one of the better more original guitarists. There are too many really good or great guitarist and too many styles to say he is the best. He is good or great in my mind. Along with many others: SRV, Jeff Skunk Baxter(Early- Steely Dan), John Mayer is very talented, James Taylor, Lenny Kravitz, Steve Howe, Jimmy Page, Al Anderson and hundreds of others known and unknown with their own styles.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2011 12:34:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2011 12:34:32 PM PST
Snoo says:
Club 7,

Im with you all the way on this one !!

James L Johnson,

Do you need a hug? You seem a bit stressed .

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2011 12:12:05 AM PST
Beck's version of "Ain't Superstitious" is great.

Listen to "Cry of Love" and "Band of Gypsies" there was no one like Hendrix and there never will be.

Posted on Feb 20, 2011 12:13:18 AM PST
ZZ TOP way way way overrated. good night now.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2011 6:11:03 PM PST
K. Oleff says:
Richard Singer says:
Easily Carlos Santana. And I know this is heresy, but B.B. King doesn't do it for me.

"To each his own" whether you like B.B. King or not, but this thread right here is about whether he (or any other guitarist) is overrated, ya know? Do you think that B.B. King's overrated considering all of that?

Posted on Feb 20, 2011 7:49:06 PM PST
K. Oleff says:
Thomas A. Corpino says:
I'd agree about Jimmy Page...he can be downright sloppy, and should never be mentioned
in the same sentence as El Becko.

Yes, I very much agree about Jimmy Page! He's very much an overrated guitarist! Even more so than even Beck, Clapton, Santana, Gilmore I somewhat wanna truthfully talk about Hendrix as being overrated, yet I don't exactly wanna claim him as an overrated artist like Jimmy Page, Beck and Gilmore (amongst many others) actually are. Hendrix is very highly regarded and spoke of beyond what I'd ever want to hear, but his music really was important, fascinating and exciting for the time and still to this day. Jimmy Page is incredibly overrated though. I can't say it enough really! Sure, I like much of his music and guitar tracks, but he's not just one of the most overrated guitarists that I've ever heard of...He's also very much so one of the most overrated musicians (on any instrument) that's out there, ya know? In fact, if Jimmy Page really was "that great", then these musicians should get just as much credit for their influence too...

(Not Placed In Any Order Of Greatness)

1. Ted Nugent.
2. Tony Iommi. (Black Sabbath)
3. Kurt Cobain. (Nirvana)
4. Ritchie Blackmore. (Rainbow)
5. Mikael Akerfeldt. (Opeth)
6. Angus Young. (AC/DC)
7. Warren DeMartini. (Ratt)
8. Young/Shaw. (Styx)
9. Joe Perry. (Aerosmith)
10. Billy Squier.
11. Steve Howe. (Yes)
12. Jerry Cantrell. (Alice In Chains)
13. Mike Rutherford. (Genesis)
14. Dean DeLeo. (Stone Temple Pilots)
15. Neil Young.
16. Bonnie Raitt.
17. Michael Monarch. (Steppenwolf)
18. John Lennon. (The Beatles)
19. Steve Vai.
20. Dave Mustaine. (Megadeth)
21. Randy Rhoads. (Ozzy Osbourne)
22. Kim Thayil. (Soundgarden)
23. Marty Friedman. (Megadeth)
24. James Hetfield. (Metallica)
25. Lenny Kravitz.
26. Taj Mahal.
27. Eddie Van Halen. (Van Halen)
28. Andy Summers. (Police)
29. Billy Duffy. (Cult)
30. Joe Satriani.
31. Eric Clapton. (Cream)
32. Ace Frehley. (Kiss)
33. Zack Wylde. (Ozzy Osbourne)
34. Dino Cazares. (Fear Factory)
35. Manny Charlton. (Nazareth)
36. John Frusciante. (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
37. Mary Chapin Carpenter.
38. Michael/Rudolf Schenker. (Scorpions)
39. Tipton/Downing. (Judas Priest)
40. Prince.
41. Tom Morello. (Rage Against The Machine)
42. Sammy Hagar.
43. Melissa Etheridge.
44. Cesar Rosas. (Los Lobos)
45. Michael Wilton. (Queensryche)
46. Brian "Head" Welch.
47. "Dimebag" Darrell. (Pantera)
48. Mike Einziger. (Incubus)
49. Alex Lifeson. (Rush)
50. Bryan Adams.

They're nowhere near as overrated (if at all) as Jimmy Page truly is. On top of that, many of them (if not, maybe all?) are perhaps more proficient musicians with higher talent and songwriting capability/melody than Jimmy Page is so highly overrated as having. Once again folks, he's definitely a good guitarist, but he's just not "that good." Period!

Posted on Feb 21, 2011 2:00:08 AM PST
R. Watson says:
ONE WORD. CLAPTON.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2011 2:07:47 AM PST
R. Watson says:
he's not incredible, but i don't see him ever getting over complimented nor rated anyways!

all i see are fans celebrating ac/dcs greatness... you can't really expect ppl not to mention him at all. but again, who ever ranks him high?!? no one.

Posted on Feb 21, 2011 5:35:47 AM PST
Joe Bonnamassa is no where as good as he was earlier in his career.
Kurt Cobain. Did he ever play a solo?

Posted on Feb 21, 2011 7:23:39 PM PST
R. Szetela says:
"Dave Mustaine REPLACED HIMSELF because he ALSO wanted to be the singer to."

What are you talking about?

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 5:23:48 AM PST
Leroy Hoard says:
I agree on Clapton. He was great with Cream but I just don't hear it after that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2011 5:38:03 AM PST
David says:
Wouldn't you agree that both Steve Vai, and Satriani had a Neoclassical Shredding type of Style before Yngwie? Seriously look at the dates of each others first albums. Yngwie wasn't even the first to go beyond Blackmore and the others.

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 6:08:44 AM PST
Byrdman says:
DA*N! I'm glad I am not a great guitarist 'cause I surely would have been trashed by most of you guys! If any of the mentioned were really bad, we probably would have never heard of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2011 8:46:55 AM PST
Leroy Hoard says:
Malmsteen was pre-dated by Randy Rhoads but not Steve Vai and Satriani.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2011 9:51:40 AM PST
RICHARD says:
Most overrated guitarist in rock history. Nearly all rock guitarists are overrated especially Beck, Hendrix, Clapton and Page.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2011 10:06:57 AM PST
Snoo says:
Ok Richard,

Do you care to elaborate ?

Posted on Mar 3, 2011 6:23:32 PM PST
Bela says:
I just want to say most flashy speed techincal guitarist can't write songs!
they need a singer or bass player to write so they can create! when they
think they are all that then they blow! just look at all the great guitarist
who can't write a fing song! Hendrix which i'm not a big fan cause he was
before my time and just sometimes plays too much wrote great songs!
okay come one bring it on! somebody's gonna be mad at my comment.

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 5:06:43 AM PST
Such a subjective subject to focus on the negatives.

Posted on Mar 5, 2011 4:12:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2011 4:19:44 AM PST
Nothintosay says:
K. Oleff says:

What !!!!! Kurt Cobain isn't even the best guitar player in his own band ...Dave Grohl is a more proficient player .And if you're going by influence then where is George Harrison , Keith Richards ,Robert Fripp and Ron Asheton ?

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 9:08:18 PM PDT
pumpkins123 says:
i wouldnt call them overrated but sometimes i feel that tony iommi angus young write such simple riffs and thre solos are usually the same

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2011 11:29:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2011 11:32:08 PM PDT
K. Oleff says:
Nothintosay says:
K. Oleff says:

What !!!!! Kurt Cobain isn't even the best guitar player in his own band ...Dave Grohl is a more proficient player .And if you're going by influence then where is George Harrison , Keith Richards ,Robert Fripp and Ron Asheton ?

Then those are just other names to add to the list, ya know? It's not like I was saying that Kurt's better than all of those on your list(s) as well as mine. I just simply put Kurt as being a huge influence and NOBODY could ever deny that whether you like him (or even think that he's great) or not!

I mean, should I have listed even more guitar players than the 50+ that I already dished out? On top of that, are Harrison, Asheton and the other artists that you listed actually that influential to the overall music scene (or atleast their styles of rock) anyways? I don't quite think so and I'm actually a musician that both plays, jams to and listens to all kinds of guitarists including most (if not all) of those that I already listed as well as quite a few of those that others have listed. Being the type of music listener and perhaps even more importantly musician that I am, I have an can more accurately judge which artists actually are more influential in their guitar styles when compared alongside others, ya see? In the end there are 2 clear things that come to mind in this case...

1. Just because a guitarist may play better (or faster, more leads, tapping, etc...) than another guitarist doesn't mean that that better guitarist (or any kind of musician) will be more influential than the other, ya know? Sure, maybe a band like Dokken was playing more intricate and challenging riffs (as well as leads, of course) than Nirvana did, but there's no denying that Nirvana's influence did/does/will remain a thousand times larger to music overall than that of Dokken's influence. Do you see where I'm coming from yet?

2. "To each his own." Listen to what you want. Recommend what you believe to be good or great. Continue to purchase whatever you enjoy listening to. Just don't argue for the sake of arguing in hopes that you think that everyone (or even just anyone for that matter) will believe that you've got it right. Hell, why don't you pick up an instrument and start to learn why one artist may be "better" than the other, right...lol? Either way, have fun with it all and remember that rarely anyone will ever have the exact same taste in music as you... me... him... her... etc...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2011 7:35:26 AM PDT
Snoo says:
Where did Richard go ???

Oh yeah, he one of "those" that make an assinine statement and then never returns to back it up.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2011 8:12:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2011 8:35:57 AM PDT
I'm not sure that I'd call Beck overrated but outside Truth his music while technically proficiant lacks soul
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  247
Total posts:  393
Initial post:  Jul 11, 2007
Latest post:  Sep 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions