Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Pop forum

The 897 Greatest Albums of All Time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3476-3500 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 16, 2012 6:33:12 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
#110 - PRINCE - PURPLE RAIN

1. Let's Go Crazy (10)
2. Take Me With U (9)
3. The Beautiful Ones (10)...love Prince's falsetto...and not Vali's
4. Computer Blue (10)
5. Darling Nikki (9)
6. When Doves Cry (10)...one of my favorite Prince songs ever...
7. I Would Die 4 U (9)
8. Baby I'm a Star (9)
9. Purple Rain (10)

OVERALL RATING: 10

DISCUSSION: This one seemed bigger then, then it does now. I'm guessing some of the music was tied to the image of Prince, both on and off stage. Actually, his off stage antics sometimes bored me (esp. his entourage of bodyguards and the entire Purple schtick and later his "symbol". But he was a joy to watch on stage and wrote, sang and performed lots of good to great music in his career......I remember first being conscious of him watching a rock show on tv....based on his body language and dress (he was naked except for a pair of leather briefs), I assumed he was gay. Later, I became enthralled by a great dance song of his they played quite a lot in a bar I went to a lot, "Controversy". By the time Purple Rain came out, both the album and the movie, he was a star. Prince had the ability to embrace the music of James Brown, Sly & the Family Stone and a host of others and yet still sound like it was his own. He was a great songwriter, arranger, performer, singer and guitarist, among other things. I guess his Sign o the Times was the last album of his that I truly embraced although I think I do have them all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 9:30:08 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Ed,

Thanks for your Grateful Dead review of 3.28.

59. R.E.M.--Automatic for the People (1992; #2, 4x platinum) (2)

FAMILIARITY: 5/10

1. Drive (7)
2. Try Not to Breathe (?) (3)
3. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight (3)
4. Everybody Hurts (9+)
5. New Orleans Instrumental No. 1 (?) (3+)
6. Sweetness Follows (?) (3)
7. Monty Got a Raw Deal (?) (3)
8. Ignoreland (4)
9. Star Me Kitten (?) (3)
10. Man on the Moon (9)
11. Nightswimming (4+)
12. Find the River (?) (3+)

REVIEW: This is our 8th encounter with the band, and we have another immediately following this. This is also their second appearance in the top 100. For what it's worth, it continues the band's streak of no 0 ratings from me--quite an accomplishment, given how many of those I've handed out. And this one feels a lot better than a 2 that I'm giving it (because it gets docked a few points for the three tracks I don't quite like--The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight, Ignoreland, and Nightswimming, which is a beautiful song and arrangement, but it never quite rose to a like for me). But a couple of tracks are two of my favorites from the band--Everybody Hurts and Man in the Moon, and Drive is pretty good as well. So, a reluctant 2 for now, with a chance to rise.

Mark

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 11:37:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 12:33:41 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
#116 BECK - ODELAY

1. Devil's Haircut (10)
2. Hotwax (10)
3. Lord Only Knows (10)
4. The New Pollution (10)
5. Derelict (10)
6. Novacane (10)
7. Jack-Ass (10)
8. Intro to Where It's At (-)
9. Where It's At (10)
10. Minus (10)
11. Sissyneck (10)
12. Readymade (10)
13. High 5 (Rock the Catskills) (10)
14. Ramshackle (10)
15. Computer Rock (-)`

DISCUSSION: I remember hearing Beck for the first time (Loser). I wanted to hear more.It didn't take long for any Beck follower to realize that this guy knew the history of the music and was interested in experimenting with a multitude of genres/musical styles. Maybe his early years spent as a street musician helped to foster this approach to music. I've been following him since he first hit the scene. I haven't been disappointed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 1:20:41 AM PDT
Gord Wilson says:
Rado and Ragni, with the American Tribal Rock Opera Hair, certainly gave us some great songs. I saw it performed back in the day in Seattle.
"My hair like Jesus wore it, hallelujah, I adore it. Hallelujah, Mary loved her son, why don't my mother love me? Hair."

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 12:28:56 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
#106 WEEZER - THE BLUE ALBUM

1. My Name is Jonas (10)
2. No One Else (9)
3. The World Has Turned and Left Me Here (10)
4. Buddy Holly (9)
5. Undone - The Sweater Song (10)
6. Surf Wax America (9)
7. Say It Ain't So (9)
8. In the Garage (10)
9. Holiday (9)
10. Only In Dreams (10)

OVERALL: 10

DISCUSSION: This is an album that is almost impossible to judge, song by song. It's not that it's thematic or anything, except in a geekish way, but the songs are the kind that please you depending on mood. If I could venture to rate each song against the others, i.e., 1-10, I'd be switching things around week to week, if not day to day. Oddly, I don't think Buddy Holly would make it to the top. It's catchy and had that great video but it doesn't grab me like some of the others.

ed.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 12:48:49 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
#114 POLICE - OUTLANDOS D/AMOUR

1. Next to You (10)
2, So Lonely (8)...I didn't like the falsetto chorus or the repetitive "so lonely"
3. Roxanne (10)...probably my favorite Police song of all time.
4. Hole in My Life (8)
5. Peanuts (9)
6. Can't Stand Losing You (8)...the reggae beat doesn't help here...
7. Truth Hits Everybody (8)
8. Born in the 50's (9)
9. Be My Girl - Sally (9)
10. Masoko Tanga (10)

OVERALL: 9

DISCUSSION: I'm not sure if my memory is failing me, but it doesn't seem as if the Police has aged well with me, except with my favorite songs. I realize I'm giving this a 9 which to me means its highly listenable and I guess it is. Maybe my dislike of a lot of Sting's solo work has affected my assessment of his work with Police. I hope not.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 12:50:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 17, 2012 12:51:07 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 9:06:06 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
#121 COLDPLAY - A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD

1. Politik (9)
2. In My Place (10)
3. God Put a Smile Upon Your Face (10)
4. The Scientist (10)
5. Clocks (9)
6. Daylight (10)
7. Green Eyes (10)
8. Warning Sign (10)
9. A Whisper (10)
10. A Rush of Blood to the Head (10)
11. Amsterdam (10)

DISCUSSION: This is the third album by Coldplay I've heard here. The first was X&Y at #427 and I gave it an 8. Then Parachute at #345 which got a 9 from me and now this one #121 which comes in at 10. Well I guess all this means is that I kind of agree with the consensus opinion of 98.7 FM radio listeners. I'll surely give these three another quick listen as I attempt to compile my own list. I mean, was this one deserving of being graded 2 notches above the first and a notch above the one I've often heard as Coldplay's masterpiece, Parachute?

I must come clean and admit that I knew very little about Coldplay before this. I had their albums but had never gone thru them methodically, song by song. I remember on one album being put off by the vocalist breaking into a falsetto voice back and forth and after awhile it got a bit irritating and I LIKE falsetto. Here, it was used with restraint.

Regardless of any album comparisons, I enjoyed this a lot. I guess there is a bit of similarity between his voice and that of T. Yorke/Radiohead. I've also heard Jeff Buckley.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 11:34:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012 5:51:08 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
#107 GREEN DAY - DOOKIE

1. Burnout (9)
2. Having a Blast (10)
3. Chump (10)
4. Longview (10)
5. Welcome to Paradise (9)
6. Pulling Teeth (10)
7. Basket Case (10)
8. She (10)
9. Sassafras Roots (10)
10. When I Come Around (9)
11. Coming Clean (10)
12. Emenius Sleepus (10)
13. In the End (9)
14. F.O.D. (10)....a favorite
15. All By Myself (10)...short but sweet

OVERALL RATING: 9 (GRADED DOWN)

DISCUSSION: This is one of the few albums I've rated where I felt compelled to give the album, as a whole, a lesser rating than the individual song ratings would suggest. Why? Because about 10 of these songs sound almost exactly the same, minus the lyrics which I wasn't that compelled to listen to anyway. I mean all of the fast paced ones could be one long song. These guys are/were great punk pop artists but need to find ways to keep their signature sound but add a little more individual personality to them. I mean, even The Ramones had more variety to their signature sound than Green Day does here. This is a great album to pick a single from....you can't go wrong. Listening to the entire album at one sitting, though, could cause one to drift and wonder when that song is going to end.....not realizing you're on Song #4 instead of Song #1. Maybe this is another example of my committment to judging albums mostly by the average of their song ratings. Hence, my once in a while "adjustments".

BTW, I have been bemused, at times, at how controversial Green Day has been, especially amongst punk rock fans. Anyone wishing to "pick a fight" for amusement need only go on such a site and say "Green Day is the best punk band ever" or conversly, "Green Day is NOT punk and never was.....for one thing, they don't live the punk life style". I threw in that last part because when I first heard it mentioned about GD or anyother punk group with a pop feel, I wondered just what the "punk lifestyle is/was". I guess you have to be a punk to realize it (and live it).

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 5:52:04 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
#120 QUEEN - A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

1. Death on Two Legs (10)
2. Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon (7)
3. I'm in Love With My Car (10)
4. You're My Best Friend (8)
5. '39 (9)
6. Sweet Lady (8)
7. Seaside Rendezvouz (9)
8. The Prophet's Song (10)
9. Love of my Life (10)...somehow the over-toppedness works here
10. Good Company (8)
11. Bohemian Rhapsody (10)..a classic and I'm not sure why
12. God Save the Queen (9)

OVERALL RATING: 9

DISCUSSION: Over the years, I've never been a big Queen fan. I've always respected the guitar work of Brian May and sometimes the over the top vocals of Freddy Mercury worked for me. This is, probably, MY favorite of theirs as is probably true of most people who don't just want straight rock n roll from them. I'm torn by this one because, as is becoming more of an issue as I get closer to the top of these albums, I find myself questioning my own mathematical formulas, i.e., averaging out song ratings to get the overall album rating. But, for now, I'll stick with the 9. There are things here that I don't like THAT much coupled with some tunes that are quite mind-blowing, especially, of course, the outrageous Bohemian Rhapsody.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 1:48:08 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
#122 A TRIBE CALLED QUEST - THE LOW END THEORY

1. Excursions (10)
2. Buggin Out (10)
3. Rap Promoter (10)
4. Butter (10)
5. Verses from the Abstract (10)
6. Show Business (10)
7. Vibes and Stuff (9)
8. The Infamous Date Rape (9)
9. Check the Rhime (10)
10. Everything is Fair (9)
11. Jazz (We've Got) (10)
12. Skypager (10)
13. What? (9)
14. Scenerio (10)

DISCUSSION: Boy was THIS ONE has been difficult. (For me, all of the rap albums on the list have been). I've often suggested that, to me, listening is listening. Genre is incidental. I mean, we all probably have our favorite styles of music, i.e., those that seem to account for a larger percentage of albums we truly like than others. But is expectation a factor? Do we ultimately expect certain things from certain genres and listen with intent. And get disappointed when the album doesn't meet that expectation which is as much a genre expectation as it is simply judging music for what it is. I've said before that as much music as I seem to enjoy, rap and heavy metal have always given me trouble. Why? Because I DO have an expectation but it is more relating to what I don't LIKE about the genre than what I DO LIKE. Maybe my seemingly (to me) rather liberal ratings of a number of rap albums here were partly at attempt at being fair....bending backwards to not be prejudicial before I even begin listening.

So I sit down to listen to THIS album for the first time in a LONG time. I did remember how almost universally it was greated with quite positive reviews when it was first released. Today, it can be found on a number of lists as not only one of the best albums of the year, 1991, but often included in rap fans' best rap albums EVER. So, I'm listening and I'm not getting it. Ok some of the initial plus is a kind of "rap jazz" feel because of the instrumental backing, as sparse as it is. But I'm reading about how smooth the actual raps are and I'm not hearing it at all. I'm also not, at first reaction, enthralled by the raps themselves. The words seem, at times, forced and a bit juvenile. Back to the drawing board.

I kept going back. Finally, I made peace with this album, forgetting about any preconceived notions about it or rap in general, not worrying about what I should get from it and trying to listen to it as a whole, not segmenting it. (Some months back, I was explaining my waning interest in Zappa's work after, say, 1970-1 and how puzzled that critics I respected seem to put his "Apostrophe" among his best and I thought it was a great example of why I stopped at 1970 and then only collected for pieces and parts. So I was invited to listen again to it and I did and lo and behold, I liked it! I didn't love it but I wasn't going to leave the album thinking that "Don't You Eat That Yellow Snow" was the centerpiece of the album. The same thing happened here. I still don't admire the rap style of the two rappers as much as the critics seem to but I eventually embraced the overall sound. But it didn't come easy. It took three tries through the album when I could hear it as a whole and not pick parts I liked and disliked and try to rate it accordingly. Again, when this whole 897 thing is over, I MUST check out all the rap albums we've rated and see if my ratings had any sense of consistency. I just realized that THIS one is the highest rated rap album of the 897 listed. That's enough to give me some contemplation in and of itself.

I checked. There are, amongst the 897 albums that received the most "votes" from listeners of the station, 17 rap albums that made the list with this album being the highest rated, i.e., #122. The others included the likes of The Beastie Boys (3), Dr. Dre, DJ Shadow, The Fugees, Lauryn Hill, Notorious BIG, NWA, Nas, Outkast (2), Public Enemy, Run DMC, Tupac S., and WuTang Clan. So with this one, I can quit all of my internalizing about rap until this is over and I try to pick MY OWN Best 897/1000 (?). Maybe one day during my ruminations, I'll declare a day "RAP DAY" and listen to the 17 along with others I have or know that are possibly worthy of MY list.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 1:52:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 22, 2012 1:52:28 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 4:54:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 5:19:09 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Ed,

Thanks for your Gillian Welch review of 3.28.

58. R.E.M.--Murmur (1) (1983; #36, Gold)

FAMILIARITY: 3/10

1. Radio Free Europe (8)
2. Pilgrimage (?) (3+)
3. Laughing (?) (3)
4. Talk About the Passion (5+)
5. Moral Kiosk (?) (3)
6. Perfect Circle (?) (2+)
7. Catapult (4)
8. Sitting Still (?) (3)
9. 9-9 (?) (3)
10. Shaking Through (?) (3)
11. We Walk (3)
12. West of the Fields (?) (3)

REVIEW: This one is the second in a row from them, and their 9th overall, which places them a surprising (to me) second in overall appearances, with the Grateful Dead and Bruce Springsteen. That won't last long, since I know the Beatles, who've only had 6 appearances thus far, are poised to overtake them with a flurry of high-number appearances (but not Dylan, who leads by a comfortable three-appearance margin at this point). And this album also continues their streak of having a rating above 0 from me for all 9 of their entries, but just barely. It's tied with Life's Rich Pageant as my least favorite of the ones that entered here, which encompasses 9 out of their 15 studio releases. It did have a chance to earn at least a 3 with my favorite track, Radio Free Europe, as well as the moderately likeable Talk About the Passion, but then had a couple of points docked by Catapult and then We Walk, which I had forgotten that I knew. I haven't scrutinized the remainder of the list closely enough to say that this is definitely their last appearance, but I'm sure that when I compile a ranking by artists, R.E.M. will occupy a high spot on the list. They've earned 24 points in 9 appearances, or close to an average of 3, which is above the overall average of all the entries, which is now a little above 1.5.

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 9:15:05 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Thanks, Alexis!

Up next, one I have on cassette.

57. The Pixies--Doolittle (1989; #98) (2)

FAMILIARITY: 3/10

1. Debaser (4)
2. Tame (?) (3)
3. Wave of Mutilation (4)
4. I Bleed (?) (3)
5. Here Comes Your Man (9)
6. Dead (?) (2+)
7. Monkey Gone to Heaven (9)
8. Mr. Grieves (?) (3+)
9. Crackity Jones (?) (3)
10. La La Love You (?) (3+)
11. No. 13 Baby (?) (3)
12. There Goes My Gun (?) (3)
13. Hey (?) (3)
14. Silver (?) (3)
15. Gouge Away (?) (3)

REVIEW: This one contains a couple of great ones--Monkey Gone to Heaven and its bass-driven thump, and the pop crafting of Here Comes Your Man. I only know two others--Debaser and Wave of Mutilation, so I guess I didn't play the cassette enough to get used to all of it. But those two make it my favorite Pixies album, and really the only one that contains music I like by them. This is their third appearance here, and the other two got an 0. This one gets a 2 with a chance to rise.

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 9:50:59 AM PDT
Mark F. says:
Ed,

Thanks for your reply of 3.31, and sorry it's taken me almost 3 months to acknowledge it! You brought up one point that struck me as being something I should think about with regards to my own rating system when you said your ratings reflect what the album means to you. I think that's lacking in my own cold-eyed review system, which merely adds and subtracts points based on how much I like or dislike the songs. I think it might be worthwhile for me, afterward, to go through some of these and re-rate them based purely on how I feel about them as a unit and how much they mean to me. I'm sure that would result in a lot higher overall average rating than what I have now, which has resulted in an average rating of about 1.5, which, on the face of it, means that the albums are crappy. I mean, even with my lower threshold for what I think is a good album (a 5 or higher), that's still low. And I do like, for example, last night's review, Doolittle, but yet it only gets a 2 with the deductions. And even if I didn't deduct, an album has to have more than two superlative songs on it to reach the 5 or above threshold. So maybe I really do think a 4 or higher is a good album, since any album with two great ones on it is worthy of merit, I think. But a casual reader isn't going to get that--he or she will look at the number and think I don't like the album at all. So, staying with the Doolittle example, if I gave it a more subjective "enjoyability" rating, I think it would go to a 7 rather than a 2. Which points out a big flaw in my rating system! But with 56 albums to go, I'm not about to change things now, but it might be a post for later, where I could pick out some of the ones that I feel are a lot better than the number I gave and re-rate them.

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 11:28:40 AM PDT
Mark F. says:
Ed,

Thanks for your review of the Decemberists from 4.2. All that said in my last post, even with a subjective re-rating of the list, my totals will never average as high as yours. :-)

Up next, one from the vinyl collection.

56. Crosby, Stills, & Nash--~ (1969; #6) (5)

FAMILIARITY: 7/10

1. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes (9+)
2. Marrakesh Express (9)
3. Guinnevere (2)
4. You Don't Have to Cry (4)
5. Pre-Road Downs (?) (3)
6. Wooden Ships (9)
7. Lady of the Island (?) (4)
8. Helplessly Hoping (4+)
9. Long Time Gone (9)
10. 49 Bye-Byes (?) (3)

REVIEW: Ah, another case in point for what I just wrote about regarding my rating system. Here's a great album that I'm going to give what looks like a mediocre rating--a 5--because I dock it 3 points for each of the three songs that I know and don't care for (and only one of those is one that grates on me--Guinnevere; the other two are quite tolerable). This is only their second appearance here, and the first one with a rating (the first one was live and included Young). That's owing to the fact that they didn't have many albums to begin with; really, there were only five studio albums from them, and two of them came in the 80s and weren't as critically well received; a third was a comeback album of sorts (1977's CSN). So really, I think we'll see their masterpiece, Deja Vu, before the list is complete, but that's it. Given the paucity of material to choose from, they may be band that produced the most good songs for me over the fewest number of albums. I have 13 songs of theirs on my favorites list, and 11 of them came from the first three albums (2 of them from the live album, 4-Way Street, which appeared on this list earlier). Only Just a Song Before I Go and Southern Cross came from their later albums. Here, they deliver four great ones--Wooden Ships, Long Time Gone, Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, and Marrakesh Express. So, this subjectively feels more like a 9 for me, but my "official" rating is a 5. A strong 5!

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 8:19:11 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Ed,

Thanks for your King Crimson review of 4.11.

Up next, one I have on vinyl somewhere, but can't locate. So I'll review it online.

55. Neil Young--Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (1969; #34) (1)

1. Cinnamon Girl (9+)
2. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (?) (3)
3. Round & Round (It Won't Be Long) (?) (4)
4. Down By the River (4)
5. The Losing End (When You're On) (?) (3+)
6. Running Dry (Requiem for the Rockets) (?) (3+)
7. Cowgirl in the Sand (5)

REVIEW: This comes at an appropriate time, immediately following CS&N's release that came out at around the same time, the band that the artist at this position would later join. While I liked a total of four tracks from CS&N's debut, only Cinnamon Girl rises to greatness for me on this one, Young's second solo effort. Cowgirl comes close to being another that I like. Not too crazy about Down By the River, and I don't know the other four tracks. I give it a 1 with a chance to rise.

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 4:14:15 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Ed,

Thanks for your Jackson Browne review of 4.12.

Up next, one I know I have on vinyl, but can't locate, so again I'll review it online.

54. Stevie Wonder--Songs in the Key of Life (1976; #1) (10)

FAMILIARITY: 4/10

1. Love's In Need of Love Today (?) (3)
2. Have a Talk With God (?) (5)
3. Village Ghetto Land (?) (3)
4. Contusion (?) (4)
5. Sir Duke (10)
6. I Wish (10)
7. Knocks Me Off My Feet (4+)
8. Pastime Paradise (5+)
9. Summer Soft (?) (4)
10. Ordinary Pain (?) (3+)
11. Isn't She Lovely? (10) (I was happy when one of my fourth-grade students told me she likes this song! She saw him perform it at the recent jubilee in England.)
12. Joy Inside My Tears (6)
13. Black Man (3+) (lyrically good, but don't care for the tune and the over-the-top ending)
14. Ngiculela--Es Una Historia--I Am Singing (?) (3)
15. If It's Magic (?) (4) (funny thing was I had interrupted this review to view a Powerpoint sent by a friend with the music of "The Impossible Dream" played on a harp, and then come back to this with it's harp accompaniment--what are the chances? May not have heard any harp playing since Joanna Newsom back at #343)
16. As (9)
17. Another Star (8+)

A Something's Extra

18. Saturn (?) (3)
19. Ebony Eyes (?) (3)
20. All Day Sucker (?) (3)
21. Easy Goin' Evening (My Mama's Call) (?) (3+)

REVIEW: Easily one of my favorite albums on the list so far, and even though it didn't accumulate as many rating points as several other entries (it has 10, which currently puts it in a tie for 12th overall), it's the first album to contain three perfect 10 songs, so in that way it ranks ahead of some that accumulated more points. This is simply a fantastic album--chock full of delicious tracks that have stood up so well throughout the years. Stevie was at the height of his genius here. Not only are there three 10s, I love As and Another Star, and they get high ratings as well. I am sure Coolio's Gangster's Paradise has shaped by hearing of Pastime Paradise (I didn't realize he had taken it from this and had to go back and listen to it again to pick up on it). My only criticism is that some of the tracks drag on too long, and some include elements that detract from the overall feel of it. Stevie is so talented that he *was* able to sustain his creative genius for quite a few years after this one, where others might have dropped off more noticeably. Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants came out three years later and was sort of disappointing, having only Send One Your Love to remember it by (for me, anyway). But after that came Hotter Than July, which had several good tracks, and then In Square Circle in 1985, which had a couple more good ones. After that, his output began to wane, but he remains, IMO, one of America's and the world's great recording artists. This one gets a solid 10.

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 9:04:05 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Ed,

Thanks for your R.E.M. review of 4.20.

53. The Dave Matthews Band--Under the Table and Dreaming (1994) (3)

FAMILIARITY: 2/10

1. The Best of What's Around (?) (3)
2. What Would You Say? (8)
3. Satellite (3)
4. Rhyme & Reason (?) (3)
5. Typical Situation (?) (3)
6. Dancing Nancies (?) (3)
7. Ants Marching (9+)
8. Lover Lay Down (?) (3+)
9. Jimi Thing (?) (3)
10. Warehouse (?) (3)
11. Pay For What You Get (?) (3)
12. #34 (?) (3)

Songs cut from the album

13. Granny (?) (2+)
14. Get in Line (?) (2+)
15. Kind Intentions (a/k/a #32) (?) (2+)

REVIEW: A decent album, but somewhat out of place in the rarefied air that should be occupied by greater selections than this. Yes, it contains my favorite song from them (Ants Marching) and another lesser fave (What Would You Say?), but other than that there's nothing I expect would rise to likeability. I had the CD at one point, but lost it, I think. The three that were left off the album (two others eventually made it to Crash, their next release) were dull; no wonder they didn't make the cut. Sure, it's not like it's unusual for an album to get a 3 from me even this high up (24 others in the top 100 so far, or about half, have a lower rating than this), but it's just that it seems sort of out of place here. A good one for the 200s or maybe the 300s, but not near the top 50 of all time. Anyway, enough slamming DMB--I'm sure we'll read more of that once Ed gets his hands on it LOL. A 3.

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 8:11:46 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Ed,

Thanks for your Saturday Night Fever review of 4.20.

Up next, a live album that I have in my collection. No overall rating for this one.

52. The Allman Brothers Band--At Fillmore East (1971, Platinum) (N/R)

FAMILIARITY: 6/10

1. Statesboro Blues (7+)
2. Done Somebody Wrong (?) (5)
3. Stormy Monday (4)
4. You Don't Love Me (?) (3+)
5. Hot 'Lanta (?) (2+)
6. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed (3)
7. Whipping Post (6+) (I prefer the original--I mean, 23 minutes?)

REVIEW: It will be interesting to see if this is the last of the live albums on this list. Regular readers will know I don't rate live albums with an overall score, because I feel I should limit those to albums of original material. But I'll still reveal what it would get IF I did (for example, if I did give them ratings Simon & Garfunkel's Live at Central Park would be far and away my favorite on the entire chart). This one would receive only a 1, because there's not much I really care for. Only Statesboro Blues is a favorite; I like Whipping Post better in its studio form. And I've never cared for In Memory of... or Stormy Monday. So, this, their third entry, is my least favorite from this list so far (and it's likely to be their last appearance). I gave Brothers and Sisters a 4 way back at #717; then there was a long gap before they reappeared at #100 with Eat a Peach, which I gave a 3. I have all three of these albums, plus their Idlewood South and Enlightened Rogues discs. But Brothers and Sisters remains my favorite.

Mark

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 9:31:22 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
#109 ALANIS MORISSETTE - JAGGED LITTLE PILL

1. All I Really Want (8)
2. You Outta Know (10)
3. Perfect (9)
4. Hand in My Pocket (10)
5. Right Through You (10)
6. Forgiven (9)
7. You Learn (7)
8. Head Over Feet (7)
9. Mary Jane (9)
10. Ironic (10)
11. Not the Doctor (10)
12. Wake Up (8)

OVERALL RATING: 9

DISCUSSION: Some of the songs here don't work well with Alanis' quirky voice/intonation. Generally, though, this is a very listenable album.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 9:49:25 PM PDT
Lighten Up says:
What is this thread? Why "897" and according to who?

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 5:44:51 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
@Here For the Music:

A couple of years ago, Mark began a thread (not this one) based on a survey done by a radio station in the East, 89.7FM, who asked their listeners to name their all time favorite singles and albums. I don't think they specified rock but it is/was a rock station. Mark began a thread by asking us to do our own ratings of the singles ranked as the top 897, the number transposed by the radio station's call number. We did and the results are floating in the ether somewhere.

Then, a couple of years ago, Mark began this thread on the same stations "best 897 albums" of all time. While many of the same people began participating, the notion of rating 897 albums became a bit cumbersome to most (how to deal with the albums you didn't have, etc.) that it eventually wound up with only Mark and I plunging along. As it turned out, based on our own tastes and our own rating schemes, Mark and I seemed to be polar opposites with respect to how we rated music. I'll give a 5 to an album I don't care for much and Mark will kind of like it and give it a 3. We have, over the years, explained our own system of rating but it is, of course, impossible to explain our own tastes. They just are what they are. One of the biggest differences, causing Mark to come up with a lot of zeros, is that he doesn't feel comfortable rating albums whose contents he's not familiar with. He feels he has to live with an album before he can rank it. I understand that but feel I can fairly accurately judge my own sense of an album even if I'm listening for the first time. Anyway, our ratings make us look like polar opposites and I think we have more in common musically then is obvious.

So, we're on the last leg of this trip. I'm plugging along in the #100's (we began at #897 and have been working our way up to #1) and Mark is at #52. I'd guess, even with our disparate rating schemes, we give a sense of what we like and why. I just seem to like a lot of them (lots of 10s given). After all, they were a consensus of the "best of the best". Even so, I've already predicted that when I try to come up with MY 897 best, I'll probably scrap at least 200 of those on their list for 200 of my own.

And that's the rather long story. Here's the site that began the entire process and the site where we began by doing "best songs" before we began "best albums".

http://wtmd.org/radio/897-greatest-albums-of-all-time/

http://wtmd.org/radio/top-897-songs-of-all-time/

http://www.amazon.com/forum/pop/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3U4VU9LZIWOFY&cdThread=Tx2F7HKP64OXZN8

(that last link was me trying to lead you to our 897 best songs ratings on Amazon. It too is in the pop forum and has been inactive for some time now. The link looks a little odd to me.)

ed.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 10:53:23 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
#112 JOHNNY CASH - AMERICAN RECORDINGS

1. Delia's Gone (9)
2. Let the Train Blow the Whistle (9)
3. The Beast in Me (10)
4. Drive On (10)
5. Why Me Lord (10
6. Thirteen (10)
7. Oh, Bury Me Not (9)
8. Bird on the Wire (10)
9. Tennessee Stud (9)
10. Down There By the Train (9)
11. Redemption (10)
12. Like a Soldier (9)
13. The Man Who Couldn't Cry (10)

DISCUSSION: It was a real treat when this series of Cash albums began getting made with Rick Rubin's help. Oh, sure, Cash's albums ALWAYS had some things to make them worthwhile but these albums included intelligent choices in the material being performed, minimalistic background instrumentation and Cash being and sounding like Cash. Together with the old classics like Ring of Fire, Jackson, Folsom Prison Blues, etc., these last recordings were a perfect tribute to the life's work of "The Man in Black".

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 7:58:15 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Ed,

Thanks for your review of #179, Stone Roses, on 4.20.

Up next, another one from the vinyl collection.

51. Steely Dan--Aja (1977; #3) (10)

FAMILIARITY: 10/10

1. Black Cow (9)
2. Aja (10)
3. Deacon Blues (9+)
4. Peg (9)
5. Home At Last (9)
6. I Got the News (4)
7. Josie (9)

REVIEW: One of my all-time favorites. Only I Got the News slightly disappoints. The rest of the album, despite its slick production, is a gem to my ears. From the pop confection of Peg and Josie, to the extended jazz workout of the title song, to the Odyssey-inspired Home At Last, to the wistful Deacon Blues, everything works for me here. I give it a 10, the 17th selection to get the highest rating so far, and it gets 11 overall rating points, which places it in a tie for 11th overall. This again points out another flaw in my rating system, because the album, having only 7 tracks, can only gain a possible 14 points, which automatically excludes it from contention for the top spot (which is currently occupied by The Beatles' Hard Days Night Soundtrack, which accumulated 17 points). When I wrap this up I might want to create two lists--one of the albums ranked by points, and the other a more subjective ranking. Anyway, this is Steely Dan's sixth appearance (and likely last) on the list, and they've totaled 35 points, or roughly a 6 average. This is their first 10, with the next-highest being an 8 for the Royal Scam back at #459 (Pretzel Logic scored high with a 7). As a footnote, sadly, the model whose profile appears on the artful cover of the album died in 2007, at age 57.

Mark
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  100
Total posts:  3893
Initial post:  Sep 9, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 30, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions