Customer Discussions > Pop forum

The Beatles, or Parliament?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-41 of 41 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 23, 2009 3:15:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2009 3:18:03 PM PDT
Nico says:
It's that proverbial question of what came first; the chicken or the egg? It was neither, it was Bob Dylan. Sure he'd warble his way through a song and maybe strum one or two rudimentary cords but Dylan could turn a phrase. Bob would take the words and spin 'em on a dime. Everybody was listening to the man's message. Even soulsters like Sam Cooke were listening in, those skinny British teenagers like Mick Jagger and of course John Lennon were completely stuck to his records. Would the Byrds even exist without Dylan? Probably not. Chicken or egg? There are those who claim Dylan owed everything to Woody Guthrie.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2009 3:36:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2009 3:38:01 PM PDT
J.M. Savory says:
Nico,

early on, Dylan definitely did emulate Woody G. but Dylan listened to a lot of other stuff. early American folk, blues, jazz, gospel, western swing and other stuff (from the '20's-30's on up) that's not as easy to categorize. he's what i call the last great American troubador. he knew/knows his stuff. he has always borrowed elements of his music from this early American music. but he makes it his own. but i digress..... :-)

Posted on Oct 23, 2009 3:55:21 PM PDT
Nico says:
I spun a Mississippi John Hurt album that was recorded in the thirties and it sounded like a Dylan bootleg from the seventies.(!?) I've done enough damage to this thread by fraying it, so I'm gonna shut up now!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2009 4:08:36 PM PDT
J.M. Savory says:
lol.....good one Nico.

cheers

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2009 6:57:57 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 2:04:10 PM PST]

Posted on May 13, 2010 10:35:56 PM PDT
really???

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 6:03:55 PM PDT
Shining Star says:
McSpunkle - I completely agree and I've never bought into that just because a band came before someone else and made it big that others wouldn't have done the same without them. That's nonsense, George Clinton was/is a genius and Parliament and Funkadelic would have become what they did regardless of the Beatles or anyone else. There was an appreciation, however, P-Funk was influenced by other powers far more than the Beatles. The Jimi Hendrix Experience comes immediately to mind especially when you do listen to the West Bound Funkadelic stuff.

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 2:09:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2011 2:09:39 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I own quite a few George Clinton(Funkadelic, Parliament and Brides of Funkenstein) albums. I love all of George Clinton's music, but I'm more a fan of the Funkadelic recordings, than of Parliament. I've never thought of Parliament in relation to, or being influenced by, The Beatles, but I have thought of Funkadelic as the black Mothers of Invention.

I never got to see Parliament or Funkadelic live, but I did see George Clinton and P-Funk in the mid 90s. I remember in the late 70s or early 80s, George Clinton called his touring band The Parliamentarianfunkadelicthang.

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 3:15:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2011 3:17:14 AM PDT
this is a stupid qnestion. it's like asking someone to choose between ice cream and sushi. both are good, but one would not compare or contrast them.

Posted on Sep 24, 2011 9:15:52 AM PDT
Jevrick says:
Prince and The Beatles would be a more accurate comparison, since he does have a Beatles influence even if it is a small one. He also incorporated a lot of psychedelia into his music especially in the 80s.

Posted on Sep 24, 2011 4:49:35 PM PDT
M. Smith says:
Well, the Beatles are my favorite band ever so...
But I'd rank P-Funk probably the best funk and rock band of the 70s. From a pure funk standpoint right with or just behind James Brown. [Sly Stone right there too, but his greatest days occurred in the 60s, There's A Riot notwithstanding.]
70s soul? Probably give that to Curtis Mayfield. Otis for 60s soul of course.

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 2:51:39 PM PDT
Nothintosay says:
Why is it The Beatles , a band whose recording lifespan was roughly 8 years who are always the band on the other end of these who's better than who posts ? ...speaks volumes about how good the Beatles were

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 8:30:04 PM PDT
Music Luver says:
Parliament? Your kidding, right?

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 7:15:30 AM PDT
Shining Star says:
It is interesting how many times I've seen Parliament & Funkadelic being compared to other bands from other genres completely different than what they did. Speaks volumes to their overall powers and George Clinton's brilliance.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 8:56:46 PM PDT
The ONLY band that deserves to be named in the same sentence with The Beatles is Badfinger!

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 6:53:33 PM PDT
The Band comparison made sense...this one makes no sense whatsoever...and once again, we're talking about two bands I love...but you really can't compare P-Funk to the Beatles. You just can't!!

BTW, P-Funk is in the Hall.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Oct 20, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions