Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Top 5 Female Singers of all Time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 294 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 6:50:29 AM PDT
Hey, are you the same GE Burrell that used to frequent Newville? I'm glad to read again your intelligent posts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 7:03:40 AM PDT
After listening to a series of youtube videos of some of the artists named in the post, my list goes like this:
1. Karen Carpenter
2. Karen Carpenter
3. Karen Carpenter
4. Karen Carpenter
5. Karen Carpenter

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 6:27:22 PM PDT
Sarah Vaughn
Doris Day
Eva Cassidy
Witney Houston
Barbra Strisand

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 2:23:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2012 5:20:31 AM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
Good Morning:

New day, new list.

1-Linda Ronstadt (She'll likely be #1 for me forever)
2-Eva Cassidy (Tied for #1)
3-Nanci Griffith (Total professionalism delivered for over 30 years)
4-Margo Timmins
5-Sade

Admittedly, a fairly contemporary list.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 1:02:25 PM PDT
A1ACAPELLA says:
in no particular order..
valerie simpson, nick ashford, eva cassidy, linda ronstadt , celine dion, all taught me more about singing than most,,, but i am currently listening to melody gardot. when i do listen to music which is rare.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 8:30:39 PM PDT
pat benatar

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 4:06:06 AM PDT
Evan says:
That is me!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:38:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2012 10:19:43 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
@R. Tims:

Your list, I expect, is not full of MY favorites, but it will become a mini-research project. Why? Because I don't remember any of them that well musically.....more image, if anything.

With Olivia, I'm probably one of the only person I know who's never seen "Grease". I rented it recently to end the mystery and couldn't get thru the first 10 minutes. Yes, I remember Olivia's voice and find it okay but not particularly unique. Her songs have been mostly forgettable to me except for "Let's Get Physical".

I'm embarrassed to say I have Alison's solo album "Alf" and two of her Yaz albums, "Upstairs at Eric's (cassette) and "In Your Room" (cd), a multi disc retrospective, and don't remember much about her work except for her voice as being blusey. I will give her a listen.

I liked Belinda a lot with The Go Go's. I used to laugh when I'd hear them referred to as both new wave AND punk. Punk? Then I finally got ahold of their earlier stuff on "Return to the Valley of the Go-Go's" and understood. When they made their first album in 1981, Beauty and the Beat, their "edges" were rounded off and they made very good "new wave" music with all of the "punkiness" removed. I have all of the GoGo stuff on record and at least one of Belinda's solo pop albums. I'll take her in the GoGo's anyday.

When I think of Kim Wilde, I think first and foremost, of an 80's brit singer who, after some pop hits, became a kind of dance pop sex symbol and, if I remember correctly, deserved the title. I remember her stuff being quite catchy and, yes, alluring.

Ok, I had to discover who Judith Durham is/was. Ex-lead singer of the Seekers. I wasn't much a fan of their style of folk music but I never heard anything beyond their hits, either.

Ok, R. Tims. You got me. I've got some listening to do. Chances are, when all is said and done, none of these women will become my favorites (the GoGo's already are, for their time and place), but I like to experience new voices (and new old voices I've either missed or forgotten.) With Kim, I'll go for a youtube video.....I think she's an audio-visual thing.

ed.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 7:21:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 7:22:02 PM PDT
JD says:
1. Karen Carpenter
2. Ella Fitzgerald
3. Amália Rodrigues
4. Trying too hard to find the next choice....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:57:32 PM PDT
G. Young says:
1. Shania Twain
2. Jaci Velasquez
3. Kerrie Roberts
4. Point of Grace (Females as 1)...does that count?
5. Janna Long (from Avalon)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 10:56:24 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
@GarionOrb:

I like Annie Lennox a lot but not necessarily her music. That sounds strange but it's true. I love her persona and the sound of her voice but sometimes the songs and/or arrangements just don't work for me. What made me start thinking this way was my experience with listening and rating her Medusa album on a thread where a couple of us rate 897 albums picked, by consensus of a radio station's listeners, as the best of the best. This was ranked #808 on their list and after giving out a lot of 10s, 9s and 8s, I gave that one a lowly 4, one of my lowest ratings ever. (I WILL listen again to see if I was having a bad day). With the Eurythmics, I enjoyed albums like Sweet Dreams, Touch and Be Yourself Tonight and her solo Diva but sometimes the songs and/or the arrangements would get in the way of her voice. I especially like the song "Why".

I've never cared for Whitney or Mariah Carey. Their vocal styles coupled with most of the songs they sing just don't interest me.

Aguilera has a voice but tends to overuse it. She should be the poster girl for the entire Americal Idol sense of vocal styling. Bigger is better.

I like Alanis. She has a manufactured vocal style but so does Dylan. I mean, evidently when she made her first record while in Canada, she sounded nothing like she does today. But, again, her style today is quite listenable. I have most of her records.

So, for me, my favorites from your list are Lennox and Morissette.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 11:09:34 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
@S. Liss:

Grace WAS the icy queen in the 60's to me. That may not seem very appealing but they've always called Jerry Butler Ice Man and his "For Your Precious Love" can bring me to tears. But beyond the sound of her voice, she had the ability to stylize her vocals to suit the song to a T. I still get chills hearing her sing "House at Pooneil Corners" from the Crown of Creation album.

I always thought Ann had a great rock voice but wasn't as fond of Heart. I've often said that they were one of those groups whose music was crystalized, for me, by two songs...."Magic Man" and "Crazy on You". Maybe a bit cliched for fans of all of their music, but those are Heart, to me.

When I first heard Hynde's voice on the radio (the debut album), I ran out to buy the record. with tens of thousands of albums in my collection, I'm usually more patient about such acquisitions. Like, what's a few days? But I was so taken by her voice, that I HAD to have it.

Same with Stevie. I can't remember what I was into then, but I'd completely missed her first album with FM, although I seem to remember hearing and liking Rhianna. Then I heard "Dreams" on the radio and was hooked on her voice forever.

I've already mentioned Aretha...she has a great voice and was lucky or smart enough to leave Columbia Records and go to Atlantic and hook up with Jerry Wexler and make some of the great rock/r&b/soul records that have ever been or ever will be made....

Great list!

ed.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 4:15:45 PM PDT
what about Karen Carpenter? Julie Andrews?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 4:17:17 PM PDT
someone who's getting it right

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 4:29:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 6:31:22 PM PDT
buenseñor says:
It may be jumping the gun a little, but in a couple of years I bet Adele's name will be on many lists. As for now, my list would include (in no particular order):
- Janis Joplin
- Karen Carpenter
- Bette Midler
- Barbra Streisand
- Julia Fordham

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 6:17:26 AM PDT
Shadow says:
!. Aretha Franklin
2. Linda Ronstadt
3. Lisa Gerrard
4. Bonnie Bramlett
5. Linda Thompson

I am coming late to this discussion. I tried to pick singers whose voice totally makes the song for me....where I could not imagine a different voice. But I also picked singers who I feel, somehow, have worked to create their impact. I don't quite understand my own picks--it's a bit mysterious and subjective. For example, I love Joan Baez, but I almost feel like she puts no effort into her singing--her style is simply chosen for her by her God-given voice. Maybe that's a false impression. But that's why I didn't pick her--to me, her voice is a natural force, without need of shaping or development. To me Janis Jopiin, with such a different great vioice (about as opposite as you could get, really), is sort of in the same "natural force" category (though she did put in effort, lots of effort!). So I didn't pick her either. I picked voices that I feel were artistic instruments and where I marvel at the singer's talent, control, and artistic decisions. Hope that makes sense. I didn't know any of this until I sat down to try to think up my own list. (Note: I see why many pick Karen Carpenter, for example. She would fit my template in some ways--I think she had great natural talent and great artistry and control. But I just really, really don't like the sound of her voice and back in the old days I would change the dial on the radio to get away from it. Others may react to some of my picks similarly. I feel Bonnie Bramlett may be the most controversial!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 4:21:51 PM PDT
No Linda Ronstadt?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 5:46:53 PM PDT
Evan says:
Could not argue with Aretha Franklin - queen of soul after all.

And it would be hard to beat Linda Ronstadt for versatility. This is one of her best live clips at the White House. Do watch it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aahtK6W7l78

Linda Ronstadt on "Lush Life" and the classic material was not so interesting to me - she was not a natural crooner.
On the other hand Karen Carpenter was a throwback to the crooning of the 1950's in many ways - she styled herself on the likes of Matt Monroe, Perry Como, etc. Because noone else was persevering with the style, it made her distinctive, traditional, nostalgic.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 7:48:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 7:48:38 PM PDT
Shadow says:
GE Burrell, thanks for sharing the Ronstadt clip. It was very good. In addition to the singing, my favorite part was watching Bill Clinton's ecstatic grinning (and endearingly out-of-time handclaps).

Here's an early Ronstadt song from The Stone Poneys' first album that I recently discovered and that has been blowing me away lately. 1966, I think.

(I love all the '70s Ronstadt stuff and never got into the Nelson Riddle era or the Mexican trad era.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzoU96u3NRg

I also appreciated your comments about Karen Carpenter the intentional crooner. I can respect that (even though I still don't like to listen to it).

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 12:14:02 PM PDT
My list is Rock n Roll gals only,

1. Stevie Nicks
2. Ann Wison
3. Pat Benetar
4. Chrissie Hynde
5. Janis Joplin

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 12:32:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 12:34:45 PM PDT
Another list for Country gals only,

1. Patsy Cline
2. Linda Ronstadt
3. Jennifer Nettles
4. Trisha Yearwood
5. Martina McBride

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 12:40:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2012 2:03:35 PM PDT
Another list for Soul R&B singers,

1. Aretha Franklin
2. Patty LaBelle
3. Gladys Knight
4. Mary J. Blige
5. Roberta Flack

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 1:00:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 1:00:53 PM PDT
Final list for Pop singers,

1. Barbara Streisand
2. Whitney Houston
3. Karen Carpenter
4. Laura Nyro
5. Carly Simon

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 10:42:35 PM PDT
M. Greenleaf says:
Anne Wilson
Bessie Smith
Etta James
Janis Joplin
Aretha Franklin

"Of all time" is open to all genres of singers/music, and I can't possibly pick just 5 singers from that many kinds of music, so I'll stick with choices from music I know and love.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 11:23:27 AM PDT
Vikki Carr
Ann Wilson
Nancy Wilson (the Jazz singer)
Dusty Springfield
Amy Winehouse
Helen Shapiro
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  153
Total posts:  294
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions