Customer Discussions > Pop forum

What pop song takes you back to your furthest childhood memory?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 84 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 10, 2009 10:08:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2009 10:10:11 AM PDT
Whenever I hear Olivia Newton-John's "Let Me Be There", it takes me way back to the days of my mother singing along to the 8-track while she ironed clothes. Whenever it plays, I can still smell the lemon starch. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2009 11:23:30 AM PDT
ED S. says:
"The Wayward Wind"-Gogi Grant

This is going waaaay back folks...since before I even knew that you
could buy a record. This song was is embedded in my mind from birth
it seems. I still think the song kicks big time and I have it on CD and I
may have it on 45 rpm disc that I purchased long after it was a hit.

I still love this great story song.

"Born the next of kin
To the wayward wind"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2009 3:20:02 PM PDT
ILoveMyTivo says:
Pink Floyd - Brain Damage
My father would play the album when I was little and I would say, "When's the Laughing Man song coming on?!" And then I would just request that song ALL the time. As a child there seemed to be a lot more laughter in the song then there really is. Also, it did not sound quite so creepy then.

Posted on Oct 10, 2009 4:02:44 PM PDT
A Teacher says:
Cool question. As soon as I read it I thought of The Twist & The Limbo - out on the floor dancing at some party with my sisters & some other kids. Thought the adults at the party looked funny doing the Limbo. That's my earliest memory tonight.

Posted on Oct 10, 2009 5:00:35 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 10, 2009 9:25:31 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 10, 2009 5:36:50 PM PDT
"Puff the Magic Dragon" by Peter, Paul and Mary. May Mary rest in peace.

Posted on Oct 10, 2009 6:35:51 PM PDT
Timmybear says:
Snowbird by Anne Murray.

Even in far-off Germany, it could not be escaped (in fact, it was probably the ONLY pop tune I heard back then, as we didn't have a radio or a television in the early 70s), as whatever radios we DID run into on the base played it constantly as some sort of tribute to Canadian families there. Grrr...

Posted on Oct 10, 2009 7:06:49 PM PDT
Belly Laugh says:
I remember hearing "Red Roses for a Blue Lady" when I was really little. I sang the chorus until it drove my poor mom nuts.

Posted on Oct 12, 2009 11:19:24 AM PDT
squinky3 says:
It would have to be "Lightning Strikes" by Lou Christie, which came out in December of 1965. It was at that time or shortly thereafter I would remember it from. I was slightly over 3 years old then, and haven't stopped since! Of course I vividly remember hearing Beatles songs around '66 and '67, as well as Monkees songs. It's a good thing I have older sisters who were about 10-12 years old at the beginning of the "British Invasion", and of course all the Motown stuff, psych stuff, and generally great music was also around then. There will never be another time like it, ever!! Ever!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2009 11:45:03 AM PDT
"Anchors Aweigh." When I was a wee lad of three we had copy of it on 45 or whatever. It was sung by a Navy chorus (I think . . .) but it had an instrumental break of one of the verses and whenever that part came, I would crank that little record player up to 12, totally distorting the sound (which I loved, of course) and driving my mom batty. And I mean, I played that record A LOT. Good thing Hawkwind wasn't around back then . . .

Posted on Oct 12, 2009 12:08:41 PM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
The Happenings, "See You In September," was one I chose. My
parents 78's w/Glenn Miller, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2009 1:35:17 PM PDT
Timmybear says:
In terms of records that drive people crazy, I used to play a 45 of Little Drummer Boy endlessly. My mother later 'lost' it, but I recently learned she still has it. :)

Posted on Oct 13, 2009 6:11:20 AM PDT
J. Brady says:
Although I was only three when it was released in 1971, I very distinctly remember hearing "Indian Reservation" by Paul Revere and the Raiders on my sisters tiny record player in her bedroom. I was just crazy about the song, and would beg her to play it over and over again. It became something of a family joke, and was one of the songs played at my graduation party many years later.

Posted on Oct 13, 2009 6:39:38 AM PDT
jblyn says:
Oh, man...."La Vie En Rose," as done by Mitch Miller and his Orchestra. When I was a kid in California, that was my favorite song with which to ride on my rocking-horse. I had no idea what the song was called or that there were much better versions of it until way-y-y into adulthood.

Posted on Oct 14, 2009 4:49:48 AM PDT
Suze says:
I can't name a specific song cause there were so many great songs back then in the 1960's. I would have to name a whole montage of songs. The music nowadays sucks.

Posted on Oct 14, 2009 5:29:23 AM PDT
Bubba Guitar says:
My sister and I in the back seat of my parents' car, 8 Track tapes in the radio, no seat belts on ever while they smoked their cigarettes in the front. And for whatever reason Wayne Newton's "Daddy don't you walk so fast" and Barry Manilow "Even Now" album (uh 8 Track tape I mean.)

Posted on Oct 14, 2009 9:59:53 AM PDT
medusa_woman says:
The Turtles, "Some Girls" (like to runaround) by the Turtle. 1967. It was early fall and Charlie and I sat on the carport on the side of the house listening to my neighbor's 45 record player. We were 7 and in love. He told me that this was "our song" and that he was going to grow up and play football like Joe Namath and marry me. That's my most special memory of pop music and childhood.

However, in 1965, I remember playing "Puff the Magic Dragon" over and over and over. I was song and of course, took the song literally, so was confused by what it meant. I remember playing with Colorforms while I listened to the music.

JBLYN: Ha ha. We had Mitch Miller too! At the time I wasn't crazy about the music, but now I love it because it reminds me of those days.

TO EVERYONE: Isn't funny how we all drove our parents nuts playing the same song over and over again. We never got sick of it. Now I'm in the parent position. My kids will put a song on and hit "repeat one". My son ruined Jimi Hendrix "All Along The Watchtower" for me by doing that.

Posted on Oct 14, 2009 10:30:09 AM PDT
"Venus" by Frankie Avalon, doing the cha-cha with my mother in our living room. Oh yeah, I'm old!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2009 10:32:14 AM PDT
Listen to David Archuleta's velvety, soulful tenor voice and you will think differently Susie, I guarantee it.

Posted on Oct 14, 2009 10:51:45 AM PDT
Music Man says:
One of the earliest was Minnie Riperton's "Lovin' You" (1974) coming from an AM radio, among many others (Styx "Lady", etc.) True, nowadays we have digital stereo versions of these songs available, but if you want a REAL flashback, tune your radio to that long-forgotten AM band, and try finding an oldies station. They are getting harder to find now, since AM is largely a talk radio format.

Posted on Oct 15, 2009 2:31:27 PM PDT
BrkfstClub72 says:
I distinctly remember being in my mom's Karmann Ghia and hearing "Shambala" by Three Dog Night. She sold that car when I was four.

Posted on Oct 15, 2009 2:52:31 PM PDT
S. P. Levin says:
The earliest memory that i can recall was when Bobby Goldsboro had a pop hit with "Watchin Scotty Grow." My dad would sing that song to me when I was two. I still have a taped copy of the song to this day.

Posted on Oct 15, 2009 2:56:57 PM PDT
YaketyCat says:
"Limbo Rock" by Chubby Checker
"Yesiree" by Linda Scott

Posted on Oct 15, 2009 7:01:21 PM PDT
I was a little kid in the '50s. My sister used to play a lot of 45's, and she probably got them all around the same time. But the one I think of as my earliest musical memory was "Over the Mountain" by Johnnie and Joe.

Posted on Dec 22, 2009 4:04:01 PM PST
Not the earliest childhood memory, but of music - "Johnny Angel" by Shelly Fabares (I think) in the car driving from Cleveland to Miami Beach (1962?).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Create Your Own Music Quiz At SoundUnwound!
3 Aug 29, 2014
Name 10 Song Titles - Part 3 9061 2 hours ago
What Are You Listening To....Now or Recently? 7253 18 hours ago
The Most Stuck Up Arrogant Rock Bands Ungrateful Rock Groups? 87 1 day ago
BEE GEES vs. The BEATLES 612 4 days ago
The 897 Greatest Albums of All Time 3892 5 days ago
Your 3 Favorite Guitarists 138 5 days ago
3 favourite bass players ( from any genre ) 57 5 days ago
Songs that creep you out 403 6 days ago
THIRSTY - Quireboys Founder And British Rock Musician, Guy Bailey, Launched The Eponymous Debut Album THIRSTY 0 11 days ago
"Countrified" Newcomer Leslie Cours Mather's Video Premieres Worldwide Today On Country Fix 0 12 days ago
Award Winning AC / Pop Artist Jimmy White Secures Track In Canadian Independent Movie 0 17 days ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  77
Total posts:  84
Initial post:  Oct 10, 2009
Latest post:  May 27, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions