Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Train Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD
Customer Discussions > Printer forum

What's the best printer for heavy card stock?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2011 10:21:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2011 10:39:11 AM PST
D. Vogel says:
I have been researching this for a bit now and have yet to find one profound answer. I am looking for a printer that can handle heavy card stock, up to 140lb without encountering paper jams. I have taken note that a straight feeds seems to accomodate best, but what brand or model to get is the biggest mystery. PLEASE advise on your experience and perhaps recommendations on a printer that does NOT eat up ink as well. Thanks in advance for your time!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 7:55:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2011 7:57:29 AM PST
Joe Consumer says:
The lexmark color lasers have a paper feed mechanism that is designed for hard to feed paper types such as vinyl labels, card stock etc. That's the niche Lexmark is trying to fill. Be sure to check the specs though to see if whichever model you look at is spec'ed for 140lb. Also look to see if the regular paper trays will take the paper or if you have to use the MP (multi purpose or bypass ) tray. If the printer doesn't spec out to what you need I wouldn't buy it. It might be that you have to change your application to accommodate what the printers will handle. I'm familiar with mostly HPs and Lexmark. I'm in the service and repair of laser printers business. ( Since 1982 starting with typewriters).

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 12:43:28 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 9, 2011 2:26:38 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 8:50:14 AM PDT
Many models of Lexmark Mono laser printers do card stock as well.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 9:47:23 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 7, 2012 9:47:57 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 9:49:38 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 21, 2012 8:29:49 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 6:31:22 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 21, 2012 8:29:41 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 1:52:37 PM PST
S. Pollok says:
Do NOT buy the HP 3050!!! It will not accept heavy (#92 or higher) paper at all. Mine is just 3 months old, and worthless.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2014 1:07:42 AM PST
Ever since they came up with the wrap around printing, where you do not have a straight-in feed, I have not been able to print on heavy stock. It really gripes my but! They knew exactly what they were doing, when they changed the feed systems. It wears out more quickly, and you can't print anything on paper heavier than about 30# stock. I was in printing, until computers put us out of business. I still love to print things, but now...they have fixed that too. They make disposable printers, like we don't have enough of that kind of trash pollution. Can't refill your cartridges anymore, and can't print on heavy card stock. HP used to make some printers that you could print on any stock you wanted, and hell, they were little work horses. Those days are gone I guess.
Do me a favor. If you find one that will do what we would like for them to do, email me: put "found printer" in the subject, and I promise not to throw out the email with the trash.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2014 3:52:12 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Aug 26, 2015 5:31:27 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2015 6:56:38 AM PDT
I have a Lexmark Pinnacle Pro 901. I tried printing on a few souvenir post cards it kept jamming. Now, the Duplex unit keeps jamming with regular letter paper. It's a pain, because the printer is in a cubby hole.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2015 1:37:35 PM PDT
Looking for a printer for cardstock, because I love to make cards, but the HPPhotosmart 6520 is driving me nuts, I have to constantly hand feed the paper and even then it jams. Thanks for all your info. I need to check out what you said about cartridges also....because that can cost a fortune.

Posted on Jun 7, 2015 1:38:20 PM PDT
Actually it says from Gary, but this is Karen

Posted on Jun 12, 2015 11:48:53 PM PDT
M Shea says:
Do you know of a laser printer that will accept 80 lb or higher card stock (or watercolor paper) and (this is the major thing) uses toner that is water resistant as I like to print images and then lightly watercolor over them. thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2015 7:44:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2015 7:45:54 AM PDT
all laser printers toner should be fairly water resistant as the ink is more or less plastic. It typically takes solvent to remove laser toner(and there are some neat tricks you can do with this). The bigger question is whether the paper will resist the water, a glossy photo paper might work but as u said. Sheets from a watercolor or mixed media pad might work.

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 4:22:22 AM PDT
Laurenny says:
Am looking for a printer that will print on 250/300gm card
Can anyone suggest the best. I have bought three and card too thick to feed through although told printer can take it

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 4:40:00 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 26, 2015 5:31:16 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2015 4:42:32 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 23, 2015 4:42:46 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2015 5:46:06 AM PDT
Laurenny says:
Yes it has helped and saved few hours searching further - will go and have a look at the Canon iX6820. Have heard Canon are best for thicker card. All other rear feed printers don't feed it through
Many thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2015 2:23:23 PM PDT
Hey, (sorry I know this thread is pretty old) I'm actually purchasing the same printer that you have and was interested in doing the refillable ink like you mentioned. I noticed you said there are certain cartridges that work better, do they have a certain name or anything? I saw you said they're gray and not color. Anyhow, thanks for the post, it was informative :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2015 3:44:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 26, 2015 5:31:09 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 3:48:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 26, 2015 5:29:39 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2015 3:51:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 2, 2015 4:20:19 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 10:58:23 PM PDT
D. Vogel says:
Hello all,
Thanks so much to all who have taken the time to respond! I think it has helped other people looking for the same solution. Even though this original post is a few years old now, I didn't end up getting a printer until much later anyway and many of the comments weighed in on my final printer decision. So, just wanted to express my gratitude. D. Vogel

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 4:10:31 PM PDT
Diane says:
I want to thank you all, these posts certainly do help with our decisions. I am looking for a new printer that will print card stock paper up to 140# and also print great pictures. I have a very small business and I print Personalized photo Calendars, and need the heavy paper as well and make great photos.
I thought I had made up my mind on a Canon7520, but found out today through post such as these that to do 12 pictures it empties all 5 of the cartridges. THAT TURNED ME OFF OF THAT ONE!!!
Now I am back to searching again. I would like to get a new model as i used the very devil out of my printers and they just don't last that long.
If any of you have a suggestion, I sure could use your help.
Thanks and God bless all of you for your help.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Printer forum (64 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Printer forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 19, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions