Customer Discussions > Progressive Rock forum

Russell's Prog Room

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 10000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 3, 2010 9:44:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 1:56:38 PM PST
Hello and welcome to all the prog music lovers out there! I thought i'd create a forum for progressive rock music fans to gather and discuss the prog scene in general,from Genesis to Porcupine Tree,etc...Bands,Albums,Concerts,Memories,Recommendations,Thoughts,Reviews etc!! Everyone is welcome here but Please no politics and no hate!! Let's all enjoy that really wonderful world of progressive rock music!!!..PS i am dedicating this forum to my late siblings Rick,Cheryl and Wayne!

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 9:55:12 PM PDT
Ok,,,let's start this off with the band IQ and thier newest cd "Frequency"!! A new keyboardist (after the departure of disillusioned marvel Martin Orford)..a new and great drummer(already gone however) Andy Edwards and a really good album One of their finest wroks in my opinion,along with Dark Matter and The Seventh House! This album rocks with prog genius throughout and everyone is playing at top notch ability and the new keyboardist fits in nicely and is quite talented,,i like his style! To me most all the songs are really good,,i like how the album opens with the title song "Frequency".But to me the standout and possibly one of best songs of 2009 is the killer "The Province(of the king)"..Brilliant piece of prog genius! Great vocals,awesome guitar,of course solid bass by Jowitt,great drumming by Andy Edwards(whom i really like) and very very good keys!!! His brilliant keyboard solo at the 8 minute mark is oh so good,,sounds so much like early Tony Banks.Quite a great song i think!!

Posted on Apr 4, 2010 12:06:35 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 3, 2010 8:39:55 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2010 3:07:05 PM PDT
P. Quijada says:
Glad you mention IQ whom I really starting to like.

I'm one of those older folks for whom prog ended after my favorite bands sold out or stopped recording by the early '80s. Rediscovering prog in the last several years, I've been sampling the newer bands where available and have been listening to internet prog radio. I'm finding surprisingly few bands that stand out measured against older standards (but at least it's a higher percentage than in mainstream rock, where I've found only one exciting band so far in the new millenium). Without naming bands, so as not to offend, too many newer bands to my ears either sound like they look to Yanni for inspiration--bloated and overproduced to cover what is less-than-exciting songwriting, or else they suffer from "trying too hard," making for self-conscious music that sounds unspontaneous and forced. I'm also surprised at how few singers impress me. One band, Porcupine Tree, impresses me by really making their production values work for them, not sounding overproduced, while and also having very spontaneous, fresh-sounding songwriting and a good singer. But they're not exciting to me.

Two standout bands who keep impressing me are IQ and Riverside. Another is Djam Karet. These bands make me want to hear more of their music.

Posted on Apr 4, 2010 8:24:58 PM PDT
P Quijada..i hear you about lack of really good singers!Not many out there impress me..but in a way,even alot in the older days didnt do alot for me either,,,there were alot of bands who had killer music but bad or subpar singers..Arena is one such band...However you do find a gem here and there...to me Steve Hogarth is a hell of a singer/songwriter who has the ability to get to you vocally and give chills and shivers with his voice! Martin Trubek from Unitopia has a great voice with alot of potential..i just recently heard the band Nosound and i like the vocals..i listened to alot of different bands samples other day and out of about 20 bands i only hear a few that the vocals did anything for me...Lets hope the great ones out there we are missing fou8nd their way to us!!

Posted on Apr 4, 2010 9:00:48 PM PDT
Listening to a really good album tonight,,good vocals on this one too,,Transatlantic's "The Whirlwind"...mmmmm a very nice album.Neal Morse and Roine Stolt both give fine perfromances both playing and singing,,even Pete sings a good one and on the beautiful and powerful song "Is It Really Happening"( i,m listening now)great harmonies and piano building to a brilliant jam with powerful stomp ass perfomances by each member,,gotta turn it up!!!Roine Stolt literaly smokes the guitar on this album!!!I know Neal has gotten preachier over the years but he is still an american prog genius who still knows how to make great prog music!!! Check this album out with several listens.I really enjoy it!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2010 11:01:54 PM PDT
P. Quijada, Check out Brother Ape for great songwriting, vocals. variety of styles or basically everything a good prog album should have. I have a HUGE collection of music and these guys are some of my favorites. Check out "On The Other Side" Are you familiar with Kino, It Bites, Carptree, Simon Says, The Flower Kings, Knight Area , Mangrove , Martigan, Unifaun, Pendragon, Jadis, Riverside, Collage ,Satellite, Karmakanic, Moonrise, Arena, Transatlantic, Spocks Beard,Proto-kaw, RPWL, ??? These are all exciting and unique but I had to seek them out . I began in the late 60's with early Genesis and like most of these artists just as much. Give them a look and multiple spins, because some of them took some time to grow on me . We can all help guide you to stuff you'll like.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2010 11:09:56 PM PDT
P. Quijada, I think IQ's best is "Subterranea" and then Frequency and The Seventh House. Another possibility is the keyboard players solo by Martin Orford called 'The Old Road" which is terrific and more pop prog rock, with catchy shorter songs than the more serious IQ sound.

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 12:52:27 AM PDT
Jonas Mayer says:
J.R. it must be me, but I liked Martin's first solo album "Classical Music and Popular Songs" way better than "The Old Road". You,ve inspired me to give them both a listen again. I probably should have done this first and then I could have at least given you some specifics. On the off chance you haven't heard this one be sure to check it out.

Have you heard the pre IQ band The Lens? It featured both Martin and Mike Holmes guitarist for IQ. it was an instrumental band. Several years ago they decided to rerecord some of the old Lens material and release it. The album is called " A Word in Your Eye". When I originally read about it I was a little apprehensive but purchased it anyways. Boy was I surprised, it is one excellent CD considering it has no vocals (at least that's what I remember).
I guess I'll have to dig this one out as well.
Oh well a morning of IQ related music might help take some of the pain out of my coming day of tax preperations.

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 1:41:49 AM PDT
Martin Orford,what a great musician,plays guitar fairly well besides his excellent keyboard skills..i have "The Old Road",not bad,some pretty good songs with lots of great guests including John Wetton,,i got it on ebay for 5 bucks,,i want to get "Classical..." as well.I really like IQ's "Frequency" but "Dark Matter" is quite good too,especially the long "Harvest of Souls",,such an extremely good song!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2010 8:46:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2010 9:45:15 AM PDT
Jonas, I have Martins' first cd and hope he will release another with the influence of classical music , which I have always loved. The Old Road sounds like Asia, because of John Wetton, but also has some other catchy shorter songs which features Steve Thorne and a host of others. You may be right , I also like his first release maybe a touch more. The Old Road sounds very much like all of Steve Thornes cds with a lot of social/political comments. However,the opening instrumental on Emotional Creatures Part 2 is a killer song and you'll hear John Mitchells soaring guitar on some of the other cuts. I really like his singer/songwriter style and all the layers that have been added to give his music some drive, punch and pizazz!! Listen to the third cut on this album called 'Crossfire" and hear Steves acoustic guitar, blend with some great J. Mitchell lead. I really enjoy the production work on his albums ,plus Nick Virgilio's drumming will keep you interest as well as toes tapping!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2010 9:43:28 AM PDT
Jonas Mayer says:
J.R. I did relisten to both of Martin's solo releases yesterday. There's no doubt the Old Road has some killer guest musicians on it. I agree at times it sounded like a ST CD. John Mitchell is one of the best things to happen to prog in years. The arrangements on OR seem to be a little more developed than on his first release. I may have overstated my preference for CMAPS. They're both excellent albums although I still prefer the first over the 2nd.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2010 10:02:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2010 10:04:09 AM PDT
Jonas Isn't it interesting how many times you go back to an album, maybe months later. and it sounds so much better than you first thought. This has happened to me SO MANY TIMES I've lost count. This is why I keep saying give it time and multile listens over time. Did we all love Yes, when we first heard those strange high pitched vocals of Jon Anderson. I thought Carptree very strange at first but love everything they have now. I remember hearing Nursey Cryme , a long long time ago ,and wasn't sure if I liked it. For some reason I kept playing it ,probably for the keyboard parts and eventually grew to love this music, but I knew it was a process. I think some of us realize this and others may dismiss an artist to soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2010 10:53:04 AM PDT
Jonas Mayer says:
J.R. I completely agree. I remember the first time I heard Close To The Edge by Yes, I thought they'd lost their minds and I was a confirmed fan at the time. I'm definitely at fault for not giving some releases enough time, however there are times when personal taste steps in. Two good examples of popular prog releases that don't work for me no matter how many times I listen or how much time passes (so far) are the new Unitopia release "The Garden" and Beardfish's latest "Destined Solitaire".
I know a lot of people who put put both of these in their top ten lists last year but for me they're both a couple of turkeys. Sure there's a lot of great playing going on but the song writing isn't there imo and in the end I just walk away each time empty handed and uneffected. The Garden is a double CD and aside from the part that they lifted from Genesis's Suppers Ready it's about as memorable as a trip to the dentist. I could go on but Im sure you catch my drift. Sometimes I just get tired of trying to like something just because all the right indicators are there.

Posted on Apr 6, 2010 10:53:34 AM PDT
Regarding IQ - my favorites are Ever and Dark Matter. Really great albums. I was actually disappointed in Frequency. As a keyboardist myself, i prefer Orford to the new guy.

Posted on Apr 6, 2010 3:13:57 PM PDT
Robert,,welcome to the thread,nice to have you join in...We are all big fans of IQ here i beleive..My personal favs are D.M.Frequency and Seventh House followed by Subterranea...Martin Orford is GREAt and will be missed,,however i feel the new keyboardist is pretty good and a nice fit,,reminds me alot of Tony Banks,,of alot of keyboardists out there,i do feel he fits in rather well,,hopefully it wont be 5 more yrs before IQ gives us another gift of great music.....Now about John Mitchell,,,I love this guy,,one hell of a talented musician and wow can he play guitar and not a bad voice either!!! The things he's done with Kino,Frost and It Bites,along with his various collabs,,blows his work with Arena away.(cant stand Arena's singer,his stage prescense is comical)..Arean does have some good music but pales in comparrison.Thats just my thoughts.and Jonas,,man i do understand you thoughts on Unitopia,i dont care for some of the songs,,however the song So Far Away(way too short)is beautiful,the guy can play that piano.Angeligua is really good, and the title song The Garden blows me away,did from first listen..you might want to give it more listens!!!Anyways,i want to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread and others..keep on posting,,and btw havent heard from Britt or Koala lately,,hello ladies,we miss ya!!

Posted on Apr 10, 2010 10:09:51 AM PDT
Hello and happy day to everyone,,,This afternoon i want to talk about the legend of Phil Collins..to me the greatest,most innovative and talented drummer in music history,and his resume of artists is about the best you could find,,so many talented bands and artists that Phil has recorded with.Heres a list i've come up with of all the bands Phil has been involved in: Genesis,,Brand X,,Brian Eno,,Robert Fripp,,Steve Hackett solo,,Anthony Phillips,,Peter Gabriel's 3rd solo,,Robin Lumley & Jack Lancaster,,Jack Lancaster(Skimmingrove Bay),,Arif Marden,,Peter Hammil,,Camel,,Robert Plant,,Eric Clapton,,Al Di Meola,,Freida,,Phillip Bailey,,Mike Oldfield!! Each and every one of these albums are realy good!! I miss his playing alot,,No matter what people think of his unfortunate solo path,he is still the reigning king of percussion!! God Bless you Phil,we miss ya and wish you the best!!..Are there any ones i've missed???

Posted on Apr 10, 2010 10:22:30 AM PDT
999fine says:
Hi Russell.....nice forum discussion here! IQ...yes....Subterranea, Seventh House, and Frequency are my faves. IQ has a style unto themselves, readily identifiable. I really appreciate this band. On average I'd call them a more kinder and gentler prog, but these guys have the full capability of bringing everything to the table too.

@ Jonas ....haven't heard the Unitopia album you mention, but funny thing...I mentioned the same thing about Beardfish's latest album. Just couldn't get into it. I bought it after I had to pry Sleeping in Traffic Part 2 out of the car CD player after weeks and weeks of constant play.

Posted on Apr 10, 2010 10:45:12 AM PDT
Hello again Blake,,ty for joining in our little discussion here..i posted in your thread again little while ago...im thinking of IQ again,in particular the song "The Province",,man this song is absolutely killer.one of their very best both musically and lyrically,just gets better after each listen,,,folks this is one Bad Ass song!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2010 1:04:53 PM PDT
Jonas Mayer says:
Russell, I think the question is who hasn't Phil played with? One that came to mind is Argent. I forget which Argent album exactly, I believe it was either Counterpoint or Circus. If I remember correctly he was filling in for their drummer who was ill at the time.
Both albums are great imo.
Does the Tarzan movie soundtrack count ;)?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2010 1:13:17 PM PDT
Jonas Mayer says:
R. Blake Tobias I guess we shouldn't hold one clunker against Beardfish. This is definitely a band with a lot to say musically. I have both sleeping in traffic parts one and two and love them both. I'm curious have you heard either of their first 2 albums one of them is a double? I never hear them discussed and am somewhat curious as to how they compare.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2010 1:16:38 PM PDT
Drums on John Cale's "Helen Of Troy".

Posted on Apr 10, 2010 8:25:51 PM PDT
Jonas and Thomas nice job,correct on both,i knew i was forgetting a few!!!

Posted on Apr 10, 2010 8:48:16 PM PDT
Got a new cd today.."Shackelton's Voyage" by Eureka..Man what a nice album,,prog in fine form.Very well played album.Great guitar (both electric,acoustic and spanish) very simliar to Mike Oldfield! Overall very good prog sound,vocals on 3 songs,2 sung very well by Billy Sherwood and 1 by a woman named Kalema! A very pleasant surpise,,not one bad song on it,,only thing is its too short only 51 minutes.The best way to describe is to say take early Mike Oldfield,early Genesis and RPWL and mix it all together,,a solid 4 1/2 stars!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2010 5:26:28 AM PDT
999fine says:
Jonas, no I don't have their other stuff but definitely am considering "part 1". Just based on part 2, I'd have to agree with you. Even with Destined Solitude you can tell they've got much to say, but on that album it would seem there is an attention deficit disorder where much of these ideas where not allowed to fully gel.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Progressive Rock forum (350 discussions)

ARRAY(0x9f7b33a8)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Progressive Rock forum
Participants:  84
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Apr 3, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions