Customer Discussions > Protein forum

Which Protein is best?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 13, 2008 4:01:23 PM PDT
Let's face it, there are 3 things people are looking for when choosing a whey protein powder.
1. Taste
2. Calories/Carbs
3. Price

In no particular order of course. I have read countless reviews and cannot solve the mystery. I don't want to buy all 15 different brands out there and come back with analysis. Is 100% Whey Protein Gold standard best? I thought it tasted terrible but is really cheap.

How about Micell Edge? great taste but expensive and high in fat. I read isopure is great but again we need to get a good poll going. Based on these three factors what is best?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2008 7:11:47 PM PST
i like muscle milk and have noticed some good results while taking it. it taste amazing to get the rtd they are better it is like 33$ for 12 17oz i think they are the best

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2010 8:12:33 PM PDT
Hector, I didn't mind the Whey Protein Gold standard cookies and cream. I thought it tasted okay.

Posted on Mar 30, 2010 1:53:12 PM PDT
biotest metabolic drive. hands down.

Posted on Apr 19, 2010 12:06:58 PM PDT
W. Woods says:
If you're serious about your training then you'll be looking at the overall profile over carbs/cost/fat/etc.

That being said, Optimum Nutrition's whey gold standard has the best profile out there for the money. A close second would be Axis Labs' clutch protein. Both are great in chocolate.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2011 8:37:29 AM PST
Ed says:
How about plain old food? Half a chicken breast, half a tuna fish sandwich, glass of milk, and a small piece of meat all do the same thing in a natural way. You really do not need to spend all this money on supplements. Buy a bit more healthy food.

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 2:42:20 PM PST
(1) There was an in-depth analysis and multiple lab studies of protein drinks in Consumer Reports magaine this past summer. I heartily recommend that anyone who consumes these products review the article. There are problems with heavy metal contamination--enough contamination to cause serious health problems--almost across the board with protein drinks.

(2) If you want to continue taking powdered protein, consider skipping some of them and eat sardines instead. Yes, I am serious. Sardines are so low on the food chain that they escape virtually all contamination from metals and pollutants. They contain high levels of Omega 3s and are loaded with vitamins and minerals. Importantly, they are rich in protein and low in calories.

I systematically tried many (MANY!) brands and types of sardines to find some that weren't disgusting; I finally discovered these, and they actually taste GOOD (no, I'm not kidding). They are very convenient to eat, they come packed in extra-virgin olive oil, and eating one tin of these small Norwegian brislings gives you 14 grams of protein and only 150 calories: Bumble Bee Foods Sardines King Oscar Olive Oil, 3.75-Ounce Cans (Pack of 12).

Best wishes.

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 7:28:23 PM PST
Ed says:
Thank you for your input. I, too, read the Consumer Reports article, and it is as you state. There is no substitute for good food, and the risks from these drinks are not to be ignored. Thanks again for your reference and suggestion.

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 7:42:17 PM PST
Wow, totally forgot i posted this all those months ago. i have been taking the powdered drinks now for for the past 5 months when i got a terrible pain in my side and realized i had trace elements of zinc and iron causing irreparable kidney stones... jk.

love the Gold Standard, does the trick, still eating healthy. Good to know the amazon community is so responsive. thanks homies...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2011 5:54:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2011 6:09:15 AM PST
Ed says:
I hope things go well for you and ask that you consider eating small amounts of food throughout the day to give your body what it needs. You only have one body, and the risks v.s. benefits are just not worth it. Take a look at the Consumer Reports article as it may shed some light on these protein drinks. I did see a product that you might want to consider which is sold on Amozon: egg whites. This is an excellent way to get protein and throwing in a multiple vitamin a day will give you the rest of what you need. Food is always better than supplements. The egg whites come in 2 half gallon frozen jugs for $38.

Posted on Mar 5, 2011 2:26:07 PM PST
Bob's Red Mill All Natural Whey Protein Concentrate, 12-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4)
I was looking for a safe whey protein and came across this product sold here. Seems like it would pass CR standards (I didn't read the article however). Anyone disagree?

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 10:08:25 AM PST
Beach bod at what cost? Whey is the run-off of the cheese making process. Without all the artificial flavor enhancers and sweeteners, it would be unpalatable. It is not the cleanest octane fuel for your body.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2011 6:10:03 PM PST
You are the first one I've heard a negative comment from in re: whey. I am interested in knowing of the research behind your statement. Indeed, if this is the case, I would like to know more. I found some which is just whey and soy lecithin (Bobs Red Mill). Do you think it's "unclean" also??

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2011 1:38:39 PM PDT
I am not a researcher. My statements, factual, came from the following sources: 1) that whey is a run-off of the cheese-making process--from various dairy farmer's journal 2) anti-biotic and hormone residues--if the source is free of hormones, steroids and antibiotics, it would list it as such. 3) my comments that whey is unpalatable without the use of flavorings and sweeteners--a)list of ingredients of whey powders b) personal tasting of unflavored whey

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2011 1:50:05 PM PDT
OK.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011 12:22:57 PM PDT
sweitz says:
Oh yea let me just put a piece of chicken breast in a shaker, add some water, and take it to the face immeddiately after a workout. Troll.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011 1:16:50 PM PDT
LOL. I use whey too. But, you could take just eat the whole chicken breast after your workout.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011 7:07:13 PM PDT
JC says:
lol

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2011 7:15:25 AM PDT
Ed says:
I tried putting the protein powder in a whole grain sandwich, added water and that didn't work either.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2011 9:53:03 AM PDT
Just don't add the water next time Ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2011 7:41:10 AM PDT
Ed says:
Chair Dr, that was sarcasm towards Mark Sweitzer's post. It's hard to believe that some people can be so ignorant.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2011 12:37:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 23, 2011 12:40:25 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 12:43:02 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 23, 2011 12:44:46 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2011 12:48:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2011 10:22:42 AM PDT
LOL Ed. Thanks for pointing it out to me. You are right. I completely missed your intended sarcasm. So you too missed the irony. I know, the way I put it was much to subtle for you. That doesn't make you "ignorant" however.

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 8:27:47 AM PDT
gannie7 says:
The Organic Whey, http://theorganicwhey.com/purchase/ is from grass fed cows, no hormones or antibiotics....certified organic by USDA. Sold on their website and on Amazon.com. The Organic Whey - USDA Certified Organic Whey Protein, 12 oz
Also Dr. Mercola, www.mercola.com sells an organic whey product, http://proteinpowder.mercola.com/

These (organic) products are more expensive, but you get peace of mind that you are not consuming toxic metals that will ruin your health and cause more expense to remedy ailments brought about from toxic compounds in your whey protein powder.

I simply mix the Organic Whey powder (about 4 tablespoons) in a container with some organic milk or some water (1 cup or so), some flavored (strawberry or blueberry) organic (Stoneyfield) yogurt (1/2 cup or so) and whisk it together. Makes about 2 cups of the drink which is filling and delicious. Mixed plain with water doesn't work for me, but I guess some people like it that way/whey:)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Protein forum (4 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Protein forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Oct 13, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 30, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions