Customer Discussions > Receiver forum

HELP: Need 7.1 HDMI receiver w/ PHONO INPUT & mid-price

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 17, 2010 10:06:39 AM PDT
Wally Choice says:
Please help. I need a new 7.1 receiver with HDMI and a PHONO INPUT in the mid-price or cheaper range (living off pension) and have been researching all over the www and in stores for a few weeks. When I think I have found "the one," I do more research and read reviews, and then it's NOT "the one" anymore. I'm getting very frustrated and many, many headaches. Can anyone suggest a decent receiver? Thanks very much. Lou in the OC.

Posted on Aug 17, 2010 10:18:40 AM PDT
A/V guru says:
What do you keep finding that makes the one, not "the one" anymore?

also...what price is "decent"?

I would highly suggest the used market. HDMI 1.3 was around long enough that there are numerous receivers available used that would be a much wiser choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2010 11:46:14 AM PDT
Wally Choice says:
Thanks A/V guru.
Reviews: Onkyos get too hot, Sonys suck, this feature doesn't work unless you have an IQ of 190 and blah blah blah, etc. I would like to spend no more than $500 but it's pretty hard to find an 7.1 HDMI receiver w/ a phono input around that price. BTW, I'm replacing a SONY V444ES that I have been very happy with. The other option is to just move the SONY and turntable to the spare bedroom and buy a couple of speakers, forgetting all about a receiver w/ a phono input, and just get a 7.1 HDMI for the living room. Suggestions? Thanks.

Posted on Aug 17, 2010 12:18:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2010 12:55:37 PM PDT
A/V guru says:
Don't worry about the heat of an Onkyo. Don't put anyting on top of it and don't put it inside a cabinet where air is stagnant.

Sony does suck and only Denon makes no sense.

You will have to go used, unless you buy an external phono pre-amp. $500 and a phono input doesn't exist new anymore.

Here is an "oldie but goody"...two different sellers/auctions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Onkyo-TX-SR706-7-1-Channel-Home-Theater-HDMI-Receiver-/270620593700?pt=Receivers_Tuners
not sure if this one is sold as new...I'd ask

http://cgi.ebay.com/Onkyo-TX-SR706-100w-x-7ch-THX-HDMI-Sirius-Ipod-receiver-/130421281074?pt=Receivers_Tuners
this one is sold as new and comes with the 2 year warranty.

Same company as the second Ebay auction I showed you...apparently Amazon charges more than Ebay does to sell stuff.
Onkyo TX-SR706 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (click on the "1 new" link)

But by no means is that 706 your only choice...but at this price it is very difficult to pass up.

And...really the only things you'd miss from a new 708 is the radio internet streaming (which your computer can do, then just send it to the receiver) and HDMI audio return channel (which requires a TV capable of sending audio to the receiver via HDMI)

this would also be a wise choice with numerous "new/used/refurb" options...
Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2-Channel A/V Surround Home Theater Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

The only "real" difference between the 706/707 is that the 707 has 6 HDMI vs 4 on the 706 (the 707 was still "the new one" back in June, where the 706 is really only a year old...the 708 is now a "month" old)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2010 1:53:05 PM PDT
Wally Choice says:
Thanks, and it lookED like just what the doc ordered. But, again, these reviews scare me off: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR706-Channel-Theater-Receiver/product-reviews/B001AMSOYG/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2010 5:58:45 PM PDT
Wally Choice says:
The Onkyo 706 still looks very, very good, but I am concerned quite a bit about the review on Amazon that stated it would have trouble w/ Blu Ray players. Can you take the time to share your thoughts on that and the other negative reviews as I am extremely close to taking the plunge on the new 706 from that link you were kind enough to send along? Thanks again. (Nervous) Lou in OC

Posted on Aug 17, 2010 7:44:04 PM PDT
A/V guru says:
When we sold that receiver, we didn't hear of any issues with it. But every manufacturer makes the occasional lemon. I'd trust the ability to return it to Amazon (or the store Accesories for Less). But the posts that say "repeatedly sent for repair" are bogus. Every manufacturer will give you a new one on the third repair.

Posted on Aug 17, 2010 8:12:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2010 8:22:09 PM PDT
Buy a $100 to $300 phono preamp, and connect its output to a line-level input on any receiver or amplifier that lacks a phono stage.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2010 9:35:40 PM PDT
Wally Choice says:
Thanks, David, but I am 99% certain I'll be buying the Onkyo A/V guru recommended within 24-48 hours. (And to think, 30 or so years ago, I was known as "Mr. A/V" at the high school where I taught in L.A. The technology has certainly passed me by.)

Posted on Aug 18, 2010 7:29:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2010 10:19:54 AM PDT
The problem with consumer reviews and forum posts is they come from unknown authors, whose expertise and agendas, are unknown.

Three general suggestions you might want to use when evaluating these posts and product reviews.

1.) Is there a pattern of complaints about a given product?

2.) If so - is the complaint meaningful. For example - just because a receiver runs hot is that disqualifying - in other words - should not be purchased? A better question, using this example, would be: have there been a number of failures reported? That would be far more meaningful than just the fact that a receiver runs hot. Another example: If a feature is said to work poorly - is that a feature you will use. That complaint may not be meaningful to you. Or if someone says the ergonomics are poor - you need to remember that is a very personal opinion and means nothing more than you should download the manual from the manufacturer's web site to see if you agree.

3.) Evaluate the reviewer/poster. Just because someone sounds like an expert does not make them one. Just because someone tells you what to buy does not mean they have the expertise to do so. Just because someone has created a name that implies they are an expert does not mean they are one.

If you find a reviewer/forum poster you'd like to rely on - search through other forums or their reviews to see if this person's opinions have generally been respected. Another metric is does the reviewer make broad sweeping statements without qualifying remarks? If so - that should worry you. One phenomenon I've seen in these forums (and other forums) are people who make very definitive statements, imply they are experts but when challenged, can't back up their statements with any logical reasoning. Their resumes seem to shift from forum to forum too but their hallmarks are always the same: Broad sweeping statements telling you what to do and a claim (often implied) of expertise. These self-proclaimed GURUs I'd avoid like the plague. At the very least you should be very suspicious of this type of person.

Posted on Aug 23, 2010 10:31:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2010 10:36:04 AM PDT
Another piece of advance. A phone preamp section in any receiver - is likely to disappear soon - very soon. Whether it is S-video or composite video or a phone preamp section - these are all old interfaces and my best guess is that they won't appear next year or at best - two years later.

I'd buy now if you want a phono pre-amp section in a receiver.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2010 10:53:01 AM PDT
A/V guru says:
They won't disappear completely. They will just be on the $1500+ receivers and pre-amps.

Posted on Aug 24, 2010 3:40:44 PM PDT
Wally Choice says:
Thanks everyone, esp. a/v guru. I bought the Onkyo 706 and will be tearing apart my huge entertainment center and installing it later this week w/ a blu-ray dvd player and a plasma tv. If I run into trouble you'll see me on here again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Receiver forum (46 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Receiver forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Aug 17, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 24, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions