Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Atheism is a Religion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 248 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2012 9:46:13 AM PST
Last Call says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:55:31 AM PST
Newbomb Turk says:
Meaningless blather. Atheism doesn't require or indicate 'belief' in evolution or the Big Bang theory.

You lose.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:03:11 AM PST
Last Call: Atheism is a Religion; it is a belief system just like other religions.

Rachel: Complete and utter bushwa. A lack of belief is not a belief.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:09:39 AM PST
Mickey says:
Last Call,

I am agnostic, not atheist, and I disagree with some atheists on some issues - but you are wrong to call atheism a religion. Without a belief in a higher power there's no religion. You really have no idea of what you're talking about and I suggest you drop it. You're just setting yourself up to be humiliated.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 10:17:47 AM PST
Last Call says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 10:24:13 AM PST
Last Call says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:26:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 10:27:16 AM PST
Characteristics commonly associated with religion:

* sacred texts
* sacred places
* sacred rituals
* sacred days or holidays
* a set of moral / ethical requirements
* a set of behavioral requirements
* a set of required beliefs

Features of religion which are shared by atheism: NONE

So, how does atheism qualify as a religion, again?

"This Religion called Atheism is trying to push their Big Bang Theory on other religions ..."

You appear to be confusing religion, atheism, and physics.

Big Bang theory is a scientific theory which is consistent with and supported by evidence. It is not a matter of religion, or faith.

Also, I note you keep mentioning "God" as if (a) all theists were monotheists, and (b) all monotheists believed they worshiped the same deity, and we know that neither (a) nor (b) are true.

You really should re-evaluate your position, as it appears to be based on a number of false premises.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:27:23 AM PST
Mickey says:
Well, if you refuse to consider what anyone says, I guess you won't feel humiliated. But that raises the question of why you posted in the first place.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 10:42:45 AM PST
Rev. Otter says:
there's a "Christianity is not a religion" debate on the Christianity board right this minute.

i love irony. :)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 10:46:49 AM PST
Last Call says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:52:22 AM PST
Mickey says:
I suggest you include the entire definition. Cherry picking won't fool anyone.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 10:54:18 AM PST
Last Call says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:58:47 AM PST
Last Call says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:58:52 AM PST
J. Russell says:
Last Call says
This religion (Atheism) believes we were created from dead mater that came alive all by it self over millions of years and want everybody to believe as they do.

My Response
That is abiogenisis and one need not be an atheist to believe in abiogenisis.

Last Call says:
and want everybody to believe as they do

My Response
Actually as far as I am concerned you are free to believe anything you like as long as you apply it to YOUR OWN life. What I object to is when believers pass laws based PURELY on their religious beliefs that everybody else has to follow REGARDLESS of what they believe.
Things like making abortion harder and harder with the ultimate aim of making it illegal again.
Things like making homosexuals second class citizens, based on nothing but their religions beliefs.
Things like prohibiting stem cell research because THEY have religious objections.

Last Call says
They try to make us Christians feel stupid by comparing God with believing in Santa Clause, but want us to believe that we developed from monkeys, "Really"?

My Response:
If you are going to attempt to ridicule The Theory of Evolution it may help if you first learned what it ACTUALLY says. The Theory of Evolution DOES NOT say we came from monkeys.

Last Call says
This Religion called Atheism is trying to push their Big Bang Theory.

My Response
There is nothing is the lack of belief in gods that says you have to believe in The Big Bang Theory.

Last Call says:
And they are succeeding, the more they push God out the more evil is moving in to replace it... just look what is happening to our country as they push God out.

My Response:
Please be more specific. All you are doing is taking a generalized phobia and attributing it to something specific.
What? The Housing bubble was caused by lack of belief in god(s)?
9/11 was caused by lack of belief in god(s), actually on that specific one quite the reverse.
Are you one of those nut jobs that believe that hurricanes and other natural disasters are the act of some god punishing us for not believing ( even though believers are equally effected as non-believers by those events)?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:07:58 AM PST
Mickey says:
Just provide the entire definition of religion from your dictionary along with the name and edition of your dictionary.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:10:48 AM PST
Last Call says:

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 11:11:33 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 1, 2012 4:52:09 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:12:08 AM PST
Ataraxia says:
"God offers Love, Hope and a future to look forward too."

I know you are upset about analogies to Santa, but you just keep setting yourself up for those.
;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:13:35 AM PST
Astrocat says:
Oh, for pete's sake, Call, no one (except people who are ignorant) think the Theory of Evolution includes any thought that human beings "developed from monkeys". The Theory of Evolution says that all primates evolved from an unknown (at this time) common ancestor. The chimpanzee is our closest living relative, with from 94% to 99% (depending on the study) of DNA in common.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:13:58 AM PST
Rev. Otter says:
<<thats why they think they are never wrong, even when are proved to be wrong.>>

more irony! :D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:19:31 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 1, 2012 4:52:49 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:21:58 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 1, 2012 4:55:34 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:24:31 AM PST
Last Call says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:28:22 AM PST
Mickey says:
Last Call,

What was your purpose in starting this thread? Was it to convince anyone?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:32:35 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 1, 2012 4:58:14 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  248
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions