Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Why Are Atheists So Obsessed With Religion?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 29, 2012 11:46:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012 11:47:42 AM PST
A Customer says:
Why do many atheists devote so much time and energy to discussing religion; to attempting to debunk religion; to debating religious people, or to letting the world know they are non-believers? If you don't believe in "God" and do not subscribe to a religion of any kind, why bother discussing religion at all, and why care so much what other people do or do not believe?

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 11:55:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012 11:55:20 AM PST
Lj3d says:
This seems like it ought to ask this about theists. I've had religious folk come to my door wanting to witness. I've been exposed to religious ideas and teachings since almost birth. You cannot escape religion. The atheists I have known were not obsessed with religion. The religious that I have known were sometimes politely attempting to witness, save etc. Some try to shove it down your throat. I knew a guy who would go to the beach and pass out flyers and preach to anyone who would listen and being that people were at the beach to relax, few would listen to this guy. It was a quest for him and he was born again Christian. I actually felt sorry for him. As an agnostic myself, my policy here is to limit my posts to commenting on my ideas a little. I don't try to tell the religious they should turn away from their religion. But I always have religious people telling me I'll go to hell if I don't become born again, believe or whatever. Like I said, this thread title is a little off, IMO.

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 11:57:11 AM PST
R. Hanley says:
Because most athiests are Westerners, brought up in the European/American tradition of debating and/or convincing and/or converting others. Salman Rushdie is an atheist and you don't see him rushing around hollering about "no God". Western atheists are betraying their roots. Western atheists act like evangelicals and don't even realize it.

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 12:00:50 PM PST
A Customer says:
Counting down until we get that tedious boilerplate post from MA we see *everytime* one of these threads goes up. Yadda yada creationism, yada yada gay marriage, yada yada ...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 12:03:44 PM PST
Though indeed very true, and I would agree that most atheists aren't like this, I know several pastors, and they each have run into a certain kind of atheist who never wants to talk about last night's game, politics, the weather, that dopey thing celebrity X said or did in front of cameras---those from this particular group will talk with pastors about nothing other than God. Ad nauseum. It was particularly bad for a campus pastor I knew, for whom several highly vocal atheist professors would always accost him if he happened to be directly on campus (the campus ministry building was across the street) and start literally badgering him about his belief and how an intelligent and well read man such as himself could believe.

It is by no means a majority. But it does happen occasionally.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 12:04:31 PM PST
Lj3d says:
R. Hanley: Western atheists act like evangelicals and don't even realize it.

Lj3d: It worked well for the Moral Majority evangelicals and other religious groups these past three decades, maybe the western atheists are simply adapting tactics that proved to work well for the religious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 12:05:44 PM PST
NCLady says:
I think it is because they are afraid. They are afraid they are wrong. See, if a Christian is wrong, what terrible things could happen to them? If an atheist is wrong, well there could be some very uncomfortable things awaiting them.
Most true atheist are very comfortable in being with a Christian and don't resort to trying to convince them that God does not exist. Just as a true Christian can be with an atheist without trying to bash them over the head with Christianity. Just loving each other and respecting each other's differences will make more difference, than any attempt of persuasion on either's side.

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 12:07:01 PM PST
A Customer says:
I'm standing by the wording of the title. In composing it, I was thinking of the members of atheist groups that sponsor billboards to challenge religion, and to perhaps attract others to their "cause". I also had in mind the sort of self-proclaimed atheists that actively seek out religious people to engage in debate, and/or openly insult religious people as dim-witted, etc. for believing in what some atheists term "fantasies" or "fairy tales". Obviously not every atheist does these things, and my intention is not to paint all with the same brush - just the particular atheists who often dwell on religion and feel the need to discuss it and debate it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 12:07:21 PM PST
Lj3d says:
Prometheus Lass: It is by no means a majority. But it does happen occasionally.

Lj3d: I agree. I would have to say that my experience is that religious people are more likely to push their views, especially Christians...if for no other reason, they believe God wants them to witness, to save.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 12:10:09 PM PST
Lj3d says:
I don't expect you to change your title. I'm not even going to tell you to change your beliefs. I'm just saying that it really works both ways and in my experience, its been more religious people who are obsessed than atheists. I have had religious coworkers who didn't even know me ask if I'm born again or saved. Never had an atheist come up and say religion is a bad idea unless they already knew me pretty well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 12:11:37 PM PST
Ku says:
This is weird, ACu. A presumably religious person attacks atheists for discussing religion but won't contribute anything worth reading on the subject of religion themselves.

Sounds like atheists have a better handle on the forum's purpose than you do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 12:13:48 PM PST
A Customer says:
Lj3d, I agree that some religious people can be aggressive toward atheists, but they seem to be motivated by the idea that the uninitiated will "go to hell" or some such. They generally want to help "save" a person who is without religion. Atheists have no such calling. None that I'm aware of anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 12:16:53 PM PST
A Customer says:
Not so "weird", Ku. When someone claims to have no religious faith and yet feels the need to discuss religion at length and debate its veracity, I wonder what motivates them.

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 12:18:18 PM PST
A customer says:
Only 1% of America identify themselves Atheist compared to 80% who identify themselves Christians. So, we should dismiss the 1% as loons? That is the real question

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 12:19:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012 12:19:58 PM PST
Lj3d says:
True A Customer. Nor do agnostics such as myself. I figure adults are free to choose whatever they see fit, especially ones I don't personally know. I have no particular belief to preach on. I look at religion as very personal to those who are religious, and its not my business to sway them unless they sway first, lol. My agnosticism is something I keep to myself unless I'm asked about it or I state it in these forums to clarify my position.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 12:19:29 PM PST
Ku says:
Perhaps an understanding that religion is seen as an all-encompassing worldview by believers that governs their interactions with non-believers, ACu.

Are you implying atheists shouldn't post here?

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 12:22:55 PM PST
A Customer says:
The late Christopher Hitchens was well known for his atheism, yet IMO, he was a man of great faith ... in his own convictions. His "higher power" was the power of human inquiry and critical thinking. He preached his worldview to the masses and embraced and defended his beliefs with zeal. It just seems to me that atheists who involve themselves deeply in religious debates behave similarly to the religious people they engage.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 12:24:21 PM PST
A Customer says:
Ku, I want atheists to post! It's not a religious "What do you believe?" challenge. I am just interested to learn why people who claim to have no religion are so interested in discussing and debating religion. A religious person cannot answer that question.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 12:25:35 PM PST
Ku says:
You want atheists to post but you can't say why they should post?

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 12:26:48 PM PST
A Customer says:
Ku, the only atheists that "should" post are the ones that want to. There is no point otherwise.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 12:28:46 PM PST
Ku says:
Why do you want atheists to post?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 12:29:49 PM PST
A Customer says:
Ku (aka "Socrates"), To answer the question.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 12:31:12 PM PST
Ku says:
The question you pose is based on a false premise. There is no obsession.

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 12:31:41 PM PST
A Customer says:
There is no obsession in your opinon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 12:33:15 PM PST
Ku says:
There is no obsession in my opinion.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 49 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1552 17 days ago
Why did those who are now atheists leave Christianity? 4245 4 minutes ago
Today in Muslim History 7711 14 minutes ago
Religion, No Religion - Who Really Cares? 25 26 minutes ago
ISIS, Trump, and Brexit: are these apocalyptic times? 51 39 minutes ago
On Refugees 73 46 minutes ago
Is Crooked Hillary the Choice for Atheists because she is Crooked? Loves Aborting Baby Girls? Trashed the Women who Told The Truth About Impeached Cheating Bill? Or is it her Amoral Awkwardness that Attracts the Atheists To Crooked Hillary? 158 52 minutes ago
Love 28 1 hour ago
Jesus probably didn't exist. Brian Bethune in response to Bart Ehrhman 2887 1 hour ago
One-sentence Nonsense Deepities for Fun and Prophet 121 1 hour ago
What would Christ say about Trump: evangelical hero, crackpot, or psychopath? 1139 2 hours ago
Profound Influence Of Stoicism On Christianity 25 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  107
Total posts:  1211
Initial post:  Jan 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions