Customer Discussions > Religion forum

What is your burning question? The question that drives you?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 122 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2012 12:06:32 AM PDT
'probabilist says:
----------------------------------------------------------
"I have always thought," Alveron said at last, introducing the topic of our discussion, "that everyone has a question that rests in the center of who they are."

"How do you mean, your grace?"

"I believe everyone has some question that drives them. A question that keeps them awake nights. A question they worry at like a dog with an old bone. If you understand a man's question, it brings you closer to understanding the man himself." He looked sideways at me, half-smiling. "Or so I have always believed."

I thought on it a moment. "I would have to agree with you, your grace."
----------------------------------------------------------

- The Wise Man's Fear
by Patrick Rothfuss

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 12:09:01 AM PDT
'probabilist says:
What is your burning question? The question that drives you?

'prob

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 2:54:50 AM PDT
Astrocat says:
I used to have a burning question, but then, over time, it was answered. The question was "What is the purpose of this particular incarnation?"

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 5:25:42 AM PDT
My question: "How does that work?"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 5:32:53 AM PDT
Ambulocetus says:
I have two, but they're a married couple, and they're hella fertile:
1) Why are human beings so viciously, psychotically, purposefully, almost supernaturally ignorant, stupid, incompetent, and evil?

2) Given that human beings are just souped-up primates, how can they possibly make such incredible things as symphonies, scientific knowledge, spacecraft, and coherent, workable societies?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 5:45:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2012 7:35:26 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
Mine:

"What (process) led to us being here?"

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 6:21:14 PM PDT
jpl says:
Thanks for the post, probalilist.

The driving question that drives me is to fulfill ageing.

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 6:27:47 PM PDT
quert says:
Although its not my question, this one moves me everytime. In the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Quasimodo asks, "Why was I not made of stone like thee?" 

Such poignancy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 7:20:30 PM PDT
Wow. This is a really thought-provoking question, Prob.
Hmmm...
Maybe: "How can I make this better?"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 7:27:08 PM PDT
MMX says:
"What percent of people truly and deeply care about something-beyond themselves?"

"Is it automatically worth it to care about something-beyond-yourself, even if you get hammered by the masses for doing so?"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 7:45:18 PM PDT
quert says:
MMX, why would the masses even have to know whether one cares about something beyond oneself?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 7:48:25 PM PDT
"It's the question that drives us. You know the question, just as I did..."

"What is The Matrix?"

"The answer is out there, Neo, and it will find you, if you are looking for it"

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 7:54:37 PM PDT
Mine:

"What did Billy Joe McCallister throw off the Tallahachee Bridge?"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 7:59:03 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
,.-)

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 8:59:45 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
My eternal question is: how can so many humans, the majority it seems, actually believe the unbelievable ignorant krappe they seem to believe?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 9:10:47 PM PDT
quert says:
Jettos, :-) . Who put the ram in the rama-dama-ding-dong?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 9:53:03 PM PDT
Neo. Whoaaaaah. I always thought his name was "Neil" - which always cracked me up for some reason. Shoot. And all this time it was Neo. That's almost disappointing...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 9:58:45 PM PDT
MMX says:
quert: "why would the masses even have to know whether one cares about something beyond oneself?"

MMX: Because caring about something beyond oneself inevitably affects the masses (who are beyond oneself). Inevitable discovery.

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 10:24:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2012 10:28:02 PM PDT
Jack Vix says:
I searched for so long that the search party died. I sought dozens of answers, I've found but a few. I don't worry about any kind of meaning or point or absurd notion of grandiosity, just living is enough for me. Life is precious to me and no question really burns that deep to keep me from feeling complete in myself.

Of course, I still wonder and lay awake at night at times about the things we will never know. The obvious curiousity of exactly how the universe came to be and what, if anything, was before or if it's somehow infinite. I wonder what the different species beyond earth are like. I wonder if intelligent creatures of other galaxies are violent and if they'd look at us like dumb crazy monkeys or understandable simple and predictable organisms. I wonder if happiness has ever found a place to grow anywhere in the universe. I wonder, considering human nature and how corruptible we are, if we had a different form of government, far less darwinian, if we would still live lives of quiet desperation. I constantly wonder about the new world order and if they're planning a final solution of some kind to deal with the population and lack of resources, or if they're going to just let the grains of sand fall down the hourglass one by one. I wonder how people can hold so much false hope in the face of reality constantly beating them down, how they can't just live without clinging to something.

I wonder how I'll die.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 8:09:15 AM PDT
Stan Furman says:
To Jack Vix:

<<I wonder how I'll die.>>

It's nothing to wonder about - when it happens, you won't be there. :)))

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 9:28:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2012 9:31:20 AM PDT
After watching Shakespeare's "King Lear" , the audience has not one, but many questions about existence. These questions are never put to rest, such is the power of that play.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 11:34:53 AM PDT
Jack Vix says:
I won't be there when I die? Of course I will, what the hell does that even mean? I'm gonna be asleep or in a coma when I die? How do you know this?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 11:41:22 AM PDT
Stan Furman says:
Calm down. It just means that there might be a "you" thru some part of the process, but when you die you won't know you did because there won't be any "you" to know that... and that is something you obviously knew already :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 11:48:18 AM PDT
Jack Vix says:
I'm completely calm. You feel goodies always project negative feelings on words how you read them and assume they were felt in typing them.

Yes, obviously when I'm dead I'll be... dead. That has nothing to do with anything. I will be there when I die unless I'm unconscious.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 11:55:13 AM PDT
Stan Furman says:
To Jack Vix:

<<You feel goodies always project negative feelings on words how you read them and assume they were felt in typing them>>

Does that mean you calling me a "feel goodie" is a projection? :)))

Usually a use of "what the hell" in a reply indicates a particular level of emotional involvement... but if you say you are "completely calm", so be it, you'd know that better than me for sure.

<<I will be there when I die unless I'm unconscious.>>

Of course you will... BTW, are you here now? From our previous discussions I got an impression that you agree with scientific view of "I" being an illusion... :)))
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  122
Initial post:  Oct 5, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions