Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

After 14 years of devoted Christianity...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 8, 2012 5:43:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 9, 2012 3:54:37 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 6:41:36 PM PDT
Hi CJ,

Just know that God still has a plan for you, and this is just a passing flit of rationality. He knows, as no other can know, you know, that you are still delusional.

This is obvious because you think someone might want to read your book.

I'd suggest you wait a few weeks, and then write a book about how you were a devoted Christian, then watching the Democratic National Convention made you doubt God's very being, and spent forty days and nights before you saw a burning toadstool or something that spoke to your heart and reclaimed your soul for eternal salvation.

There's a huge audience for that sort of tripe. Not so much for the other.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 7:01:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 9, 2012 3:55:34 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 7:35:38 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 9, 2012 6:03:36 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 9:34:12 PM PDT
even if its free you are spammign your book

abuse reported for violation of amazon forum rules

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 9:52:35 PM PDT
"L: Funny, that's how I felt after watching the Republican convention. The Democratic convention gave me hope again that God still cares about us little guys and gals..."

But Democrats aren't going to buy a book about someone losing their faith and then regaining it. They do it all the time. It be like buying a book on how to join arms and sway while singing a song.

Republicans, especially southern ones, eat up any books about the religious lost coming back to the fold. I'm just suggesting he write for the biggest audience. And ya, it would be even better if he added in being a member of a Navy SEAL team and killing some European despot while arranging the deportation of a thousand Cubans, but he's a new author, and probably needs to start small.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 10:17:03 PM PDT
Re OP: I sympathize, but Amazon's rules include that you not flog your own writings in the Discussion forums. Post the relevant stuff in Meet the Authors.

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 10:29:24 PM PDT
Abandoning belief in higher powers dramatically improved my trust in myself, my confidence in my abilities and my awareness of my own potential. I was empowered in many ways... Join me at Atheism United Headquarters on Facebook or like my page Lance A. Sievert on Facebook...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 2:47:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2012 2:48:24 AM PDT
My mistake I did not realize you could not mention any books. Removed book reference.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 3:31:48 AM PDT
CJ,

I think you can, just not your own --- authors may have more restrictions about mentioning any books. We are free to discuss books and put links up to books that are relevant to our discussion. If I found a book about 14 year olds, I could even put a link up to it. Of course that would only make sense if I thought you were 14 and were talking about your life up until now and that the book helped understand a 14 years olds view of the world. More aptly I might post an alternative book to Christianity. I might even get away with posting yours, as I'm not the author!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 4:56:44 AM PDT
B. Josephson says:
Uh, huh...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 4:59:31 AM PDT
B. Josephson says:
Reed, an author mentioned a book, and I talked to him about it, and both his and my post were removed.

I had never had a post deleted by Amazon before, and I had been posting for years.

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 5:29:46 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 5:36:48 AM PDT
B. Josephson says:
No afraid not oh nonsensical one.

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 6:08:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2012 10:22:17 PM PDT
Helloloo ! YES- and that is Why God made us delusional - otherwise we could not have access to Him !

Plus delusions always come in pairs like the raven and the dove released from the ark ;

"
Genesis 8:7-9 (KJV)

7:And he sent forth a raven, which went forth to and fro, until the waters were dried up from off the earth. 8:Also he sent forth a dove from him, to see if the waters were abated from off the face of the ground;..."

So the " God is a delusion " inevitably leads to the delusion that : " delusions are delusions " which terminates in : only God is Real "

" First we have the matter of the raven being sent out. We know that it is an unclean animal by Hebrew standards, this because it is the type of bird that feeds on carrion (other dead things.) Being unclean it also means Noah only had two of them and let one go. We also know it did not return to the ark; it flew to and fro, and in all likelihood would have had to land on various floating things, feeding on what it could find until the water dried up. "

" Then we have the dove, a clean animal by sacrificial standards. The dove was much more discerning about where she would touch the ground. A dove does not feed on dead things and apparently wouldn't even land on them. The dove instead flew about and returned to the ark. Then Noah waited seven more days before sending the dove again. The next time, it returns, in the evening, with an olive leaf in its beak. The dove stays another seven days, and next time Noah sends it out, it does not return. "

" The raven represents the man of this world without God, and that he would be at home in the aftermath of the flood, even before the waters of judgment dried up. The dove however is different; in representing the Holy Spirit, it cannot come down where God's judgment is present. Even today, the Holy Spirit may be fluttering about and wanting to land on you, but if there is any presence of the judgment of God on you, it cannot land on you."

" Another thought of mine is that the dove represents the Holy Spirit, and each seven day period back in the ark represents a time period, or dispensation. The first time period being the Old Testament when the savior had not yet come. The time while the dove was flying around may have been the inter-testamental period. The second time after the dove was sent out, it returned in the evening, which I take as potentially representing the `last days', or the time of Christ. This time it returned bearing an olive leaf, which today we may mean to take as a sign of peace, though I don't know what meaning it would had back then. Then, after another seven day stay, the dove is gone. The general thought is that at some point in the future, the Holy Spirit will depart as well. "

The thesis is : God is a delusion =Raven
The antithesiss is :God's non existence is a delusion = Dove
Synthesis: Dove returns with Olive Branch = Peace be with you

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 1:00:39 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
CJ, the god of Christianity is, imo, a delusion, "he" only exists in the minds of the believers. When I left the Catholic church (after having been raised a Methodist and converted to Catholicism at the age of 19), it took me several years before I could even bear to say "Jesus" out loud. Definitely an overload of dogma and blind belief. What got me going again was learning about other facets of spirituality, other systems, and how so many of them corresponded to each other, and especially where Judaism and Christianity had actually come from, what their roots were, i.e., Ancient Egyptian mythology and Zoroastrianism, and there's wild mix for you if ever there was one!

At any rate, I'm not an atheist, have never been drawn in that direction, but I certainly do not accept the "god" of the Christians.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 3:27:32 PM PDT
B. Josephson,

wow --- so the author would need a pen name to carry on the conversation?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 11:23:16 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
Quothe the Raven...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 2:06:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2012 2:29:41 AM PDT
Hi Red, I was browsing this thread and your post was consistently mind-bending. I like it better, however than the one about old dudes banging adolescents. I've lost the ability to accept any sort of chronology in the early chapters of Genesis, apart from the genealogies themselves. But these quotations from whoever's commentary you've got them are interesting.

>>" First we have the matter of the raven being sent out. We know that it is an unclean animal by Hebrew standards, this because it is the type of bird that feeds on carrion (other dead things.) Being unclean it also means Noah only had two of them and let one go. We also know it did not return to the ark; it flew to and fro, and in all likelihood would have had to land on various floating things, feeding on what it could find until the water dried up. "

>>" Then we have the dove, a clean animal by sacrificial standards. The dove was much more discerning about where she would touch the ground. A dove does not feed on dead things and apparently wouldn't even land on them. The dove instead flew about and returned to the ark. Then Noah waited seven more days before sending the dove again. The next time, it returns, in the evening, with an olive leaf in its beak. The dove stays another seven days, and next time Noah sends it out, it does not return. "

J.H.--Starting with the Raven, this idea of clean and unclean animals inserted in that text, where the Deuterocannonical code or the oral Torah wasn't revealed yet is one of those passages we scratch our head over, and wonder 'who' could have inserted this? I'm also reflecting on the textual mention of Noah taking 7 pairs of 'clean' animals. Considering how extra-biblical myth has certain ravens who are called 'eyes' of Odin, I'm not so certain a modern interpretation lends itself to the birds.

Rainbow Crow (Dragonfly Books)

Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest

Crows!: Strange and Wonderful

J.H.--I've always wondered about that vegetation carried by the dove as well. Having kept aquariums as a child, I can assure you that vegetation which isn't specifically acclimated to underwater oxygenation will certainly drown and rot. So, the inference of the olive branch being from dry land would almost have to have been a plot of ground which remained above water. Since I believe in other creation myths and catastrophic events besides Noah's flood, this isn't too disturbing. In fact it's more meaningful from an American standpoint that all the animals were entrusting this man in his amazing venture. And when the time came for re-emergence, the man was listening to the animals.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 2:21:37 AM PDT
Just for future reference CJ, you could have edited out the book title, or inserted another title from the same subject without having to delete the opening thread of your post. I've bought books from Amazon when an author brought it up in the topic of a conversation sometimes. I know some folks would report them anyways, but I've not seen Amazon delete those posts arbitrarily, barring otherwise socially unacceptable behavior.

I don't know whether Amazon would let you edit a deleted post now. But if you can discuss the topic without specifically promoting your book title, I've never seen someone deleted just for mentioning they were an author either. Nor have I yet seen Amazon arbitrarily delete someone when another customer asks them about what they've authored. I guess they mean for participants to learn the art of the 'soft' peddle. Then, I've been visiting here a couple years.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Sep 8, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions