Customer Discussions > Religion forum

I really miss the smart atheists

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2012 3:46:11 PM PDT
I have been participating in Amazon discussions for about six years. For quite awhile, my 'home forum' was the discussion forum for Richard Dawkins' 'The G-d Delusion'. I was one who denied the existence of G-d, in that forum. We had some razor sharp atheists, back then. Atheism was 'in'.

About a year and a half ago, I had a spiritual re-awakening. My faith returned to me. I started arguing against militant atheists, who were becoming so aggressive with their 'creed', that they were making rivaling the religious intolerance that they claimed to be offended by. Atheism, as a creed, has all of the worst traits of the aggressive proselytizing religions, and no redeeming qualities. It literally markets pointless hatred and intolerance.

The most intelligent atheists left. The pointless intolerance of atheism, in its creedal form, was not something that more thoughtful atheists wanted to associate with.

Consequently, intelligent discussion has pretty much dried up. I miss the discussions with the intelligent skeptics. The current crop offers nothing more than mindless scoffing, and expressions of self-delusion concerning their ability to reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 4:03:26 PM PDT
brunumb says:
If you're looking for mindless scoffing Jen, read the OP.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 4:13:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2012 4:14:07 PM PDT
A Customer says:
I couldn't have said it better Jen. Like you said many of these guys are not normal plain ol' atheists, who simply lack a belief in God. A plain ol' atheist doesn't believe in God and doesn't spend his life obsessing that someone, somewhere does. Yet for some of these militants, it's all they think about, which to me seems bizarre, I was pretty non-religious and agnostic at one point in my life but I had no desire to consume books written arguing that there is no God, it would have seemed like an unfulfilling and boring thing to spend my time on.

Yet some of these guys, that's all they read. You look at their Amazon profile and the only things they have listed in there are loads and loads of books by Richard Dawkins, Victor Stenger, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, a bunch of books on evolution (from some reason that's the only field of science they care about) and maybe a review of Bill Mahar's stupid Religulous DVD. There's one guy, I wont mention his name, let's just say that he fancies himself as having a "scientific mind", when you look at his profile, you get the creeps, that is all this guy fills his mind with is "new atheism" books. In my humble opinion, these are fanatics, not representative of your average atheist, who simply doesn't believe in God and doesn't spend his life thinking about it. These militants have turned their atheism into a religion, a very intolerant religion at that.

Prepare to get buried in an onslaught of no votes ;)

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 4:18:37 PM PDT
There aren't that many smart theists around.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 4:21:58 PM PDT
Cliff Sedge says:
A bunch of buzzwords repeated aimlessly.

Let's see.....militant, aggressive, intolerance, hatred, intelligent.

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 5:49:02 PM PDT
james says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 5:55:50 PM PDT
Joe W says:
"Seems to me they have to have more faith in nothing than I do in God!"

That is one of those things that theists say to feel self-righteous. It is, after all, easier to deride a fictional construct of a postion, than the actual position, itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 5:57:03 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
I particularly miss these posters' contributions to discussions here:

- James Walsh
- Ludos Ludeteros
- James Longmire

And I'm a theist.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 5:57:22 PM PDT
james

As a non-smart theist that is because you don't trouble yourself to listen with comprehension to what people say.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 6:07:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2012 6:34:13 PM PDT
Me, too, Prob. Me, too.
All three of the atheists you name here were known to come to the defense of Christians against bigotry. I really appreciated that. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 6:10:27 PM PDT
jpl says:
Hi, Macheath.

jpl: I agree with you. Why would an atheist spend his or her time reading books that they already agree with?

By the same token, why do christians read only one book and accept it?

It really doesn't matter. Few minds get changed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 6:13:33 PM PDT
jpl says:
I really miss the smart atheists

Mark R. Allen says: There aren't that many smart theists around.

jpl: This remark can't be proved or disproved. It's a generalization. Do you assume that all christians are smart?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 6:34:59 PM PDT
And all three of them could make me laugh so hard I had tears running down my face. And they could get me to look at things from a different perspective. I LOVE when that happens!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 6:41:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2012 6:53:41 AM PDT
I also miss Runny Babbit, John Evans, Nietz, Calvin Lawson, Rebecca, John Stephens, z fish, jam, Searching, EK, Zilch, Emily-God, Green Lantern, Stephen Marley, Iain...
Edit: And SCOBENJA, too!!

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 6:51:05 PM PDT
(I started to list all the atheists I enjoy who are still here, and I realized there are still a LOT of posters on here who contribute to worthwhile, witty conversation.)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 7:08:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2012 7:09:13 PM PDT
Nova137 says:
I miss Yanguetza, Väinämöinen, Perspectivus, R. Largesse, Lud Lud, ...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 8:05:21 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
,.-)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 8:31:22 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Well, la di da. Look in the mirror, Jen. What goes around comes around. kWIM?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 9:54:21 PM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 10:36:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2012 10:36:43 PM PDT
Atheists come on this platform just to tease believers. They have a ya boo philosophy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 10:48:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2012 12:05:09 AM PDT
I had written a sarcastic reply, but I will change it to a criticism of your OP.

I don't know how a "spiritual awakening" works, after years of being an atheist, but I am happy for you that you have found something that you deem positive to believe in.

You do realize that you have come here and just implied that all the atheists on this forum are, stupid, intolerant, delusional of their intelligence, and hate-filled.

There is a certain herd mentality on these boards. Some posts are mere entertainment or trolls meant for "the tribe", which rewards the member with yes votes. I sometimes see pages of these. Have you actually tried putting down a non-troll post, and seen if someone will debate you with actual ideas? It doesn't seem to be your purpose with the OP.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 10:57:41 PM PDT
brunumb says:
Jeff Marzano: " I have enough negative energy in my life already."

Don't feel too bad Jeff. Somebody has to occupy the bottom end of the bell curve, and you won't be alone. Just be sure to cover your head tightly with your tin foil hat in case the aliens from Atlantis try to probe you and take control.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 11:03:27 PM PDT
Re Macheath, 10-5 4:13 PM: I like to think of myself as one of the intelligent atheists, and I participate in a number of the Amazon forums. My motive for doing so is simple: I want to help extirpate, once and for all, the religious delusions of mankind. They are a waste of time, energy, and money, are an impediment to rational thought, and contribute nothing to our species (or the planet) except a feeling of warm fuzziness. But I won't NO vote either your post, or the OP: notwithstanding their questionable validity, they do in fact "contribute to the discussion."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 5:48:28 AM PDT
Well said! Count me as another key-board soldier.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 8:24:48 AM PDT
Nova137 says:
Although perhaps true in some instances, perhaps it would be better to think of everyone in a state of consciousness. When looked at through this lens, we see the atheist playing their role in the unfolding of humanity; asking our species to be more responsible; asking us to be more fact-based, less fantasy-based. They are helping mankind transition. It isn't that the projection of a creator of the known universe that resides outside of it doesn't have some merit, but using the subjective guidance of said deity as the sole means of governing the self and the lives of others is fraught with misconception. Atheism (as well as certain forms of spiritual science) is helping us with these misconceptions.

Otoh, being too fact-based has its drawbacks as well (just as being too fantasy-based has its drawbacks, some of which overlap). If I am asked to remove every element of my subjective feelings about how to guide myself and others (literally using only facts), I lose part of the means of decision-making that allows me to predict what the unknown holds for me. I'll say this again, but worded slightly differently. If I have to literally use facts only, I cannot make predictions. I'm saying here, for the sake of discussion, that facts can only speak about the known, they say nothing about the unknown. In this extreme example of removal of the subject, progress is stunted at the gate. I cannot interpret, think or use intuition (feelings, hunches, etc.) to guide *how I perceive the facts as fitting together*. This is an extreme end of the spectrum, and, for the sake of discussion, I'm suggesting that removal of religious feeling (and, thus, possibly removal of other subjective states) is such an extreme.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 110 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1213 17 days ago
Slowly through the Book of Job 4237 11 seconds ago
has any biblical miracle ever been proven? 453 10 minutes ago
keep one change one started 14 september 2012 9415 15 minutes ago
Awaiting a New Darwin 771 20 minutes ago
Pearls from the Bible 83 27 minutes ago
Are we headed for a religious war to end all religious wars? 50 31 minutes ago
Women. Religion's longest running victims. 50 1 hour ago
Here they go again: Shakepen wildly claims:"To LDSaint: Of course, creationism is wrong......Creationism can be proved wrong because it is contradicted by a number of sciences." 150 1 hour ago
Science II 2016 2 hours ago
goblue wildly claims that he knows something or other, or understands something about something or thus and such. Anyway, when did you put goblue on ignore? Is there anyone left here who hasn't? 26 3 hours ago
Homosexuals and the right to adopt children... where do you stand? 6909 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  91
Total posts:  2726
Initial post:  Oct 5, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions