Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Churches are not about good and evil. They are about money and power.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 127 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2012 6:28:24 PM PST
J. Kinsell says:
We all know that good men do evil things, the same as evil men do good things. Hitler loved his dog. Religion is not about good versus evil. It's rich versus poor, powerful versus powerless. The (Catholic) church knows that with money and power, it can affect outcomes, control things. It can (historically) make or break kings, and build or crush empires. The meek don't inherit anything but the earth under which they are buried, while their children's lifetimes are spent in indentured servitude. The poor have no power. The rich and powerful allow them the illusion, while the top leadership lives in splendor within the richest organization on earth. The privileged allow elections in which all the candidates are owned by them. They allow a choice between their bought-and-paid-for alternatives. Belief and faith are the elixirs promoted to preserve this enormous institutional power and keep believers and the faithful in line. 10's of millions of faithful live in squalor and hunger while the Vatican is a vast treasurehouse filled with the spoils of centuries of plunder and titheing. It's worth is beyond estimation.
It's men are emasculated and women in its service are relegated to a highest achievement of nursing or domestics or teachers; none of whom will ever enter the upper echelons or lead a congregation. What do you think?

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 6:33:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2012 6:46:16 PM PST
I hope you are prepared for an onslaught of cut and past bible verse.

Put on your sou wester:

http://www.downhomelife.com/images/submissions/3/tn/mini-vix_2224_diesel_in_sou_wester_by_vicky_martin__vam_102916.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 6:38:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 5:20:24 AM PST
Kevin Bold says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 8:23:09 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 8:36:07 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Horse, I sometimes - not often - wonder where you were raised, or where you live. You have such rigid fundamentalist attitudes that I would guess somewhere in the Appalachians or maybe Texas. You are so filled with hatred that it could be somewhere in the white supremacist areas of Idaho. Hmmm.....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 8:37:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2012 8:39:17 PM PST
>>.....the prots that broke off .....<<

.....and not only them.

Ever splintering factions leveraging for control.

Which one are you in?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 8:39:07 PM PST
i hate evil and lies

not a white supremacist at all

what makes you think i am a fundie
my bible based beliefs go against many of their nonsensical claims that they carried over from the whore of babylons pagan practices and the popes lies

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 8:39:51 PM PST
i think there are some small groups only interested in christ and spreading the word without any intention of going after wealth or power

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 8:41:02 PM PST
Q:>>what makes you think i am a fundie<<

A:>>carried over from the whore of babylons pagan practices and the popes lies <<

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 8:41:22 PM PST
i am not in any of them

i am a member of the original true church of God as it was circa AD 30-40 before the others started corrupting it and broke away to seek power and wealth

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 8:41:54 PM PST
that is just true factoids
even the rcc honchos admit they stole pagan practices and use them

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 8:42:58 PM PST
Oh come on, it's all about power.

You want to rest power from the Pope, don't you?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 8:43:41 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Horse, your terminology gives away your fundie tendencies "whore of babylon"? Really? Do you think that's not a dead giveaway?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 8:44:36 PM PST
nope

i have no interest in having power at all
only avoiding others from trying to control me
like the govt is doing with its regulations that never stop growing

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 8:45:53 PM PST

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 8:52:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 3:43:14 PM PST
Horse, The book of Revelations certainly delves into the imagery of "the whore of Babylon" but does not identify who that imagery is directed towards.

That's how you are able to adapt it to your belief structure.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 9:07:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2012 9:08:34 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Horse, rigidly believing your own interpretation of the Bible makes you a fundamentalist, yes.

You may not be aware that nowhere in the Bible is the Catholic Church ever referred to as the "whore of Babylon". But then it seems that facts don't really deter you from your own fantasies.

Most scholars think that the writer of Apocalypse/Revelation, was talking about the Roman Empire, not in any way the Roman Catholic Church.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:41:41 AM PST
J. Kinsell says:
Nancy: Selective reading? It was my post and nowhere did I make any mention of The Whore of Babylon. Feeling guilty, perhaps?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:44:33 AM PST
J. Kinsell says:
Buck: So many people are changing my words by inserting Whore of Babylon into them. I never mentioned that. Plus, the Catholic Church didn't even come into being until being made the "official" church of the Roman Empire by Emperor Constantine during the Council of Nicea in 325 C.E. Don't attribute quotes to me that I never made.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:46:25 AM PST
J. Kinsell says:
What is a Fundie?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:50:04 AM PST
J. Kinsell says:
Do a little reading on Mithros and Mithraism. Start with December 25.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:53:02 AM PST
J. Kinsell says:
Just keep on admiring all those men in their fancy silk gowns, caps, pointed shoes, limousines and all the artwork in the Vatican. Feel all soft and fuzzy?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:56:29 AM PST
J. Kinsell says:
Why do all these people feel so good about spreading the word. Can't they have peace within themselves, or are they so broken they can't stand not having someone to share it with?

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 6:36:04 AM PST
AKAurora says:
There is a big difference between churches as institutions and the beliefs to which they purport to adhere. Institutions are still made up of people. They have all of the frailties that accompany being created and run by humans. My observation is that some individual churches, regardless of denomination, seem to do a better job than others. I participate in a local food bank that distributes food to those in need that's run by a fairly fundamentalist Christian denomination. I'm not Christian. But, I've stayed and participated now for six years because these people have proven themselves to be compassionate and caring. And, there is laughter galore. As I said, some do a better job than others.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 7:12:30 AM PST
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  127
Initial post:  Dec 25, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions