Bishop John Shelby Spong has offered a new kind of Christianity, stripped of the miracles and the dogmas, the theology of the past. He offers his own 12 theses, copied below, rejecting the fundamentalist, churchified orthodoxy, and presenting a new and hopefully more vibrant and relevant Christianity for today's world. What do you think about this?
Here are Bishop Spong's twelve theses:
1. Theism, as a way of defining God, is dead. So most theological God-talk is today meaningless. A new way to speak of God must be found.
2. Since God can no longer be conceived in theistic terms, it becomes nonsensical to seek to understand Jesus as the incarnation of the theistic deity. So the Christology of the ages is bankrupt.
3. The Biblical story of the perfect and finished creation from which human beings fell into sin is pre-Darwinian mythology and post-Darwinian nonsense.
4. The virgin birth, understood as literal biology, makes Christ's divinity, as traditionally understood, impossible.
5. The miracle stories of the New Testament can no longer be interpreted in a post-Newtonian world as supernatural events performed by an incarnate deity.
6. The view of the cross as the sacrifice for the sins of the world is a barbarian idea based on primitive concepts of God and must be dismissed.
7. Resurrection is an action of God. Jesus was raised into the meaning of God. It therefore cannot be a physical resuscitation occurring inside human history.
8. The story of the Ascension assumed a three-tiered universe and is therefore not capable of being translated into the concepts of a post-Copernican space age.
9. There is no external, objective, revealed standard written in scripture or on tablets of stone that will govern our ethical behavior for all time.
10.Prayer cannot be a request made to a theistic deity to act in human history in a particular way.
11. The hope for life after death must be separated forever from the behavior control mentality of reward and punishment. The Church must abandon, therefore, its reliance on guilt as a motivator of behavior.
12. All human beings bear God's image and must be respected for what each person is. Therefore, no external description of one's being, whether based on race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, can properly be used as the basis for either rejection or discrimination.
Recent discussions in the Religion forum
AnnouncementAmazon Discussions Feedback Forum
|1354||13 hours ago|
|If Jesus was Jewish, why don't Jews beleive in Jesus?||1832||3 minutes ago|
|Dear theists,||1510||4 minutes ago|
|Dear atheists,||9061||9 minutes ago|
|keep one change one started 10 October 2014||1479||9 minutes ago|
|Is homosexuality a 'good thing' ?||6400||24 minutes ago|
|American DarkSoul says: Yes I can prove atheism is true.||159||1 hour ago|
|The War on Wonen Continues Apace||8782||1 hour ago|
|goblue says: I can prove theism true.||797||2 hours ago|
|Another 10,000 Quotes...||3885||2 hours ago|
|What do the terms "almost atheist" and "almost theist" mean to you?||170||2 hours ago|
|Science II||4904||3 hours ago|