Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

More Bad News from Islam.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 1, 2013 8:20:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 8:27:31 AM PST
I just heard a report on the news that a mob in Egypt is on the hunt for a young lady who's "disappeared," last seen lurking near a Coptic Church -- apparently they want to lynch her for the "crime" of apostasy.

It's long since become Islam's dirty open secret that apostasy and blasphemy bring the death penalty under sharia, and that for this and other reasons Christians have faced persecution in Islam even over the last decade or so.

Question: why can't Christians get themselves organized enough to do something about all this? And why is it mostly skeptics, like Pat Condell, Ayaan Ali, or Hitchens who complain about this? Why is it that all we get for the trouble of standing up for the rights of people we disagree with is a stream of patronization and outright insults?

Why is it that all the "Christian" posters here care about are ID theory, Biblical scholarship they know nothing about, and whitewashing Ratzinger's sordid career?

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 11:17:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 11:17:55 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
Because an authoritarian mindset values protecting the in-group far more than standing up for freedom and equality for outsiders.

The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 8:40:21 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
Good book.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 9:36:52 PM PST
Re OP: "why can't Christians get themselves organized enough to do something about all this?" Tough to do when there are so many Muslims around. Actually, it should not be merely a task of Christians to oppose this: anyone who values intelligent thought should be doing so.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 11:26:20 PM PST
J. Potter says:
Since when is it a secret that fundamentalist religion (and other fundamentalist group identities) generally despises anyone consorting with the enemy, to the point of killing them? If you feel christians aren't as active on the topic as they should be--shouldn't we all be trying to get all of humanity past this type of barbarism?--perhaps it is because it hits to close to home, perhaps they would go looking for this enemy and find themselves?

Fundamentalist of all flavors have more in common with each other than with those who practice tolerance.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 8:59:45 AM PST
"Fundamentalists of all flavors..." I'll agree with that, but I doubt that most Christians can be called fundies in the strict sense, no matter how simpleminded their views. I doubt that little old church ladies, let alone Jesuit university professors, are the type to secretly crave orgies of public violence. Matter of fact, I suspect that if you were to put a gun to Sarah Palin's head and say "Now -- set a Jew on fire or I'll pull the trigger," she'd have to think a bit.

On the other hand, a recent Pew Foundation poll showed that 83% of the Muslims who live in Egypt really DO believe that apostates should be killed. They simply take this for granted! What would you think if the same number of church ladies and Jesuits saw nothing wrong with setting Jews on fire?

In any case, the Copts are a tiny minority, and never persecuted anyone, as far as I know. They're as far from tjhe Ted Haggard mentality as they can be.

I suspect that there are two reasons why Christians don't make more of an official rumpus. 1) They're afraid that things will get even WORSE! And they may be right. Remember what happened after Ratzinger's infamous lecture, in which he suggested that Muslims start practicing the peacefulness they preached? They showed their peacefulness by beating Greek Orthodox priests to death. 2) One of the nastier types of Islam is in Saudi Arabia, which supplies us with you-know-what.

Nevertheless, it seems to me that the churches will have to take an official stand on this, and come up with practical remedies, because it's becoming clearer and clearer that the next big human rights battle will be with Dar-al-Islam, and INSIDE it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Mar 1, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions