Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

20 children, many kindergarteners, were brutally murdered yesterday

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2012 12:18:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 5:58:10 AM PST
A Customer says:
And what was the first reaction of a bunch of the Religion forum atheists? While the bodies were still warm.

To gloat about it. And ask "where was your God?" And other trite and trivial remarks.

These same atheists will tell us that we do not have a soul, and in their own case I believe they are correct.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 4:38:59 PM PST
brunumb says:
Ah, the restraint you have shown in waiting a little longer before wading in is to be commended. And your sensitivity in referring to the bodies as 'still warm' is something to be admired. I like the way you refrained from actually quoting any of the "trite and trivial remarks" made by the gloating atheists lest their repetition cause any distress by the parents hanging on your every word. Keep up the good work. Your fight against the unholy will not be overlooked by he who sees all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:32:30 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 25, 2014 12:32:02 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:37:43 PM PST
Once you realize that he's not interested in respectful, productive conversation, he ceases to surprise.

My heart goes out to everyone involved in this tragedy. I hope that, in the coming months, we can learn things from this event such that actions can be taken which will make such an event less likely in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:38:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 10:29:55 PM PST
nameinuse says:
They waited about as long as Huckabee waited to declare this happened because God isnt welcome in public schools anymore. ....I noticed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:40:31 PM PST
What respect I had for Huckabee has evaporated into a cloud of disgust. His shameless attempt to capitalize on a tragedy demonstrates just what kind of man he is... one unfit to hold public office, IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:41:00 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:41:24 PM PST
brunumb says:
MMX: "You have to EITHER out-perform God by intervening, or STFU."

Until humans evolve to gain omnipotence, then it's not unreasonable to expect God to perform.

Good people do good things.
Evil people do evil things.
God does nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:41:47 PM PST
nameinuse says:
I think that statement is more or less a declaration that he never intends to run for any office again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:46:01 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:46:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 6:47:53 PM PST
" Is your position that the Atheists who declared, "Where is your god?" ARE interested in respectful, productive conversation? "

Nope. I think those comments are as tasteless and unproductive as you do.

Based on his past behavior, I put Macheath on "Ignore"... and every time I've taken a look at what he's posting, or see his words quoted, the correctness of my decision has been reinforced.

I, too, am against the "Where is your God comments"... but I'm not so juvenile as to declare "They have no soul", nor did I feel the need to start a discussion for no better reason than to rant about some posts I didn't like.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:50:22 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 25, 2014 12:32:03 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:59:18 PM PST
I'm a Christian and a counselor. I'm as shocked and saddened as anyone else about the news. The facts about the shooter are still few, but it seems he had longer standing mental health issues than was first reported.

I tell a lot of people that in emotional situations, the right answer is very often compassion in action. To that end, people of faith around the country are mobilizing help for the families and those who were involved in the recovery. I'm advising people to contact their Senators and Representatives to make headway in the way we treat people with mental illnesses. I can't guarantee that better mental health would have prevented the situation, but it would prove an intelligent step in the right direction, and reduce the risk of similar situations in the future.

So I'm recommending compassion in action. Contact your congressional representative (links below) and petition for better mental health services. (most of mental health services are paid for by tax dollars).

http://www.senate.gov

http://www.house.gov

Every time the Gospels use the word compassion with Jesus, it's immediately followed by action, such as this: "When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick." Matthew 14:14. To those of us who are people of faith, compassion in action seems a very good response in a time like this, following the examples of Jesus in the Gospels.

Others are free to do as they best see fit, of course. The survivors will make it to better days, but it's going to be an extremely difficult road for many if not all of them. Take action, be of humble service that it may benefit those in need. The focus is on their situation and needs, not on us at all.

Russ Conte

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:02:23 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 25, 2014 12:32:12 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:20:45 PM PST
brunumb says:
MMX: "Well....gee. If I expect you to perform, who is God, and who is servant? (Easy! I am God, and you are Servant.)
Similarly, if human beings expect God to perform, who is God, and who is servant? (The same logic applies.)"

So God can't intervene because it would make him feel like a servant. And since mere humans don't have the power to intervene, God prefers to let innocent people die.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:22:07 PM PST
Thanks, and I truly hope all people take action who are able to do so, independent of any demographic, religious, political or any other label. These people in Connecticut are hurting and can use our compassion. Even writing an email to Congress about mental health is doing something, hopefully people can do that much, and hopefully more.

Thanks again!

Russ Conte

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:24:34 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 25, 2014 12:32:12 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:29:03 PM PST
I have no good reason to believe that a deity or deities exist.

If a deity or deities *did* exist, I'd have no good reason to worship or obey such a being, nor would that being's commands or desires define my morality.

That said, many people have *beliefs* concerning the existence of this or that deity, and/or the significance of the desires / commands of those deities... and those beliefs motivate people's actions.

I'd like to think that we all want a better world, but disagree as to the details of what constitutes "better", or on what methods used to achieve that "better world" are effective / valid / acceptable.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:05:36 PM PST
brunumb says:
MMX: "Why was it GOOD that the Titanic sunk? .....
When [is it] BAD to prevent a war?"

When people starting rationalising that BAD things are actually GOOD, then you know that humanity has gone down the gurgler.

MMX: "Again, "Either out-perform God with your own solutions, or stop complaining." "

Humanity has consistently outperformed God with its solutions since there is absolutely no sign that God has ever done a single thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:12:45 PM PST
QUESTER says:
brunumb says:

MMX: "Why was it GOOD that the Titanic sunk? .....
When [is it] BAD to prevent a war?"

When people starting rationalising that BAD things are actually GOOD, then you know that humanity has gone down the gurgler.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Well ... someone has ...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:17:45 PM PST
Celsus says:
Macheath

>>And what was the first reaction or a bunch of the Religion forum atheists? While the bodies were still warm.

To gloat about it. And ask "where was your God?"<<

There's no gloating involved, and it seems a valid question. If in fact your god is all knowing, all loving and all powerful (as Christians often claim) then where was He? Why did he not intervene to save the children, many of whom were Christians? The Bible appears to have the answer. He was watching. He sees every bird fall from the sky and counts your every hair, according to the Bible, so he was a keen observer of those tragic and horrible events. But in his great love and wisdom, he elected to do nothing - except to observe.
Now, if you or I were in such a position and failed to act, we would be tried as criminals and probably spend time in prison. But when God does it (and he does it all the time) his followers rally to his defense. Which does seem pretty incomprehensible to us non-believers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:44:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 9:47:57 PM PST
A Customer says:
Mr Altarriba, all anyone who isn't a militant atheist has to do is read through the "Where was God today? Not in CT" thread to see how disgusting this situation is with atheists here gloating over a horrific crime. I am genuinely disgusted by many of the thngs I read there. If you had any courage you'd pipe in on that thread and scold your friends. But of course we both know you would never do something like that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:51:50 PM PST
nameinuse says:
You hold others to higher standards than you hold yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 10:07:51 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
No one is gloating. What an idiotic and untruthful thing to say. You really are shameful.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 10:09:09 PM PST
brunumb says:
Macheath: "...to see how disgusting this situation is with atheists here gloating over a horrific crime."

What is truly disgusting is how people like you will lie about and misrepresent the comments of others in order to vilify them. You are certainly no Christian, and a miserable specimen of the human race to boot.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions