Customer Discussions > Religion forum

How do we know we can trust the men who tell us what God wants?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 216 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 5:36:16 PM PST
Ponger says:
This includes the men who wrote the Holy books.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:45:27 PM PST
We can't. You should never trust anybody who tries to tell you what God wants - they are not God & are subject to making mistakes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:09:05 PM PST
Ponger says:
Why would they do that!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:10:07 PM PST
Why would they do what?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:37:20 PM PST
IFeelFree says:
P: Why would they do that!

IFF: Who cares what their motives might have been? I won't accept that which I can't verify myself. At most, I might accept something provisionally, especially if it's something trivial. However, the fundamental questions about existence, God, self, etc., must be investigated directly via one's own personal experience. If God is a person, where is he? I won't take it on others' testimony that he exists. God, as a person, appears to be a fiction created by religion. God is not a person. If God exists, it must be yourself, your essence, your spirit, your consciousness.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:38:32 PM PST
you cant
so you need to verify what they say
look at the evidence and then decide

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:53:50 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Ponger, you can't trust that anyone knows what "God" wants. Especially not when they try to convince you that "God" wrote or inspired their particular "holy book".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:06:03 PM PST
Yeah, it could actually be written by Satan, trying to trick all the good people into believing that God wrote it.

I have a friend that introduced me into thinking about this. Wouldn't that be surprise to a great many people when they die?! LOL!

Not even that it wasn't written by God, but that evil wrote it. Gets my funny bone going every time.

I mean, if you are a God, you create these creatures that are vulnerable, would you write a book that other people could change or would you make each person born with an innate ability to know which path that they are supposed to follow in this life?

And maybe since each person is different, they are supposed to follow different paths? Paths that lead us all to the same place?

Just some thoughts. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:01:10 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Kessa, as far as I can see, the various books that were finally brought together in what is called the "Bible" were written by a rather large number of human beings, over a very long period of time. No "satan", no "god", just people, trying to get their points across and promote their individual agendas. Nothing "holy" about it.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:20:03 PM PST
Astrocat says:
As far as the men who tell us what "God" wants, just go back to Augustine and you'll see how he has manipulated Christians since the 4th century CE. I wouldn't trust anything he wrote, and that includes the very worst, the most terrible sin of all, his twisting of the Genesis story to create, out of whole cloth, the doctrine of "original sin." What a horrible, horrible burden to place on Christians, and one for which I sincerely hope he has paid a requisite amount of karma.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:36:20 PM PST
Well yeah, but it's funnier if it was written... LOL! =)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:38:07 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Okay, I guess I'm not getting the joke. Can you explain?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:45:12 PM PST
Not a joke, but just something that I find amusing.

You know all the people that believe God wrote the Bible? And how this is wrong & that is wrong? Same-sex marriage, gays, etc., etc., etc.?

Well, it seems to me that only someone with evil intentions would write those sorts of things - and let's not forget about the stoning a child who disobeys his parents or a woman who does not scream when raped, should be stoned to death.

But many Christians say things like "you're going to .... for..."

I think it would be funny if those people were duped into believing that God wrote the Bible, when it was Satan that wrote it.

Of course, I do have a warped sense of humor & I do not believe in the Christian God or in the devil, but I still think it's funny.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:49:44 PM PST
Ariex says:
andthehorseirodeinontoo? says: "you cant
so you need to verify what they say
look at the evidence and then decide "

Ariex: But look at the evidence itself, not what religious or spiritual leaders tell you to see in that evidence. For example, life is evidence of LIFE, nothing more. The perceived order in the universe is temporary order within an overall chaotic structure, not evidence of an ordering agent. Don't make the mistake of reading into the evidence what you want to find.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:57:11 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:11:04 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Okay, now I get it. In a sense I think they are duping themselves, since it obviously was not any god or devil who wrote it, but human men (probably) writing with ancient implements and on ancient surfaces.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 11:13:37 PM PST
J. Russell says:
Ponger says:
Why would they do that!

My Response
Why say that some god says that what they say is true? Really?
To say that it is not your opinion but the opinion of all powerful, all knowing god is the ultimate conversation for a believer. All the better if the believer has no say of independently verifying it, because hay this god gave you the exclusive.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 11:28:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 11:30:40 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 12:02:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 1:09:13 AM PST
Definitely - the Monks that did the translations admitted to many translation mistakes, but even before that, many men wrote/rewrote...

They are definitely duping themselves.

When I think about my "idea" it usually is when somebody argues that such & such is the truth, because it is in the Bible - like there needs to be no other proof.

Edited for typo's.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 12:54:16 AM PST
Astrocat says:
Yuletide, I had an interesting experience years ago. A man from a sect that believes everything written in the Bible is literally true came to my door. I said, right away, that I'd be glad to talk to him but that I didn't accept the Bible as any kind of authority, and that he wouldn't be able to prove anything by quoting it to me. He blinked, then flipped through his book and found what he was looking for, then turned the Bible to me and said, "But look, see what it says here...." I don't think he had the slightest idea of the irony....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:06:32 AM PST
Ponger says:
Horse,
But if the universe is so amazing that it could not have happened by itself, doesn't that line of thought apply to God also? And where does that lead us?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:07:20 AM PST
Ponger says:
He doesn't know.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:12:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 1:15:36 AM PST
Yes, that is just what I meant! They really don't get it.

My Mom is an Evangelist (they believe that the Bible was written & it should be taken literally). I think she is the reason that I questioned so much as a child & then realized that I need more than faith to get me to believe in somebody who see's all & knows all - that always reminds me of the song with Santa Claus seeing you when you're sleeping, knowing when you're awake... LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:22:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 1:23:10 AM PST
Astrocat says:
It's such an ingrained belief, Yuletide, that its adherents are the ones who seem to be sleeping, dreaming of something that doesn't exist, and they simply don't want to wake up, because the dream is so mesmerizing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:42:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 1:43:26 AM PST
It is ingrained, most of the time, since birth.

I'm one of the lucky ones - I question everything. LOL!

I kinda feel bad for people that believe something only becomes they have been programmed to believe it.

ETA: I think I'll change my name with Kessa at the beginning & not the end - I think if people call me Yuletide, then it could get a bit confusing. =)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  216
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions