Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Are you illiterate?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 247 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2012 8:03:59 AM PDT
jpl says:
Everyone makes typos at least occasionally, even we who know the language, but why do I see so many Amazon posts that are written by people who can't write, and therefore can't speak, the language properly?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:08:12 AM PDT
R ewe ?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:30:39 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:49:39 AM PDT
tokolosi says:
I had my mom read this to me and type this response. I told her to say I'm not illiterate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:38:03 AM PDT
Horse's patoot says that correct spelling an usage is:
"not worth the time to fix typos or endless edit and polish text"

Has it ever occurred to you that attempting to use and spell the language correctly is a way to be courteous to your readers? The way you write demonstrates your contempt for the readers. Not to mention arrogance. But if that's the way you want to portray yourself, then people will continue to not take you seriously.

Given the wealth of cringe-inducing errors in your posts, it's a good thing for you that Amazon doesn't have spelling and grammar nannies as well as their sense-of-propriety censors.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:46:35 AM PDT
Astrocat says:
jpl, as a very old person who was taught that spelling and grammar are next to godliness (even before the proverbial cleanliness!!), I understand your angst and share it. I've found that when I correct people's grammar/spelling on line they tend to get a bit grumpy and strike out, not, I suppose, wanting to be reminded of their ignorance or carelessness or whatever.

Still, as one who does, on occasion, make a mistake or two........I find it's better not to throw too many stones, because my windows are as breakable as the next person's.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 11:21:38 AM PDT
Lessfatman says:
I am an alien
my excuz

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 2:34:40 PM PDT
Alan says:
But do you know how to use the subjunctive correctly?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 2:35:53 PM PDT
spanish use the subjunctive regularly
its americans that have problems with it

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 2:45:09 PM PDT
Alan says:
As does Italian, if only it were so in English.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 2:49:38 PM PDT
indeed

and every pop song would say if only it was so
which speaks to american education or lack thereof

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 2:52:35 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
That's funny, Alan, because I didn't even know what the subjunctive was until I learned Spanish. They use all the tenses, and I learned more about English from learning that language than I ever did in high school.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 2:53:55 PM PDT
absolutely

english dept never taught krapp about useful grammar
i learned it all in spanish class

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 2:55:20 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
Horse, I assume you're being facetious.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 2:56:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 2:57:55 PM PDT
Alan says:
Nancy Davison,

I think this is not an unusual experience for native English speakers. However, it is important that the subjunctive be understood.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 3:00:14 PM PDT
no

all our english classes did was read 'literature' and do some oddball topics

i learned grammar in my spanish class

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 3:18:51 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
Oh yes. Especially in such songs as "if I were a rich man...." :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 3:19:20 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
And yet you don't seem to think it's worthwhile using it in your posts. Curious.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 4:28:07 PM PDT
I agree, Nancy. I learned about all of those tenses when I took Latin and French in high school. Those languages make so much more sense than English.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 4:39:50 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
Well, the thing is, English is an opportunistic language. We've borrowed from just about every language from every culture we've ever come into contact with. There is one marvelous poem song written back in the days when we were transitioning from Saxon to Latin to French (and eventually came up with English), that uses all three languages in its stanzas. I can't remember the name of the poem, but will keep trying to find it, just for my my own satisfaction.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 6:34:26 PM PDT
The English language is a problem for genitive speakers and second language learners alike. Part of the problem is the spelling of the language that is difficult due to our so-called "changing vowel sounds". Even scholars cannot really agree in exactly how many vowel sounds their are in English. The number varies from 15 to some 26 or 26 sounds. The whole spelling thing is a nightmare. One proof of this is our use of the "spelling bee". There are no spelling bees in most other languages. Spanish for example is an unchanging vowel system so the spelling of the language is much easier. The few problems that exist are minimal such as the V and B sounds or double L and Y or C and S in the Spanish language in Spain. The same goes for all of the other Romance languages for the most part. French can present a few more problems but nothing like English.

Our grammar is also more problematic since we have mixed the Latin and the Germanic grammars that often work in opposition to each other and we have two different forms to say what other languages say in one like the use of the Latin genitive vs the Saxon genitive. The rules of usage are a bit dicey and and there are often as many exceptions to the rules as there are rules.

Another thing is that many languages have a watch-dog group like the Spanish Academy of Language or the French that revises the language every so many years. I don't think there has ever been a real coordinated attempt to revise or reform the English language.

Someone mentioned the borrowing that takes place in English. This is common in most languages like Spanish which is a Latin or Romance language yet some 40% of its vocabulary is from Arabic however no grammatical structures or syntactic forms are borrowed and in English they are.

An interesting work for the layman on the language is Mario Pei's "The Story of English" which makes a fascinating read.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 6:42:59 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
Thomas, The Great Vowel Shift, that took place from the middle 14th century and on two or three hundred years, is the reason English is one of the only "European" languages that doesn't have the same vowel pronunciation. I rather like it, it shows that we're not sheep when it comes to language.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 6:50:26 PM PDT
J. Russell says:
Huked on Fonics Werkt Fer ME!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 7:38:38 PM PDT
Nancy - thanks I didn't know what it was called. One point though, I don't know how much of our language is due to individualism or simply environment. The different peoples conquering the British Isles probably has more effect on the originality of the English language than any conscious effort to be different. Just my opinion on the subject.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 7:55:41 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  247
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions