Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now DOTD
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

The Wonderful Message of Humoristianity

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 8:39:06 PM PST
Ludeteros Ludos says:
The religion of the Humoristians has developed to be, and perhaps always was, basically Socratic. Modern Humoristians often cite the famous saying "Where Jesus never laughed, Socrates never cried." Its members are all also accomplished dialecticians in the manner of the old Greek; visit the museums which contain the original documents of the religion, called "forum threads" and you will dialogues to rival those of Leibniz and Locke.

While the Humoristian religion does not specifically exclude Christians, many find its attitude to be fundamentally counter to the seriousness of their faith. What is most remarkable about the Humoristians, however, is that after some centuries of their predominance in North America and Europe, very little laughter remains in their ceremonies, held at comedy clubs all over the country. This is not to say that their services are not funny and hugely entertaining, only that the humor has become increasingly dry, eliciting wry looks and chuckles more often then ecstatic laughter. Some have speculated that there is a more significant relationship between the "religion of weeping" and the "religion of laughter" then was previously thought. Regardless, many suggest the Humoristians represent perhaps the greatest philosophical experiment in the history of man kind, owing to their rapid expansion as a church, and to their tendency not to commit quite as many atrocities as the other ideologies of history.
_____
At the founding of the church on August 20, 2007, these 5 tenets were provided for the one true fallacious faith:
1) You must be able to laugh at yourself.
2) You must be able to recognize how ludicrous your beliefs might appear to others.
3) You must want nothing but good for everyone, everywhere in the universe. (Editor's note: Don't let this one scare you. None of us is quite there, yet.)
4) You must have a natural aversion to meetings, committees, and scheduled events (as we will be having none of those).
5) You must enjoy the humor of Monty Python, the Marx Bros., Lucille Ball, Jon Stewart, Steven Colbert, and Tom Lehrer, (if you're a Jerry Lewis kind of guy, you might want to think about starting your own religion - although we wish you nothing but good)
http://www.amazon.com/forum/religion/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1M9TK6UGAX6EO&cdThread=TxDOTNV3B2K3ZF

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:50:55 PM PST
Eric Pyle says:
This cat does not approve of your message.

http://cheezburger.com/6751557376

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:53:10 PM PST
Ohmygawd, Eric! Where did you find this cat face?!! Hahhahhahahhahar! It's absolutely perfect! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:55:00 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Oh, dear, and I was doing pretty well with all these "musts" until I got to #5. Jon Stewart and Tom Lehrer, oh yeah, but Monty Python, the Marx Brothers, nah, can't go there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:20:10 PM PST
Sister Nancy, the additions of Monty Python and the Marx Bros were first "suggested" by James Longmire, co-founder of the one true fallacious faith, and Grand Inquisitor, His Most Merrily Madcap Ribald Reverend. After he suggested them, though, I was embarrassed I hadn't thought of 'em!!! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:03:50 PM PST
socratic method is a total failure

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 7:22:49 AM PST
Lufer says:
Holy crap, I think I might have been a Humoristian all along without knowing it.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 9:01:12 AM PST
Well, look- there's horse, making another assertion which he supports amply with additional information and facts, and stated in flowing prose and flawless grammar.

Saidnobodyever.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:09:06 AM PST
'probabilist says:
Eric Pyle wrote:

> This cat does not approve of your message.
> http://cheezburger.com/6751557376

Heh. What a sourpuss.

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 5:40:03 PM PDT
'probabilist says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2013 5:57:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2013 5:59:01 PM PDT
Beherit says:
Can I Join the Humoristan Church? Do you accept agnostic /deists?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2013 6:19:56 PM PDT
Whereas I have to exempt myself due to the Marx Bros. and Lucille Ball.

Ni!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2014 6:11:13 PM PDT
'probabilist says:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2014 6:20:43 PM PDT
Beherit - most of the founding members of Humoristianity were atheists/agnostics. Go figure. :)

(Hi, Prob!)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2014 6:22:15 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
,.-)

Posted on Apr 26, 2014 6:23:42 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
http://themetapicture.com/a-supervillain-is-born/

Posted on Apr 26, 2014 6:24:58 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
http://themetapicture.com/inbread-cat/

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2014 8:22:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2014 8:27:37 PM PDT
tokolosi says:
Yep -- them girls do have an evil glint in their eyes.

Oh wait, there's that kid in the background. Seems like a decent sort...

Posted on Apr 26, 2014 8:27:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2014 8:28:04 PM PDT
tokolosi says:
Humoristianity?

I think an undermining counterinsurgency jihad from adherents of both breakaway factions Humoristinanity and Humoristinsanity is in order.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2014 9:10:06 PM PDT
Monty Python, the Marx Brothers, nah, can't go there. //// You're missing a lot.

Personally, I don't love Lucy. For my money the great funny lady of 50s TV is Gracie Allen.

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 4:43:22 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1525 10 days ago
Who, or what, is God? 2386 10 minutes ago
Linguistic Confusion--and a seriously proposed fix 56 36 minutes ago
Fear of Death 1176 44 minutes ago
Science predicts a supreme being 1935 48 minutes ago
Adam, Eve, Serpent 100 51 minutes ago
Thiest, Atheist, and... 2443 51 minutes ago
What is spirituality? 29 1 hour ago
How can you prove that life is not an illusion/dream 287 1 hour ago
Doc's holistic Sunday School 245 1 hour ago
How does free-will and the Omniscience of a deity (GOD), actually work? 824 3 hours ago
Is this how religions start? 216 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 9, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions