Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Thoughts on December 21st?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 223 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 6:42:01 AM PST
Five years ago, on this discussion forum, I learned for the first time about the belief that the world will end on December 21st. Someone asked "What will happen in 2012?"

I gave the question some thought, and then answered, "Seriously then? I think mankind is at a crossroads here. We can choose which direction we want to head - towards an Apocalypse (which I swear some people actually seem to be praying for) or away from one. My dad was talking with some friends, once - great, cynical old farts - and one of them said something like, `The meek will inherit the earth - sure - because nobody else will want it by the time everybody else is done with it.' I thought that was funny, and really, really sad, too. I think we're at a place in our history where mankind has to learn some lessons, and learn them really fast. The first thing we have to learn is to be kind to our environment. But we need to learn to be kind to each other, too - no matter what beliefs or non-beliefs we each have. We've got to give up that whole `eye for an eye' mentality - learn forgiveness, and generosity. I have hope for us. I think there's a movement of good in the world. I believe Good (Love, Truth) will win in the end."

I think the world manifests what's going on in the collective "thought" of mankind. I believe a lack of appreciation for God's beautiful creation - choosing an accumulation of material "Things" (money and personal possessions) over the expressions of Spirit (the beauty of a clean and healthy environment) is causing mankind some problems.And I believe if mankind is full of fear - if people come to expect doom in our future - then doom might be what they see manifested.

A friend of mine was telling me about this book - The Hundredth Monkey - that talks about how this group of monkeys started doing something different in their community and - without ever going to another monkey community - other monkeys in other communities started doing the same thing. It was like the idea, or the thought, was contagious - even without any physical connection between these animals. Anyway, I think thoughts can be contagious - and I think good thoughts can be contagious, too - and if mankind comes to expect good, good will happen.

I believe that if we really want to help our world, we need to stop living in fear. Stop being afraid of each other. Stop being afraid of what the future holds for us. We need to fill our mental atmosphere with love, joy, and hope - with heaven. In the book of Luke in the Bible, we read: "And when he (Jesus) was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you." And in II Corinthians, Paul says: "...behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation."

I don't think the world has to end, or we have to die, to experience heaven and salvation. Jesus said the kingdom of God is within us - in our thoughts. If our thoughts are full of hope, joy, and love we're in heaven right now. Likewise, if our thoughts are full of hate, fear, and anger we're experiencing hell right here, and right now. In Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, Mary Baker Eddy has this to say about "Heaven": "Heaven is not a locality, but a divine state of Mind..." and she defines "Heaven" as "Harmony; the reign of Spirit; government by divine Principle'; spirituality; bliss; the atmosphere of Soul."

What does our future hold? Good. Our future holds Good. Nothing can destroy Love or Truth - God - we will always have Good in our future. Count on it.

Buck up, my friends! It is our duty - maybe the greatest thing we can do for our world - to stop being afraid. We need to be alert, yes. We need to be aware and we need to be wise. And we really need to stop being afraid.

Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. - Isaiah 41: 9-11

"Christian scientific practice begins with Christ's keynote of harmony, `Be not afraid!'" - from Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy

http://madcapchristianscientist.com/2012/12/18/what-will-happen-on-december-21st/

(And here's the link to the Hundredth Monkey: The Hundredth Monkey )

Care to share your thoughts about it all? :)

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:14:03 AM PST
nonsense

belongs in the scifi forum

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:40:17 AM PST
Is it your goal to have everyone in the world know that you're obnoxious?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:41:33 AM PST
Jennifer51 says:
Excellent opening post.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:46:02 AM PST
Astrocat says:
Karen, on December 21st (tomorrow), the Sun will appear to be standing still and will not begin to more north again until December 25th. For those of us in the northern hemisphere, the light will slowly return, gaining and then waning (moving south) after the Summer Solstice in June.

As far as how people will treat each other, I'm sure this December 21st will be a little more hopeful in that respect than December 21st of 2011, because even though it may not seem like it, Humanity is slowly, oh, ever so slowly, waking up to the fact that we are One People living on One Planet. We'll still fall back into our dreams/nightmares of separateness, but from time to time we'll awaken, each time just a bit more, until we'll finally slough off the old fears and hatreds and learn to live together in that true peace and harmony that Mary Baker Eddy previsioned.

So, welcome to the Aquarian Age. We have over two full millennia and change before the Age of Capricorn. Let's make the best of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 2:36:31 PM PST
Thank you. I rather liked it, too... :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 2:36:50 PM PST
I love your writing, Nancy. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 3:09:03 PM PST
RE: Thoughts on December 21st?

A day like any other except that bars might be a little busier than otherwise for happy hour.....it is, after all, a Friday, and some people will take any reason they can find to party a little. It will be mostly cold, or cool, above the Tropic of Cancer and warm or hot below the Tropic of Capricorn......but it's generally like that on every Dec. 21.

In the Yucatan there's been an increase in tourism; it's a good time for those who produce those Mayan calendars that they sell all over Mexico at tourist sites. Survivalist types are boosting certain segments of the economy in a lot of places. People are profiting from others' naivete, so I suppose that some business people who've never once before given a thought to Mayans should be thankful for their prediction. Sometimes dumb luck plays a part.

And all over the world, people who believe in this stuff will look like fools.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 3:11:33 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Karen, you're welcome. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 3:35:53 PM PST
21 december

winter solstice
4 days to xmas
cold and drizzle on the east coast

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 3:54:17 PM PST
I'll comment on this subject on Saturday.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:18:06 PM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:21:56 PM PST
nameinuse says:
NPR said it's just the day the Mayan Calendar resets to zero.....whatever.....at my middling advanced age I reckon I've live through at least thirty or more apocalyptic predictions just fine. Someday one of them will be right....but odds are not in my lifetime.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:27:32 PM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
Alpha Wingoov Karen says:

[(And here's the link to the Hundredth Monkey: The Hundredth Monkey )]

It sounds like that book tries to tie the subjects of nuclear weapons and flying saucers together.

You may find the following book interesting: Ufo...Contact from Planet Iarga

That book, if you believe it, contains information that was provided by beings from another planet called Iarga which is 14 light years from Earth. It's not about alien abductions or things like that. That book answers questions that philosophers have wondered about for thousands of years.

They said there's like a confederacy of advanced races that monitor our planet Earth at all times. They have a policy of non interference but they might intervene if start approaching something like a nuclear holocaust. Perhaps they already have who knows.

The Iargans don't know how we can sleep at night with our nuclear arsenals. With the pressing of a few buttons we could experience something that the human mind cannot even begin to imagine.

There are strange statements in the Hindu myths which seem to describe the use of atomic weapons in the very distant past on planet Earth. The gods lived in metallic cities in the sky. One day they fired flaming arrows that exploded with the brightness of a thousand suns. All the horses were burned and people's skin was all blistered and their hair and fingernails started falling out. Then a deadly silence fell over the whole world.

The mysterious alchemist Fulcanelli confirmed that yes this legend is true.

Jeff Marzano

Fulcanelli: Master Alchemist: Le Mystere des Cathedrales, Esoteric Intrepretation of the Hermetic Symbols of The Great Work

Biohazard: The Chilling True Story of the Largest Covert Biological Weapons Program in the World--Told from Inside by the Man Who Ran It

Top Secret/Majic: Operation Majestic-12 and the United States Government's UFO Cover-up

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:31:25 PM PST
A. Caplan says:
nameinuse says: Someday one of them will be right....but odds are not in my lifetime.
>It'll be in a few billion years.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:36:23 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:10:19 PM PST
Oh! I never actually said what I think will happen on December 21st, did I?
I think it'll be pretty much like every other day - good things will happen, and challenging things will happen, and people will be born and people will die, and the next day the days will start getting longer in the northern hemisphere, and it'll be only four days from Les Miserables!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:11:34 PM PST
Good answer, Steve. :)
We look forward to hearing from you then.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:12:29 PM PST
There you go! Thank you, horse.
Cold and drizzle on the west coast, too, probably.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:14:56 PM PST
nameinuse - yeah, when you've been around long enough, you begin to realize that things really always DO get better... all those platitudes? Those are true. You WILL reach the light at the end of the tunnel. Every cloud DOES have a silver lining. The sun WILL come out tomorrow. You ARE loved, precious, deserving of grace, learning, progressing, "getting better and better every day" (I'm pretty sure Mr. Rogers used to say that - and Mr. Rogers rocks!).

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:47:18 PM PST
Island Girl says:
I can't find a link, but have you guys seen the 7 Day Forecast showing a high on Friday of 1250 degrees and a low of 1147? Nothing is expected on Saturday.

(Wingy, as always, nice OP!)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:21:31 PM PST
I LOVE that link! It came through Facebook the other day - I've got it pasted to my page... I'll go see if I can find it. Cracks me up every time I look at it. There's another good one that just came through, too - it shows these two Mayans - one of them asks the other one, who's busy drawing something - if he wants to go get a tequila. And the one who's drawing says: "I'm working on this calendar. But I guess if I don't finish it, it won't be the end of the world."

And thanks, Iggy. I miss you. I come back here just to see you, you know. :) Well. And to see a few others, also. And to spout off nonsense.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:21:36 PM PST
sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a train coming your way

but the world will not end on 21 dec 2012

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:23:54 PM PST
Here's the link to the "weather forecast" - but I have a feeling you won't be able to connect to it unless you're on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=524812247553727&set=a.480395975328688.115466.480392341995718&type=1&theater

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:23:15 PM PST
"On the rim of the world, She is dancing.
In Her bright robe, She is dancing.
Young and lovely, She is dancing.
Bringer of vision, She is dancing.
Dance, Sun Maiden, into the sky,
Bringing the day to those who wait for you."

A Blessed Yule to all!
And a safe Yule for those of us about to get whacked with a blizzard.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  223
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions