Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Don't you ever get tired of living in a fantasy?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 1, 2012 8:28:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 1:27:16 PM PDT
Jack Vix says:
You have to constantly tell yourself there's hope and maintain your "faith" and "believe" in God. The only reason you say these things is because life is pain, and they're so clearly an expression of your pain in an attempt to escape feeling. Your hope is an expression of your hopelessness, to lighten the load, FEEL the load, that's what you actually feel. This takes HONEST introspection. You feel turmoil DEEP down that you're running from and you know there's no solution and you know there's no God, you're alone. We're alone. Just stop kidding yourself for once and accept your real feelings. There's no happy ending, religion is a distraction until you die. Time doesn't solve anything, be here now. Quit running from your pain. Shoving your feelings down deep isn't coming to terms, it's not how to express yourself honestly.

"Oh but this senario sounds nicer doesn't it? Wouldn't you rather there be a Heaven? Why would you not want to believe what feels good? It feels so much nicer to think that."
BECAUSE THE TRUTH DOESN"T CARE

Don't you ever get sick of pretending everything's alright? Don't you get tired of pretending fates cruel hand is the loving grasp of God? It's so patently fake and childish. Running like a lost child and hiding. Stop fooling yourself, no one buys it deep down.

Your religion is a TOY you're distracting yourself with until you're DEAD. Grow up. Is it best to live a LIE, running from your feelings?

Feel. Wake up.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 12:54:55 PM PDT
* says:
I get tired of you taking it out on the rest of us because you are still embarrassed about the things you used to believe. Your all or nothing mentality just doesn't cut it. There is such a thing as progressive religion, deal with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:00:34 PM PDT
Stan Furman says:
To Jack Vix:

<<You're religion is a TOY>>

*Your* NOT *You're*.

Congratulations Jack, you figured that in life you do nothing but keep yourself entertained while waiting to die... Good for you. Looks like it gave you a nasty case of depression, but you'll recover... maybe. Have fun.
:)))

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:25:51 PM PDT
Jack Vix says:
Denial is the easiest defense. I was never even embarrased by my religious youth. This isn't an emotional attack, I'm not angry, I'm not taking anything out on you. That's just you deflecting my point and attempting to rationalize your wish-thinking mind.

Your reaction shows my point, you can't accept something said critical without calling it "mean", that's a no-no because it gave you a boo-boo. I'm not trying to hurt you just because I talk about things you don't feel good thinking. Those feelings are my entire point, avoiding pain by believing obvious lies.

I'm inviting you to feel, think, and accept. If you don't like it fine, run along. One day you'll get sick of thinking everything's OK... or you won't and then you'll die distracted playing with your toys, I don't have anything more to deal with than you do.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:28:27 PM PDT
Jack Vix says:
You couldn't be more transparent Stan. (smiley smiley smiley)

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 1:38:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 1:39:00 PM PDT
DRM says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 1:43:27 PM PDT
Rothery says:
One proud atheist in another forum proclaimed: "I only believe in things that can be measured."

That was hours ago and I'm still chuckling.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:56:23 PM PDT
Joe W says:
Rothery: One proud atheist in another forum proclaimed: "I only believe in things that can be measured."

Joe: I did a search on that sentence that you allege to be quoting, and found it to be associated only with you. Do you have a link to the post, or does your "one proud atheist" exist only inside of the confines of your brain?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:07:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 2:07:55 PM PDT
Jack Vix says:
That's almost as silly of a strawman as the troll above you has.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:07:38 PM PDT
Rothery says:
Sighhh....

You can find it at Experts Exchange, it's mostly for computer programming, but there's a philosophy forum there. But you have to pay to be a member.

Sorry I made you waste your time like that, but then again, that's usually what happens in these discussions.

Regardless, you know darn well that at least _some_ atheists express themselves that way, and it's comical. Of course you'll tell me that that person isn't a true atheist and he/she doesn't speak for all, etc., etc. Yes I know, I've heard that before, too. From both sides.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:10:53 PM PDT
Jack Vix says:
Theism and atheism are not sides of a coin. Atheism is the lack of theism.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:15:38 PM PDT
Rothery says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:26:16 PM PDT
Joe W says:
Rothery: You can find it at Experts Exchange, it's mostly for computer programming, but there's a philosophy forum there. But you have to pay to be a member.

Sorry I made you waste your time like that, but then again, that's usually what happens in these discussions.

Joe: That's not a problem. I am on the Expert's Exchange. Software development is my profession. I did a search on your quote, and didn't find the reference. Can you give me a link?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:37:52 PM PDT
Stan Furman says:
To Jack Vix:

<<You couldn't be more transparent Stan.>>

I honestly have no idea what you mean by that. I expressed in one sentence the sentiment you've been writing about here for a while now. So what that there isn't a big meaning to anything? We are born, we entertain ourselves and then we die. Some people entertain themselves by thinking up gods or some such, others are entertained by denying the stories the first ones tell themselves. Do you think that your story is better than any other? It isn't. It is still just a story you tell to entertain yourself while waiting to die. Your story isn't any closer to Truth since there isn't any "Truth" (capital T) to begin with. Yours is yet another story of a little*, sad** man depressed because he doesn't like the stories others tell themselves and is incapable of coming up with anything better.

Poor little Jack :)))

*little - you may not be little
**sad - you may not be sad
:)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:38:24 PM PDT
Rothery - "I only believe in things that can be measured."

If I had to guess, I'd say that you owe your chuckling to a misunderstanding, having taken the statement a bit too literally. Conventionally when people say stuff like that they don't mean love, hope, beauty, and other stuff that exists in our mind. They mean things or forces 'out there' in the world, and that what they 'believe' in in that context is limited to what has corporeal existence, or is a physical relationship between things that do--such as magnetic fields or whatnot.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 2:40:38 PM PDT
JagdTiger says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:42:10 PM PDT
Rothery says:
Oh, literally, like when people read Genesis in the Bible. Right, I get it now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:48:42 PM PDT
Joe W says:
If I had a bull, I would dump my BS on my own garden. Especially the tomatoes. But I would happily give you a wheelbarrow full if you asked.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:51:09 PM PDT
Rothery says:
Well Joe, if you really do have a subscription, then you can find it, unless you don't know how. It's a long thread about the God particle. Here's an excerpt:

=========================================
by: Jason210Posted on 2012-07-05 at 11:38:32ID: 38157039

I wasn't putting words into your mouth - just pointing out a contradiction in your argument - which is a normal thing to do in discussions like this, otherwise how can a constructive discussion proceed?

You say:

I only believe in things that can be measured...

then in next paragraph:

Basically, I don't accept your premise or your questions. To believe in a truth is to stop thinking about it. I think that's called religion. Another way to put it is that I don't believe in ultimate answers beyond which we can not go.
==================================================

Sorry if you were really intent on unmasking me as a liar, a non-atheist liar, you could have used that as ammunition in your next thread. Oh well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:53:28 PM PDT
Rothery says:
"Do you atheists ever get tired of coming to the religion forums and dumping your bs on them?. "

Er... obviously not. Seagate Inc. has made a fortune selling network storage to Amazon to hold all the atheist vs. believers posts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 3:00:14 PM PDT
JagdTiger says:
No thanks,i have me own...lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 3:02:56 PM PDT
JagdTiger says:
Should we buy stock in Seagate Inc then?.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 3:35:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 3:45:38 PM PDT
Jack Vix says:
So what? Honesty, feeling, and accepting - that's what. I don't care if you don't care about those things. Argumentum ad absurdum, I never said nothing means anything.

You desperately want to see me as a depressed angsty teenager so you can dismiss everything I've said in one fell swoop, and not have to actually consider it. I'm not depressed in the slightest, I'm alive.

I don't know what "story" I have(if you mean what I distract myself with then you're missing the point, I'm aware they're distractions), and how you built up a strawman where I have a "better" one. It's not about what's better, it's about what's true. Obviously, being disillusioned I know there is no Truth, I never implied so. People will continue dreaming their Truth in their deep sleep and ignore what I said, and that's what they will do. You're simplistic view is right in that they will just do what they do, but that's not a point, or there would be no reason for you to say anything to anyone.

I still don't know if you're a troll or not with your consistent "no you!" and all your logical fallacies. The added smilies seem to suggest so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 3:42:36 PM PDT
Jack Vix says:
No. I don't have Belief System. I'm showing them their BS.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 4:13:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 4:15:24 PM PDT
Joe W says:
Rothery: Sorry if you were really intent on unmasking me as a liar, a non-atheist liar, you could have used that as ammunition in your next thread. Oh well.

Joe: No need to be sorry. The fact that you used a secondary and truncated quote does not speak well for your being particularly forthright. It is also unclear to me whether Dave, the source of your quote, is an atheist. In either case, it seems to me that he is using 'believe' in the sense of acceptance of claims based upon evidence, as he goes on to use 'faith' as his regard of God - obviously making a differentiation between the two terms.

==============================================
by: DaveBaldwinPosted on 2012-07-04 at 15:40:06ID: 38153934

I only believe in things that can be measured... but I have faith that God, if he is around, doesn't need a place to fit into. Many times in history we have reached points where someone has declared that we have reached our limits, that we could go no further. So far that has never been true.

==============================================
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Nov 1, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions