Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Failure to breed; is it 'irresponsible and selfish' to not have kids?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 3:31:00 AM PST
Bubba says:
LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:31:11 PM PST
Astrin Ymris says:
Bubba,

Menstrual synchrony. ;-D

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 1:56:18 PM PST
Bubba says:
LOL, Yup. Although I love eggnog, I think I'll pass on the eggnog with egg shells floating in it. I wonder why they needed tampons every time somebody made a Stop-n-Shop run.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 1:04:04 PM PST
Astrin Ymris says:
Bubba,

Let's make Bloody Marys 'cause we ALL WANT ONE! ;-D

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:17:22 PM PST
Bubba says:
I love it! Thanks for turning me onto it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:33:17 PM PST
Astrin Ymris says:
Bubba,

How about the redneck anthem 'Merry Christmas from the Family'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P37xPiRz1sg

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:44:36 AM PST
Lisareads says:
https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/statistics/historical/gands.txt
========
The US has had a negative trade balance since 1971 and the deficit is has grown almost every year. Last year we sent away 559 billion like most years before that. In 2008 it was 698 billion we lost to the rest of the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:04:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 7:27:18 PM PST
Spinoza says:
Lisareads says:

But most that we consume is not by workers that pay into FICA. The drawbacks of world trade.

Spinoza says:

It depends on how you define consumption and production of goods and services. You'd be surprised to find out that most of what you consume in the way of professional services, housing, technical services, IT, finance, healthcare, entertainment, education, food, pharmaceuticals, etc. is made right here in the good old US of A by hardworking, productive Americans dutifully paying into FICA.

"Just as it always has during previous cycles of growth and recession, exporting holds an important place in the U.S. economy. In 2008, U.S. exports of goods and services, on a balance of payments basis, totaled $1.84 trillion, an increase of 12 percent over 2007.

During the past decade, the share of U.S. gross domestic product accounted for by exporting has been growing-from 10.9 percent in 1998 to 13.0 percent in 2008.

6 Million Jobs

In 2008, according to figures compiled by the Census Bureau, exports of manufactured goods totaled $1.12 trillion. Manufactured exports supported roughly 6 million U.S. jobs in 2006, the latest year for which figures are available. Of those export-supported jobs, 2.58 million were in manufacturing industries. Those jobs accounted for 19.9 percent of all U.S. manufacturing employment, nearly one out of every five jobs.

Trade Surplus for Services

In 2008, services-the other component of exporting-posted a record trade surplus of $139.7 billion, an increase of 17.3 percent over 2007. Services exports totaled $544.4 billion in 2008, an increase of 9.5 percent over 2007.

Top U.S. services exports included other private services, such as business, professional, and technical services ($238.3 billion); travel ($110.5 billion); and royalties and license fees ($88.2 billion)."

http://trade.gov/press/publications/newsletters/ita_0509/wtw_0509.asp

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 11:33:12 AM PST
Bubba,

We had a square dance called change Reindeer to John Deere. Since he wouldn't need all the words there were only a few others that were also changed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:20:10 AM PST
Lisareads says:
"In the end, it is the collective productivity of all those currently working and paying into FICA vs. the collective expense of those retired. "
=============
But most that we consume is not by workers that pay into FICA. The drawbacks of world trade.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:26:32 AM PST
Spinoza says:
avoraciousreader says:

I find it more elucidating to think of this issue in demographic terms, rather than purely fiscal. In the end it comes down to how many bed-pan changers there are per bed-pan ... i.e. how many in the productive years there are for each retiree, and how much power the retirees have to commandeer the resources and labor of those not retired.

Spinoza says:

Actually, it comes down to how productive current workers are, not how many there are. A million non-productive workers (i.e., those who are not productive enough to support those retired AND themselves and their families) are not as desirable as, let's say, half a million really productive workers.

In the end, it is the collective productivity of all those currently working and paying into FICA vs. the collective expense of those retired.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:10:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 5:18:18 AM PST
Bubba says:
LOL, it very well could, I am not very good at identifying traditional xmas tunes, I'm more into "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer", "Rusty Chevrolet", and "Santa's Lament". It could be like "God Save the Queen" and "My Country Tis of Thee".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgIwLeASnkw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50IgzksUqpQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl4zzlPpwGo

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 5:20:37 PM PST
Nat says:
I dont think it is any one's goddamned business

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 5:12:30 PM PST
It is on my wish list, already. I'm still looking for the book her prof used at graduation. He was great.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 10:54:57 AM PST
Astrin Ymris says:
Bubba,

Re: A Klesmer Xmas

Is it my imagination, or does 'Good King Wenceslas' have the same tune as 'Jolly Old Saint Nicholas'? ;-D

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 10:54:40 AM PST
I think she would be very interested in this book: Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain, Revised and Expanded Edition

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 9:03:23 AM PST
Bubba,

She works mostly with autism, but music works with the brain in ways that are beginning to be exploited. The degree has been around long enough for there to be "the" school among schools.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:32:46 AM PST
Bubba says:
I don't know much about music therapy, but what I have read about it sounds interesting. I wish I could take a music therapy for dummies class.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:14:47 AM PST
Bubba,

I'm seriously thinking about it. I sent the link to my niece. She is studying music therapy in Boone North Carolina. The fundies are getting to her, so I'm not quite sure, if she likes it, how she will use it!

I also sent it to my fundie aunt, who had taught music in her late 60's at a local school. She tried to have a variety of songs for students. This is the aunt that can at least discuss issues and beliefs. You can ask her a question about why she believes something, and although she will point to "God's Word" can explain some things. She even was able to admit that something she said sounded an awful lot like what the Taliban were saying. Although she doesn't agree about ssm, she sees that civil marriage is not the same as church marriage. Her fears are based on what "might" happen, but she can stay rational. I like asking her why, because I get a good perspective about why that I can't get out of a lot of others. But I've digressed, I think she will like the music!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:00:42 AM PST
Bubba says:
I have the CD, I collect novelty xmas songs :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 11:13:39 PM PST
Bubba,

Had you heard this before? I can't stop crying/laughing! And I only listened to the Title song!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 9:24:18 PM PST
Bubba says:
Just be glad that they didn't have any klesmer Xmas music.

Oy To The World - A Klezmer Christmas

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 6:35:26 AM PST
quert says:
Yes! Carlin's take on the human condition was spot on. Another of my favorite comedians in the "wry" genre is Steven Wright.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 5:57:02 AM PST
Spinoza says:
Charles F. Mielke says:

quert, Spinoza, et al.,

Let's not forget the late George Carlin.

Spinoza says:

A truly funny and insightful man. I miss him terribly. :-(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 5:20:00 AM PST
quert, Spinoza, et al.,

Let's not forget the late George Carlin.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 52 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  1294
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions