Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Like It Or Not -- The NRA Is The Face Of American Christianity

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 76 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 2:18:07 PM PST
Buck Buckaw,

I don't have an NRA sticker or even a member of the NRA.

SCL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 1:46:24 AM PST
>>they have plenty of room in their budgets.....<<

Now I know your kidding.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 1:41:20 AM PST
Greg says:
fools and retards call it pathetic. sad ,sad day. but it is the responsability of the schools to keep the children 100% safe .they have plenty of room in their budgets to built super alarm and camera systems,plus security.and many in the school districts that make over one hundred to three hundred thousand their salaries should be cut 50% and moved towards security..

lorenzo luna

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 1:34:25 AM PST
Greg says:
jesus does not need a gun.he only thinks and thousands are dead.one single angel has the capacity to kill a army of one hundred and sixty five thousand man by himself.no tanks no missiles.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 1:23:09 AM PST
Greg says:
a European opinion.your 2nd ammendement is fantastic.in Europe all thieves,all crooks have bullet proof vests and fully automatic weapons and they terrorizes us all the time.some our homes are like fortress with best alarms and they still hurt people at all times.
2..leaders should be held responsible for takink the bible out of the schools and the kids growing up without GOD'S WORD AND WISDOM..MOST OF THEM GROW UP WITHOUT LOVE,DONT BLAME GUNS ,BLAME LEADERS AND PARENTS.

FIGHT TO HOLD ON TO YOUR GUNS AND THE SCHOOLS SHOULD BE 100% FOR THE SAFETY OF THE KIDS.THE SCHOOL SHOULD BE SUED FOR LACK OF SECURITY.PARENTS LOCK UP YOUR GUNS WHEN YOU HAVE A UNSTABLE PERSON LIVE IN YOUR HOUSE.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:52:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 12:56:24 AM PST
Our "constitution" such as it is, makes no allowance for or mention at all of the question of any kind of weapons ownership.

That is a legislative matter.

(Sorry. I responded to your post, but I'll let it stand).

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 12:50:22 AM PST
It occurs to me that this "protect the schools, protect our children" issue being championed by the NRA is a huge red herring meant to keep us arguing amongst ourselves, whilst business goes on as usual and the all other issues get swept away in a sea of outrage.

Tell me "Scooping....." how many childrens lives is it worth for you to be able to put an NRA sticker on your rear bumper?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:49:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 12:52:29 AM PST
dischism says:
SCL

< In the US it is unconstitutional to do what Australia did. >

Is that so? Does your constitution specify which arms you are allowed to bear?

Has there never been a constitutional amendment?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:45:46 AM PST
dischism says:
Here's a link to a site which is a memorial to police deaths in service. This year the total killed by gunfire (non-accidental) is 45, an improvement compared to previous years.

http://www.odmp.org/search/year

In the UK, we've had 6 police killed by non-accidental gunfire in the last *decade*.

http://www.policememorial.org.uk/index.php?page=roll-2012

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:22:40 AM PST
>>So your problem with armed people at places where our most valuable treasure is left defenseless for predators is what again?<<

I'm not even going to bother with this strawman.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 12:21:09 AM PST
Israel is a fortress.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:19:49 AM PST
Buck Buckaw,

But since you wanted to make a reference to another country, how about Israel? Their teachers are armed and they have security at their schools. You don't appear to have many school shootings at those facilities. You also have armed guards at government offices, and you don't hear many shootings going on there as well. So your problem with armed people at places where our most valuable treasure is left defenseless for predators is what again?

SCL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:16:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 12:17:26 AM PST
I'm not saying it does.

I'm just presenting my perspective.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:14:58 AM PST
Buck Buckaw,

Thank you for showing that you have standing here with the Australia reference. This is not Australia, like it is not Germany, China, Bolivia, Canada, Egypt, or Nigeria. In the US it is unconstitutional to do what Australia did. So that line of thought is a dead end and has no holding in American governmental system.

SCL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:14:37 AM PST
>>There's no mystery about why the shooter killed himself. He did so as soon as he saw police arrive and deploy. He was mad dogging, running up the body count, not looking for a gunfight.<<

So, that was his ultimate expression of how much he controlled the situation.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:13:05 AM PST
Sure, I'm interested.

If it's not to much trouble.

I much prefer to have the facts right than be right.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 12:11:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 12:11:38 AM PST
The shooter was quite within her rights to own the weapons used, under current legislation.

When restrictions where first introduced here, my father was required to keep his weapons secured, and ammunition stored and secured separately.

Due to a history of domestic violence he eventually had his weapons confiscated.

I can't tell you the fear we lived in.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:08:07 AM PST
John M. Lane says:
I can list them for you, Buck Buckaw, if your honestly interested.

The latest one was a shooter at the mall in Portland, Oregon. An off duty security officer carrying a concealed weapon brandished it at the shooter and he responded by killing himself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:05:44 AM PST
John M. Lane says:
You have apparently seen reports about the shooter's mothers that I haven't seen, Buck Buckaw. You may be correct about her, but you're being speculative.

I agree that those who own firearms should be responsible in using and storing them. She may have been. I have yet to see a police report identifying the weapon with which her son shot her during her sleep. One report described it as a .22, but no .22s have been recovered. His mother reportedly owned two hunting rifles, a shotgun, a Bushmaster (AR-15 variant) and two pistols, a 10 mm Glock and a 9 mm SIG. The shooter reportedly used the Bushmaster at the school and killed himself with one of the pistols when the police arrived. The shotgun, a Russian semi-auto 12 gauge Saiga probably, was left in the car, possibly for an accomplice. The shooter had reportedly been active online and may have expected a second shooter who never showed up.

There's no mystery about why the shooter killed himself. He did so as soon as he saw police arrive and deploy. He was mad dogging, running up the body count, not looking for a gunfight.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:03:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 12:04:55 AM PST
You've make it quite clear where you're coming from, and I can even appreciate your perspective.

However, there are certain issues that I feel strongly about, and this unfortunate occurrence has tapped into many of them for me.

There are strong emotions swirling all around these issues.

We wouldn't be human if they weren't.

No, I have never lived in the US, but I love the Philadelphia Eagles.

(Please win a Superbowl.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 11:58:06 PM PST
John M. Lane says:
The NRA agrees with you, Buck Buckaw, that our "thin blue line should be thicker and better equipped." It certainly should be.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 11:57:25 PM PST
But where is the evidence that anyone has actually been stopped?

From my understanding, in the history of gun massacres in the US, only one person has ever been stopped by someone else having a weapon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 11:56:47 PM PST
John M. Lane says:
I've tried to be open about which side of the fence I'm on, Buck Buckaw. I'm a retired Chief of Police and I've seen how effective it can be to place officers in the schools. It works.

I'm also a Life Member of the National Rifle Association. If you browse the fora here, you'll see all sorts of intemperate, rabid attacks directed against law abiding gun owners. That's a big reason why I'm in the NRA. They're powerful enough to protect our rights.

I've never been to Australia and am not presumptuous enough to tell you lot how you should run your country. Have you lived in the US?

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 11:54:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 11:54:16 PM PST
The killers mother should never have been allowed to be in possession of those weapons in the first place.

Even if he had only used her pistols the carnage might have been considerably reduced.

As it was, the only time he used a pistol was on himself.

Considering the amount of ammunition he had left, some 270 rounds, it is a mystery why he decided to end it when he did.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 11:52:24 PM PST
John M. Lane says:
I'm not using concern for dead children as a "tactic", Buck Buckaw. I'm pointing out that the kind of programs Wayne LaPierre described work. They're operating now in many jurisdictions including Montana where I live.

I've seen them work even if you haven't. They save lives and that's my priority.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  76
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions