Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Where was God today? Not in CT

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 5:13:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 5:14:05 AM PST
MMX: "MMX: Prayer is a process, too. Does that mean: (A) Prayer is science, or (B) PJA says stupid things on the internet."
PJA: "No prayer is not a science, its a ritual, and no the are not at all stupid..... you just fail to grasp science...."

RB: With leaps of logic like that, I think it's obvious that MMX doesn't fail to grasp science *or* the point you made. This is just another case of someone being deliberately obtuse, just to keep from having to concede that they're wrong.

(edited for grammar)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 10:23:04 PM PST
Gneiss Guy,

Shoot, as the person misconstruing things I'd ace the course. The problem I often have is figuring out what was actually meant!

Lately two separate medical facilities have handed me forms that said at the top circle all your answers. The first one had pick one questions for about 2/3 of the page and then went on asking how many times a week etc. I circled those too! The second one was at a university and supposedly the doctors wrote the questionnaire. Your name was under the statement as about 8 other fill in the blank questions. I cam real close to circling those too! When I pointed it out they seem to think I was being picky. Personally I think if you are going to ignore it at first why would you suddenly remember it half way down the page? The first form made a bit more sense if you were suddenly going to abandon the directions!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 7:04:19 PM PST
Gneiss Guy says:
Reed,
There used to be a course at Annapolis in writing orders. You were given an assignment of telling a ship or detachment of ships somewhere and do something. Then the rest of the class would try to misconstrue your orders. you either got a 4.0 or a 0.0 for the day.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 5:36:04 PM PST
Gneiss Guy,

I had a instructor ask us to talk about all the characters that had changed in "Summer and Smoke", I left out the main female character and he marked me down but didn't tell me that. When I went to ask what I missed he told me that I left her out, I told him she didn't change --- he told me that I should have justified that, which I did then and there. I asked him how I was suppose to know when he asked me who had changed he wanted who had not changed too. He made some argument about my knowing that the others would think differently. I didn't see how he couldn't see she didn't change! He gave me part of the grade back but I think HE learned to write more clearly!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 5:31:59 PM PST
MMX says:
PJA: "Their engineering science method is similar to the methods used today.......Or didn't you know that science is a process?"

MMX: Prayer is a process, too. Does that mean: (A) Prayer is science, or (B) PJA says stupid things on the internet.

Pick one.

PJA You appear to default to only two positions on everything.... Typical religious mindset....us vs them, good and evil, with us or against us......quite predictable.....

No prayer is not a science, its a ritual, and no the are not at all stupid..... you just fail to grasp science....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 5:28:20 PM PST
MMX says:
PJA: "Their engineering science method is similar to the methods used today.......Or didn't you know that science is a process?"

MMX: Prayer is a process, too. Does that mean: (A) Prayer is science, or (B) PJA says stupid things on the internet.

Pick one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 5:27:11 PM PST
MMX says:
LBJ: "It wasn't just sewage systems it was the political will to build them , raise the taxes. It was a public health system developed by the Scots and copied by governments every where over time. Sewage systems, clean water delivery, care for mothers, vaccinations a host of policies developed for all the people by government.

All the government haters forget life as we know it would not exists with out enlightened citizens acting together for the common good"

MMX: Two things: (1) People who dislike government, don't dislike your descriptions. (2) Your argument supports my notion that neither "Science" nor "The Scientific Method" were the supreme ingredients necessary to build the sewage system.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 5:24:43 PM PST
MMX says:
PJA: "As someone who has studied Roman history I can assure you, they had building aqueducts down to a fine science."

MMX: Which is not the same thing as saying either: "(1) They used the Scientific Method to arrive at their abilities." nor (2) "Without the Scientific Method, they would've never built what they built."

PJA. Their engineering science method is similar to the methods used today.......Or didn't you know that science is a process?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 5:23:53 PM PST
MMX says:
PJA: "More like businessmen who took advantage of the discoveries of scientists"

MMX: No, businessmen who were completely ignorant of science. Who made physical discoveries that led scientists to discover the scientific principles behind these physical discoveries.

The wheel wasn't invented by a scientist. Penicillin wasn't discovered via the Scientific Method - but by accident. The laser wasn't discovered via the Scientific Method - but by tinkering.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 5:22:17 PM PST
MMX says:
PJA: "As someone who has studied Roman history I can assure you, they had building aqueducts down to a fine science."

MMX: Which is not the same thing as saying either: "(1) They used the Scientific Method to arrive at their abilities." nor (2) "Without the Scientific Method, they would've never built what they built."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 3:22:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2013 3:29:08 PM PST
The most conservative justice on the supreme court Scalia wrote that the government has the right to regulate guns under the 2nd amendment. Assault weapons are an immoral outrage. The NRA has the blood of 100 000 Americans on its hands. That is the number of Americans that would be alive if the US had similar laws to Canada, Australia, Germany, UK, France etc etc etc. Shame on people who refuse to think the blood is on your hands as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 3:18:36 PM PST
Arguing an example of gods love is Jesus on a cross is immoral. Sin is only forgivable if the sinner tries to make amends and change his or her ways. Asking a god for forgiveness and getting heaven out of the deal but not making amends to the person sinned against is outrageous. Our Native Americas have a custom where the sinner goes to the sinned against and not just asks that person for forgiveness begins by asking how amends can be made. The kid who steals a car and wrecks it figures out how to replace it and make up for any other losses incurred.

A god creating and another god who can die and be reborn is like a little game even if real which of course it isn't its all a god construct, a creator of universes isn't suffering when acting in a self designed playlet and an immoral one to boot.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 1:44:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2013 3:24:15 PM PST
A small difference in marks works it self out over a career. When you get your first promotion it is usually due to results not whether or not you got B plus or A minus in school. The PHD who never publishes a successful book, the entrepreneur who never makes it. Luck, perseverance, timing, quality of competition, work a host of other factors in the end add up to more than charm or sex. One thing that always helps is the quality of one parents.

Those who brag about their accomplishments are boring, irritating and more wrong than right.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 1:37:13 PM PST
It wasn't just sewage systems it was the political will to build them , raise the taxes. It was a public health system developed by the Scots and copied by governments every where over time. Sewage systems, clean water delivery, care for mothers, vaccinations a host of policies developed for all the people by government.

All the government haters forget life as we know it would not exists with out enlightened citizens acting together for the common good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 4:55:36 AM PST
Gneiss Guy says:
When I was in Freshman English we read "Catch-22" for our novel, now I was the only person in the class, including the instructor, who was familiar with "Job". All the critical essays that we had kept comparing Yossarian to a Christ figure. I did not see it as who but Yossarian was redeemed by his sufferings. The only appropriate biblical character was Job, a righteous man, put through unjust sufferings by a capricious God. Well my instructor had never read "Job" before that class and after I turned in my paper he never bothered to read "Job" to see if my arguments were valid beyond the quotes I used. I just got an F because I did not use the prescribed material. Not every suffering righteous man is Christ.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:38:54 PM PST
Rachel,

I was a bit luckier, recently. I was trying to learn the material and trying to take the skills to the next level. On the first quiz I didn't understand how to get to a particular conclusion. After some discussion the professor said that, after 3 jumps, that that was a bit more than was reasonable for a student to make and threw the question out! It took me a long time to learn to do that: about the time I figured out that a professor didn't want an essay even though they said they did ---- they wanted a paragraphed list. I ran into an instructor who wanted the essay!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:04:24 PM PST
Amy Hall says:
Tracy Hall, inventor of the synthetic diamond for GE, who gave him a $10 savings bond.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 10:29:56 PM PST
MMX says:
PJA: "Had we not had modern science for the last 500 years or so, it is likely we would be living in stone huts.But thanks to science,we don't"

MMX: Not true at all.

Had we not free businessmen who, with no scientific knowledge, tinkered their way into developing products which spread to everyone, then we'd be living in stone huts.

PJA., More like businessmen who took advantage of the discoveries of scientists.... still, it were the scientists who made the initial discovery that we benefit from..... you too, in the most unappreciative way...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 10:21:54 PM PST
MMX says:
RB: "When the Romans built the aqueducts and plumbing system they're known for, they had to understand the concept of hydrodynamics. They didn't just put up tons of stone and hope it worked."

MMX: Unless, of course, they BEGAN by doing-just-that, noticing that certain patterns worked, and proceeded from there.

Tinkering isn't the same thing as science. :)

PJA . As someone who has studied Roman history I can assure you, they had building aqueducts down to a fine science. Many modern day engineers marvel at their precise calculations in their design and build.......

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 8:18:06 PM PST
MMX says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 8:16:00 PM PST
MMX says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 8:15:36 PM PST
Ponger says:
Sorry MMX, businessmen hire engineers and scientist to come up with new products and improve existing products.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 8:11:20 PM PST
MMX says:
PJA: "Had we not had modern science for the last 500 years or so, it is likely we would be living in stone huts.But thanks to science,we don't"

MMX: Not true at all.

Had we not free businessmen who, with no scientific knowledge, tinkered their way into developing products which spread to everyone, then we'd be living in stone huts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 8:10:22 PM PST
MMX says:
RB: "When the Romans built the aqueducts and plumbing system they're known for, they had to understand the concept of hydrodynamics. They didn't just put up tons of stone and hope it worked."

MMX: Unless, of course, they BEGAN by doing-just-that, noticing that certain patterns worked, and proceeded from there.

Tinkering isn't the same thing as science. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 5:41:04 PM PST
That's true. Grading essay exams is particularly hard, since so much of that is subjective. It's not unreasonable to question perceived double standards. That's also difficult, since many professors don't want to be challenged. I very diplomatically challenged a professor when I saw that he had misaligned the answer key for about a third of the class.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 69 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  85
Total posts:  1712
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions