Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Why amazon does not uses word "christmas" ?

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Dec 17, 2012 8:45:50 PM PST.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 7, 2012 9:06:08 PM PST
What's going on what "holiday deals" ? Why they refuse to use word "Christmas" ?

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:10:15 PM PST
J. Peterson says:
Because there's more than one holiday this time of year.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:10:42 PM PST
MMH says:
not EVERYONE celebrates Xmas...and Amazon is an international company..ok?

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:10:43 PM PST
Amazon probably wants money from Christians and non-Christians alike. It all spends.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 9:11:21 PM PST
Lene Jensen says:
You haven't seen their Christmas corner, then?

I guess Jews shouldn't have a Happy Hanukkah (which starts tonight, btw). They have only 8 days of giving vs the rest of us having as many as one.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:14:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 9:23:22 PM PST
UbiqueNY says:
It is no longer "politically correct " to use Christmas in ads. They don't want to allienate the non Christians. Just think of all the Druid money that would be lost to the store 's coffers.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:18:50 PM PST
reallifebaby says:
Why are you so worried why its used or not?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 9:20:39 PM PST
Lene Jensen says:
I don't get it. Holiday literally means Holy Day. If there is a holy day in December for Christians, it has to be Christmas. So Christmas is included. I don't understand this need for excluding people of other or no faith.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 9:21:51 PM PST
If I was so worried, I'd ask amazon directly. I'm just interested what others think. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 9:23:37 PM PST
T. Call says:
I didn't know this wasn't the holidays.

Why do some religions insist on trying to run the lives of those around them? I know they love to run around screaming for war but dragging a peace on earth and joy to mankind holiday around as yet another weapon is going overboard.

A friend of mine commented at lunch today about who the Christians will search out to battle with when homosexuals finally get their equal rights in the USA. And he and his wife are Muslims. Fortunately it seems the younger evangelists are deciding to focus on real issues such as poverty and abandoned or neglected children. Thankfully.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:24:57 PM PST
Arielski says:
I just checked the home page. "Christmas Corner" is right below "Holiday Deals".

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:33:45 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 7, 2012 10:09:41 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 9:41:39 PM PST
©ooper says:
Why can't someone ask a question without having their motives questioned? Does it bother you so much that he wants to know?

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:46:18 PM PST
br0 says:
Americans..

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:52:18 PM PST
Hard to believe either that (a) someone who's an adult doesn't KNOW why companies that hope to attract as many customers as possible prefer to use 'holidays' rather than Christmas; or (b) someone is offended by the reference to 'the holiday season' rather than to 'Christmas.'

Bad faith? Small-mindedness?

Whoever said that there are no stupid questions exaggerated. Yes, there are.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:55:11 PM PST
David says:
I'm not Jewish, but if someone wished me a Happy Hanukkah, I would simply say "Thank you." It's more or less, "have a nice day."

I have started telling people "Happy holidays or Merry Christmas! Whichever you find more offensive!"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 10:06:39 PM PST
>>>>
What's going on what "holiday deals" ? Why they refuse to use word "Christmas" ?
<<<<

They aren't "refusing" to use the word. They're just using a more accurate description that doesn't exclude people unnecessarily.

Why do you think they should use a term that excludes people? Why should they not be inclusive of people of all faiths?

And, btw, even if you're Christian, Christmas isn't the only thing to celebrate in December. AND, if that weren't enough, if you're really, really evangelical, you would probably find it blasphemous to use the word "Christmas" to hawk good for sale.

So here's how it plays out:
1. Making the sales only about Christmas excludes a significant segment of the population,
2. Christians who are really serious about their faith would be insulted by a merchant using their faith to sell secular goods, and
3. The only people who really are bothered by this issue are blow-hards who like to make a lot of noise, but spend their money anyway.

So it's a clear CHOICE for Amazon to prefer to participate in the "Holiday" season. They're not "refusing" to do anything. They're just making a smart choice.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 10:07:48 PM PST
Oh, and Happy Festivus to one and all!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 10:16:52 PM PST
Kris Keith says:
blow-hards making noise. wow, what a way to show your respect to someone you disagree with. the first two "plays" were solid, but you had to get emotional and throw in the hate.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 10:19:22 PM PST
reallifebaby says:
Fairy Krishna everyone, Fairy Krishna!

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 10:20:45 PM PST
MG says:
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand why they don't use the word Christmas...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 10:22:31 PM PST
Lene Jensen says:
God Jul! :)

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 10:24:48 PM PST
CVV123 says:
Who cares?

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 10:46:54 PM PST
I am an American. I have a right to freedom of religion. The birth of Jesus is my religion! If it is politically incorrect to use the word Christmas; why then should I have to tolerate other religions. I am not happy that so many businesses will take my right in order to try to please every one else. But that is why it is called business. Money; The Love of Money! Right? So Merry Christmas and may Jesus be with you.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 11:04:25 PM PST
David says:
"So Merry Christmas and may Jesus be with you."

And metaphors be with you... always.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 62 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1552 14 days ago
Does the brain need consciousness? 83 42 minutes ago
Legalize Prostitution? Yes or No? 148 1 hour ago
Why did those who are now atheists leave Christianity? 4030 1 hour ago
Does Consciousness Need a Brian? 481 1 hour ago
Is Crooked Hillary the Choice for Atheists because she is Crooked? Loves Aborting Baby Girls? Trashed the Women who Told The Truth About Impeached Cheating Bill? Or is it her Amoral Awkwardness that Attracts the Atheists To Crooked Hillary? 136 2 hours ago
Shroud of Turin: For the doubting Thomases? 9690 2 hours ago
A thread about theology. Not a thread about whether or not God exists. 2115 5 hours ago
What's happening with SSM in the post Prop 8 world? 3142 5 hours ago
What would Christ say about Trump: evangelical hero, crackpot, or psychopath? 1130 6 hours ago
Even if There Were a 'God,' No Human Could Know It 873 8 hours ago
Jesus probably didn't exist. Brian Bethune in response to Bart Ehrhman 2817 8 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  454
Total posts:  1541
Initial post:  Dec 7, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions