Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

How can someone choose to be gay?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 80 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2013 11:33:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 11:34:30 PM PST
A Reader says:
Christians say that gays choose to be gay. Christians believe, therefore, that nobody is born gay. Christians believe that everyone is born straight, however. We are all born 100% heterosexual. Question: if everyone is born straight, then where does the choice to be gay come from?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 12:04:08 AM PST
Eric Pyle says:
I think it's because they have better clothes.

Unless it's offensive to say that, in which case I don't think it's because they have better clothes.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 3:48:58 AM PST
AxeGrrl says:
This is, unfortunately, what can happen when people place all of their faith in a book written by men that's been pedalled as being 'from God'. When someone does that, they can potentially become kind of 'vaccinated' against even _considering_ anything that contradicts or challenges it......

even when that something has far more evidence to support it than the book they've pledged their undying allegiance to.

I'm essentially a 'whatever works for you' type of person when it comes to an individual's right to believe and live by whatever religious belief/worldview they choose or arrive at......but this is an example of the kind of real-world damage that can be done when someone assumes a 'the Bible says it, that settles it' kind of mentality.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 4:58:27 AM PST
J. Russell says:
Christians are wrong. Some people are for whatever reason born gay.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 4:59:40 AM PST
Irish Lace says:
It would be difficult to state it better than that, AxeGrrl.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 5:26:52 AM PST
Gwaithmir says:
J. Russell said: "Christians are wrong. Some people are for whatever reason born gay."

>This is a scientific fact. Our sexual preference is encoded in our genes at conception.

>One question for fundies (of any religion) who think otherwise: At what age did you consciously choose to be heterosexual?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 6:31:24 AM PST
>One question for fundies (of any religion) who think otherwise: At what age did you consciously choose to be heterosexual?

I asked a bible-thumping coworker of mine this question and she actually answered me! Seems she was close to having a ss relationship with her best friend in her early twenties, broke off the relationship and married the guy her family and church members thought she should.

She is a miserable beatch, but she's saved, praise the Lord!!! She 'can't wait to be raptured'. I try to feel sorry for her.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 6:52:50 AM PST
AxeGrrl says:
How did she react when you pointed out that she's (apparently) bisexual?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 7:19:28 AM PST
Bubba says:
It sounds more like she's a lesbian, because she is miserable being married to a man. I am very torn about whether I should have any sympathy for these sorry people; she freely made a decision that she KNEW was against her nature and she KNEW that she would be unhappy in the situation that her decision put her.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 7:46:12 AM PST
Sir Pugsly says:
As our society accepts the notion of "being gay"...as Western governments seek to protect and (in places like CA) encourage homosexuality......there are much MORE gay people....and even GAY CHILDREN now.

That points directly to 4 possible answers.....1) is an evolutionary and statistical miracle--that gays are being born at higher rates at exactly the time in history of social acceptance
2) that gay propensity rates are the same but are socially in vougue causing a "coming out of the shadows" at accelerated rates
3) that a socially acceptable CHOICE is now available causing more choices for gay behavior
4) that 2 & 3 are happening

I think answer #4 is true.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 7:53:09 AM PST
And your data or citations to support this amazing contention are...????
Actually, one could perhaps argue your points 2 and 3. But one would have to believe that your motivations are other than hate.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 7:55:24 AM PST
Sir Pugsly says:
Ah yes....."hate"......that's a sweet slander you threw at me....let's see how much more "hate" comes my way.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 8:06:36 AM PST
AxeGrrl says:
Given what we've been given, I don't think there's enough info to assert what her orientation is, really.......

I'd just say that anyone who has any genuine sexual/romantic attraction to _both_ genders fits the description of bisexual.

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 8:09:30 AM PST
every Christian believes Gays chose to be gay? every single one,did you do a poll,or are you assuming!?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 8:15:39 AM PST
Thank you for your focus on one word rather than the whole sense of what I posted.
I essentially said that IF hate is your motivation. Is it?

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 8:22:58 AM PST
are you waffling?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 8:43:44 AM PST
Sir Pugsly says:
Conserv.......my good friend.....I have started a new thread on "hate" to answer your query.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 8:48:47 AM PST
Astrocat says:
AxeGrrl, I think it's more a "The Bible says what I want it to say, so that settles it". It's pretty obvious the Bible doesn't condemn homosexuality, but temple prostitution in the Hebrew scriptures, and if people take the time and just a little effort to research the background of the Christian scriptures they'd find out that it was something very common among the Romans and the Greeks, and not at all frowned upon until Paul, the misogynist convert, decided he didn't like it.

And anyway, even if the Bible said it was the worst thing a person could do, so what?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 8:57:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2013 8:58:52 AM PST
EBoyd says:
"Conserv.......my good friend...."
Let's not get dishonest and sappy here.

Yes, I saw your new thread.
Not interested though. Every time I see "God hates...." my respect for literalist Christianity diminishes even further--if that's possible.
I was interested in your concept of gayness and the statistics(?) you asserted here.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 9:08:19 AM PST
Some homosexual behavior is predicated on conscious or forced choice, other homosexual behavior is "inborn" in the same way that heterosexual orientation is "inborn". In the latter case one's brain develops a certain sexual orientation "naturally" or "spontaneously".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 9:11:42 AM PST
AxeGrrl says:
The bottom line, to me, is that it doesn't matter if the Bible unequivocally condemns it or not. Doesn't matter whether it's a 'personal reading' or if the book itself declares it outright.......

because, once again, it's a book written by men. And as such, using it (or misusing it) as an 'ultimate source for morality' is inherently problematic either way.

Plus, ultimately, people aren't necessarily 'responsible' for their beliefs, but they're sure as hell responsible for their _actions_.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 9:16:39 AM PST
AxeGrrl says:
arpard fazakas wrote: "Some homosexual behavior is predicated on conscious or forced choice...."
~~~~

Do you mean something similar to the _heterosexual_ behaviour that's "predicated on conscious or forced choice" for homosexuals faking a 'straight life'?

Given all the evidence surrounding this issue, i think it's safe to say that human beings can exhibit _behaviour_ that contradicts their true orientation in the 'right' situation'.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 9:38:52 AM PST
Axe, Bubba, she denied she's anything but straight, obviously! It was the devil, it was paying too much attention to secular views, and it Was. Not. Real. It was a test.
The list was quite predictable.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 9:42:51 AM PST
Sir Pugsly says:
"Thank you for your focus on one word rather than the whole sense of what I posted.
I essentially said that IF hate is your motivation. Is it?"

Conserv....there is a contradiction here....are you a gatekeeper of facts based on motivation?
You want stats and facts and motivation.

How did that song go..."One of these things just doesn't belong here"

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 9:44:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2013 9:48:01 AM PST
Boyd:
Sidesteps and does a tap-dance.

Speaking of songs. here's one I posted elsewhere.

"You've Got To Be Carefully Taught," (Lyrics from South Pacific.)
You've got to be taught To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught From year to year,
It's got to be drummed In your dear little ear,
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1650 8 days ago
I cannot get goblueresurrection to address my evidence that atheism is true 763 10 minutes ago
Creationism is Sad 663 21 minutes ago
Life 991 35 minutes ago
Today in Muslim History 8677 50 minutes ago
How can atheism be true or false? 923 51 minutes ago
Noah's Ark - the "WTH?"Thread 241 1 hour ago
Even if There Were a 'God,' No Human Could Know It 2914 1 hour ago
atheist church 557 1 hour ago
Art & Spirituality 610 2 hours ago
Jesus probably didn't exist. Brian Bethune in response to Bart Ehrhman 3505 4 hours ago
nondualism 380 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  Mar 8, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions