Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Humans, Global Warming, and a new analysis of the evidence - your analysis?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 29, 2012 12:27:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2012 12:27:51 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
I'm interested in seeing others' analysis of the evidence presented in this article, and of the way the evidence is presented in this article.

I found it quite dispassionate and balanced.

Thanks,

'prob

============================
-------------------------------------------------------------
CALL me a converted skeptic. Three years ago I identified problems in previous climate studies that, in my mind, threw doubt on the very existence of global warming. Last year, following an intensive research effort involving a dozen scientists, I concluded that global warming was real and that the prior estimates of the rate of warming were correct. I'm now going a step further: Humans are almost entirely the cause.

Science is that narrow realm of knowledge that, in principle, is universally accepted. I embarked on this analysis to answer questions that, to my mind, had not been answered. I hope that the Berkeley Earth analysis will help settle the scientific debate regarding global warming and its human causes. Then comes the difficult part: agreeing across the political and diplomatic spectrum about what can and should be done.
-------------------------------------------------------------

- Richard A. Muller, a professor of physics at the University of California, Berkeley, and a former MacArthur Foundation fellow

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/opinion/the-conversion-of-a-climate-change-skeptic.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all
============================

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 12:32:40 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
Also useful as basic background, and also presented clearly (in my opinion):

Global Weirdness: Severe Storms, Deadly Heat Waves, Relentless Drought, Rising Seas and the Weather of the Future
by Climate Central

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 3:31:47 PM PDT
Why is this discussion in the Religion, as opposed to the Science forum?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 3:40:29 PM PDT
esanta says:
Because the Science forum is cluttered by "intelligent design" discussions ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 3:56:59 PM PDT
Oh, he's from Berkeley, he must be a radical leftist, can't believe anything he says, it's all a plot to steal the wealth of the developed countries and transfer it to the developing countries.

:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 9:48:15 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
Michael Altarriba asked:

> Why is this discussion in the Religion, as opposed to the Science forum?

Because the knee-jerk GW deniers leap upon anything that moves, over there, perhaps?

,.-)

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 4:57:32 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
[thud]

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 5:46:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2012 5:53:45 PM PDT
Amy Hall says:
lol

I only read your post, and not the NYT article. I know global warming exists, and because of humans, because I see it in front of me every single day. It's hot, and the seasons, even in a tropical zone near the equator, are kapakahi so much that even the mango trees are blossoming way too early now.

I also know the earth is getting hotter because of the reports from experts. Politicians say anything, but I can't deny what the experts say. Mount Rainier erupted in 1980... because the earth was getting colder? The Big Island is erupting in strange ways, because the flows are so constant. No, it's getting hotter. Way back in the late 70's, I put an editorial in the Seattle PI about the holes in the ozone layer, and we're *still* blasting more holes, therefore it's much hotter. You think humans will listen? No. We're stupid.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:15:17 PM PDT
Prob,

Global warming is real. The glaciers are melting, the snow level is rising, it's wetter where I live, warmer where my friends on the east coast live, and we're seeing record-level flooding in many parts of the world. I admit I'm no expert on this stuff, but I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to realize that humans and their use of fossil fuels are mostly responsible for the high levels of carbon dioxide in our atmosphere.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:19:04 PM PDT
Climate has nothing to do with causing volcanic eruptions. (Volcanic eruptions on the other hand can definitely affect climate).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 9:41:10 PM PDT
Amy Hall says:
Oh, yeah; prove it, nimrod.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 9:49:29 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Feb 16, 2013 6:44:25 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 9:51:48 PM PDT
barbW says:
why was Dr. Muller skeptical 3 yrs ago?

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 10:15:45 PM PDT
BigJake says:
Climate change? Yes? Human caused [in partor in hole] has been denied by stubborn skeptics ongronds there weresimilar changes 500 - 600 years ago. Question for such folk: How many peole were estimated to be onearth i n those pre-indusstrial times? Hmmmm? And how many do we have now? Can you still believe this ever growing population is NOT affecting the way the world responds to it? If you cana believe that, don't answer your phone as bridge salemen will be calling shortly. === BigJake

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 11:14:01 PM PDT
Amy Hall says:
werranth, look it up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 5:22:02 AM PDT
There is no known or plausible physical mechanism whereby what is happening on the earth's surface and atmosphere can affect volcanic activity. Volcanic activity arises from continental drift: huge blocks of crust being carried along by gigantic convection currents in the underlying mantle, leading to volcanic activity at sites of spreading and subduction. No physical processes occuring in the earth's atmosphere and on its surface affect this.

P.S why the abuse? It would seem to imply you have a fund of wisdom on this topic for which no evidence has been presented.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 9:41:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2012 9:48:34 AM PDT
'probabilist says:
Good book on eruptions and climate:

Eruptions that Shook the World
by Clive Oppenheimer

Nothing in it about climate affecting eruptions, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 9:46:39 AM PDT
The Weasel says:
werranth413 says:
why was Dr. Muller skeptical 3 yrs ago?
(1) He's known as something of a contrarian
(2) He thought that the data were improperly adjusted
(3) He was being paid by the Kochs' who wanted an anti-AGW report

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 9:47:53 AM PDT
The Weasel says:
arpard fazakas says:
There is no known or plausible physical mechanism whereby what is happening on the earth's surface and atmosphere can affect volcanic activity. Volcanic activity arises from continental drift: huge blocks of crust being carried along by gigantic convection currents in the underlying mantle, leading to volcanic activity at sites of spreading and subduction. No physical processes occuring in the earth's atmosphere and on its surface affect this.

P.S why the abuse? It would seem to imply you have a fund of wisdom on this topic for which no evidence has been presented.
With the possible exception of fracking -- We know fracking can cause near surface earthquakes - So, fracking say in Yellowstone might not be a great idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 10:03:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2012 10:06:23 AM PDT
Amy Hall says:
arpard: "P.S why the abuse? It would seem to imply you have a fund of wisdom on this topic for which no evidence has been presented."
-----
Abuse? You mean from me? If it's me you're referring to, I meant no "abuse". Sorry, I don't see where I was abusive, but I sure didn't mean it that way, arp. Volcanoes are one my favorite things in the world. They are a wonder to behold. Having lived here, with the information that the http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm gives, and the V.O.G. (http://hawaii.gov/gov/vog) I see every day, eruptions have everything to do with climate. Let me give you an example. Volcanic ash + fog = VOG The Big Island is south of here; when the flows are going, this musty, hard-to-breathe stuff is seen right in front of your face. They now have vog alerts. Those with bronchial problems have a very hard time breathing; most people stay inside until the vog lessens, which happens because of tropical breezes and a lot of showers.

Another source to check out the UH Haleakala observatory website online.

With all due respect, and I'm by no means a scientist with equipment in the field, but the current thinking here is that volcanoes have *everything* to do with the heating of our beloved planet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 10:07:23 AM PDT
King's Kid says:
You apparently have no idea who Nimrod was.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 10:10:03 AM PDT
King's Kid says:
Nimrod was the son of Cush and great-grandson of Noah and the king of Shinar.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 10:12:20 AM PDT
King's Kid says:
I might take GW or as they like to call it now; Climate Change, more seriously if they hadn't scared the *$&%& out of me as a kid warning about a new Ice Age.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 10:13:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2012 10:13:27 AM PDT
Amy Hall says:
(looking around) What? You mean, me? I use Nimrod quite a lot; it's local pidjin for "pal".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 10:34:41 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
It's called "learning". He learned something new.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1127 8 hours ago
keep one change one started 14 september 2012 8461 24 seconds ago
Almighty God 8181 59 seconds ago
The Hobby Lobby decision 1187 1 minute ago
The War on Wonen Continues Apace 3393 5 minutes ago
Does God surpass all understanding? 553 5 minutes ago
Universal Love 157 9 minutes ago
Prayer in Public School-Again 8659 9 minutes ago
Another 10,000 Quotes... 2900 20 minutes ago
What's happening with SSM in the post Prop 8 world? 1206 22 minutes ago
!!!! atheists won !!!! 1091 22 minutes ago
Science II 469 37 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Jul 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions