Bitter sweet, I don't think I should feel bad... I think believers should

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 11:46:50 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 15, 2013 9:06:59 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:21:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 1:30:02 AM PST
Ponger says:
We all understand the world through our own mind and you apparently cannot relate to the fact that many have fears and anxieties that make them cling to their gods and guns. Many are also guite gullible and lack curosity and critical thinking skills and go with the flow when it comes to religion. An interesting thing about Christianity that many Christians don't know is that it was initially made popular by Paul who says he never met Jesus, but had a vision of him. And that Chrisitanity after initially being persecuted, became the official religion of the Roman empire and enforced and spread at the point of a sword while other religions were being systematically destroyed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:39:51 AM PST
G. Heron says:
Jack Vix

Your post reminded me of a few lines by William Blake.

"To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 2:51:38 AM PST
Joe Anthony says:
Jack Vix says:

"I wish people could value life more, could be happier with what is, with how amazing and wonderful reality is - without illusions, without a "savior" without the need to be "saved". To be exalted without the need to look up. Life can be an absolute joy. Just being is enough, it's so great. Don't spit on it by wishing for another world. Isn't this enough? Without God life is everything. It's pure joy."

I say:

I think that you should stop worrying about what other people are doing and thinking.

On another note; let's say you get what you seem to want, and everyone gives up on religion and then sees the power and the light of your way of thinking; then what happens?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:04:27 AM PST
Ponger says:
Joe,
In northern Europeon countries where athesits make up the majority of the population they take of themselves and have higher standards of living then the USA and much lower crime rates - less teenage pregnacies too. So when we start taking care of ourselves and stop asking super Dad for help, people seem to grow up and do better.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:17:00 AM PST
Ariex says:
Jack Vix says: I'm very fortunate. To live in this country. To not have been born in a terrible place in poverty and abject toil and lack of oppurtunity."

Ariex: I feel this way as well. Last night my wife and I watched a Ken Burns documentary, "The Dust Bowl". What a heart wrenching story to see, and to think, my own parents lived through this horrible time, although they were far enough East that they avoided most of the dust storms, but not the poverty of the times. We think of America as a land of opportunity, but the lessons of history tell a different story for some people. And on that, it occurs to me that it was certainly not a land of opportunity for the American Indians of the 18th century onward.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:23:34 AM PST
Ariex says:
Ponger says: "We all understand the world through our own mind and you apparently cannot relate to the fact that many have fears and anxieties that make them cling to their gods and guns."

Ariex: Faith in God is also a way of clinging to each other, in that it strengthens social ties.

Ponger says: "Many are also guite gullible and lack curosity and critical thinking skills and go with the flow when it comes to religion."

Ariex: I wonder if a lot of that might be due to religious indoctrination that discourages questioning, examining, and reinforces the belief that one already has the right answers and doesn't need to look further. How many "believers" are suppressing those doubts and questions because it is not "the right thing to do"? How many are depressed or "uneasy" because they have an unexpressed awareness that all is not right with their world of faith? I've met several in my lifetime.

I suggest that few are really that gullible, but those that are, present a "stereotype" that puts a distorted face on belief. Just some thoughts from a atheist.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:25:21 AM PST
Ariex says:
Joe Anthony says: "On another note; let's say you get what you seem to want, and everyone gives up on religion and then sees the power and the light of your way of thinking; then what happens?"

Ariex: Then you wake up and get ready for work, thinking, what an unusual dream, and then discover that aliens have taken over the earth during the night.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:16:20 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 15, 2013 9:08:52 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:27:58 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 15, 2013 9:09:32 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:30:00 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 15, 2013 9:09:40 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:41:26 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 15, 2013 9:10:25 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 12:57:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 1:23:06 PM PST
Joe Anthony says:
Ponger says:

"In northern Europeon countries where athesits make up the majority of the population they take of themselves and have higher standards of living then the USA and much lower crime rates - less teenage pregnacies too. So when we start taking care of ourselves and stop asking super Dad for help, people seem to grow up and do better."

I say:

Oh, I see, there IS a Utopia or "Heaven on Earth"; and it's called "Sweden"...

...and, even though America and Sweden have different cultures, different histories, different forms of government, and different demographics; all we have to do to be JUST LIKE SWEDEN is do away with the stupid Christians...RIGHT?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:01:48 PM PST
Joe Anthony says:
Jack Vix says: "The point is, if you need something outside of life to make it meaningful you're saying everything in life is meaningless."

I say:

...but Christians aren't saying that life is meaningless. Indeed, they are saying just the opposite; that God has a goal for you and that goal is be kind to one another; to love each other, and forgive one another.

You say it's sad, but I say "don't cry for me Argentina"; I'll be just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:13:04 PM PST
Ponger says:
No Joe,
And it's more countries than just Sweden, but it does show that God and religion don't provide a more moral world. In fact, religion is more popular in less moral times and places because people need something to lean on when times are tough. Most religious sages like Buddha, Jesus, and Mohammad got popular in tough times as people needed guidance.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:13:18 PM PST
Joe:
Although I have disagreed with you online a few times, you have said something here to counter the cheap thought of some leftists who are fond of the idea that the US could just be like several European countries if we only got rid of religion and, of course, guns. They ignore the fractious history of the US and particularly the demographics. We have a history of diverse and often conflicting cultures, whereas countries like Sweden are still monocultures for all practical purposes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 2:27:42 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 15, 2013 9:10:57 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 2:42:22 PM PST
Stan Furman says:
You should be sad. It is your fault that others don't feel that way and don't even try to see the beauty of a life unimpressed with illusions in the security of being happy with life alone.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions