Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Useless scripture

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2012 7:31:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 7:35:43 PM PST
A newcomer to the free thought community, I now find my once beloved Bible a useless document. However, some scripture is more egregiously useless than the rest. For example, my favorite portion, Deut. 25:11-12 says, "If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity." Why on earth is this portion in the "holy scriptures"? How often did this happen to merit a law? And why the misogyny?

Any one else have their own favorites? Please be specific. I would also like to see examples from other "holy" books. Please keep it courteous.

Special greetings to any former Plymouth Brethren out there.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 8:12:51 PM PST
Jack Vix says:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ZifdEvwnEho/UOD7b5hd-7I/AAAAAAAAAX0/4SfYUI_f15E/s483/literallysaysnottothink.jpg

My absolute favorite. Scripture literally tells you not to think.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 8:16:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 8:36:53 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Doc, the first five books of the Hebrew scriptures were written during the Babylonian captivity. Most of the laws were written to make sure the Hebrews didn't mix much with other people, to keep them separate. Now why the part you mention was included is certainly a mystery, but it must have had something to do with the desire to remain separate and very, very different from the people who lived near them.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 8:29:15 PM PST
Nancy,
Why cut off the woman's hand? That has nothing to do with keeping the bloodlines pure. She was defending her husband, for God's sake (sorry, force of habit!)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 8:38:11 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Doc, yes, the point was that there was no point other than a kind of misogynistic anger that a women would dare touch a man's "privates". Doesn't sound very "godlike" to me, unless that "god" was just the nasty, little tribal god he's always seemed to be from the very beginning of the story.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 8:45:53 PM PST
Nancy, my apologies. Mistook you for a fundie!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 10:12:54 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Whoo!! Not in a million years, Doc. No fundies here!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 10:31:10 PM PST
Jack Vix says:
She's a different species of fundie, of the "woo" family.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 4:22:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 12:09:53 AM PST
Here's another old favorite portion of mine. Numbers 5:11-31 describes the "law of jealousy". Essentially, if a man became suspicious of his wife's fidelity for any reason whatsoever, he can make her undergo a trial by ordeal. If she fails (she has to drink a witches' brew and is then closely observed for swelling of her stomach or rotting of her thighs) she is to become "a curse among her people", a designation with usually fatal consequences. If nothing happens, she is exonerated. Importantly, her husband walks away with no consequences for his actions. Again seen is a strong misogyny. What would the ERA activists say if we tried to bring this law back into action when America is finally "reclaimed for God"?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 5:19:50 PM PST
Astrocat says:
"reclaimed" for which god, do you think, Doc?

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 12:10:43 AM PST
AmeriJesus, of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 12:39:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 12:44:20 AM PST
There's a great web site for this stuff.

Here's an example:

>>"Neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woolen come upon thee." -- Leviticus 19:19

The Bible forbids wearing cloth made out of a mix of wool and linen, but other fiber combinations are fine.<<

They just go on and on.

Go on and pick a favorite:

http://www.asylum.com/2008/02/20/the-weirdest-laws-in-the-bible-no-mixing-fibers/

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 3:59:41 AM PST
David A. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 4:12:45 AM PST
Greg says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 4:15:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 4:30:51 AM PST
Here's another one:

>>CAPITAL PUNISHMENT

"They shall be stoned with stones, their blood shall be upon them." -- Leviticus 20:27

"There are a tremendous number of things you can get executed for in the Bible," notes Jacobs. "Homosexuality, adultery, astrology, being a disrespectful child, being a drunken son, blasphemy, breaking the Sabbath, perjury, incest, bestiality and witchcraft." And stoning was often the execution of choice.<<

Everybody must get stoned.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 4:17:05 AM PST
David A. says:
http://www.asylum.com/2008/02/20/the-weirdest-laws-in-the-bible-no-mixing-fibers/

When they say 'wierdest' do they mean wierd as in queer or wierd as in abominable? (irony intended).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 4:19:00 AM PST
David A. says:
BB: There are a tremendous number of things you can get executed for in the Bible," notes Jacobs. "Homosexuality, adultery, astrology, being a disrespectful child, being a drunken son, blasphemy, breaking the Sabbath, perjury, incest, bestiality and witchcraft."

You left out murder.
The author of the OT had a hangup about destroying self-aware, highly intelligent lifeforms.
Go figure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 4:23:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 4:30:17 AM PST
Well, "weird" is used in a very subjective way there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 4:26:22 AM PST
That was a quote from that site but I agree it should be on their list.

>>The author of the OT had a hangup about destroying self-aware, highly intelligent lifeforms.<<

Just the ones that didn't agree with the authors singular perspective.

I think that would make him (them?) a fascist (s) but I could have my defenitions muddled.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 6:34:44 AM PST
David A. says:
Brad: Well, "weird" is used in a very subjective way there.

That's an understatement: The author focuses on mixing wool and linen (as opposed to mixing, say, cotton and linen) as weird, yet completely ignores the Bible's obsession with spilling blood (repeated in every book of the Pentateuch).

I seem to be as similarly hung-up about liquids as is the author:
On one hand, I was always taught never to cry over spilt liquids such as milk, whereas never so much as conceive of situation where I would needlessly spill someone else's blood.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 6:37:27 AM PST
David A. says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 6:38:54 AM PST
I am unsure who Brad is or which author you are refering to.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 6:40:42 AM PST
>>Not at all!
With enough time and effort, you could certainly make the case that opposition to murder is a form of fascism.
Why not?<<

That's a long bow.

I would like to see you make such a case.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 8:11:13 AM PST
Yep - I can vouch for Nancy - she is a liberated thinker. Free from the dogmas of these religions!
:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 8:25:06 AM PST
Amon says:
I believe you misinterpreted that line...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 42 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1552 16 days ago
One-sentence Nonsense Deepities for Fun and Prophet 104 1 minute ago
Why did those who are now atheists leave Christianity? 4172 3 minutes ago
ISIS, Trump, and Brexit: are these apocalyptic times? 41 4 minutes ago
Today in Muslim History 7683 5 minutes ago
Religion, No Religion - Who Really Cares? 2 7 minutes ago
Jesus probably didn't exist. Brian Bethune in response to Bart Ehrhman 2868 9 minutes ago
Is Crooked Hillary the Choice for Atheists because she is Crooked? Loves Aborting Baby Girls? Trashed the Women who Told The Truth About Impeached Cheating Bill? Or is it her Amoral Awkwardness that Attracts the Atheists To Crooked Hillary? 154 10 minutes ago
Legalize Prostitution? Yes or No? 162 12 minutes ago
Does the brain need consciousness? 107 26 minutes ago
keep one change one started 10 October 2014 6412 41 minutes ago
Does Consciousness Need a Brian? 491 56 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  53
Total posts:  1030
Initial post:  Dec 30, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 19, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions