Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Does god love you?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 100 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 26, 2013 12:58:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2013 9:44:25 PM PST
Blu Boy says:
I am interested to see what people believe in regards to god loving us.

Let me qualify this question with a few ideas about god that I believe most people agree with.

1- God loves us
2- God knows everything. Past, present and future.
3- He has the power to save us or damn us.

Okay, here goes: God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, and omnipresent. He knows which of his creations will follow him and who will not. He loves us. He allows those who don't follow him to suffer pain and death and follows this up with an eternity of torture.

Now, lets imagine that we know that a toddler is going to wonder into a busy road. We see it happening, have the power to stop it, and do nothing. Now imagine that child is your child. We let the child get hit... because we love them?

I really would like to know how this makes sense to anyone.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 1:13:42 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 26, 2013 11:52:43 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 1:21:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2013 1:26:26 AM PST
Blu Boy says:
Lucy,

It sounds to me like you are arguing for ignorance...

In your opinion is ignorance good? What if that ignorance is used in ways that affect other people, positively and negatively?

Yes, I can certainly understand that their beliefs inform their perceptions but can we also agree that nothing I said in my OP couldn't be used to describe the god of religious oppressors? I get the sense you are making the argument that these beliefs don't have real world consequences that make their fallacious thinking worth pointing out.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 1:29:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2013 12:15:45 AM PST
Blu Boy says:
Lucy,

"I don't understand why you can't grasp that."

You are jumping to the conclusion that I don't understand the emotional motivation for belief that the "dude in charge" loves them and has their back. I do. This may surprise you but I am a human being with emotional needs and can sympathize and empathize with others.

I just think that this is an extremely jarring flaw in believing that god loves them. If they really "need" to believe it, why not believe something that makes some sense?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 1:36:23 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 26, 2013 11:52:50 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 1:48:54 AM PST
Blu Boy says:
Lucy,

I also can agree that the comfort that comes during intense loss and pain from faith is not bad. It's just not.... rational. If my daughter died I would be emotionally devastated. I cannot honestly sympathize with that situation because I have no experience to match that loss. I firmly believe, however, that does not mean I should argue that even though it doesn't make sense people "need" it.

People are adaptable. Incredibly so. No one needs Santa Clause when they know it's a ruse, why should they need god? Because their family might not accept them? Because they feel good?

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 2:00:24 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 26, 2013 11:52:56 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 2:11:07 AM PST
Blu Boy says:
Lucy,

I have worked in a mental health crisis unit for two years. It is understandable to sympathize with the individual with the illness. It is not their fault, I know that. However, in mental health we seek to offer treatment that can both align the individual with reality and offer comfort. I advocate the same for everyone, myself included.

I was inculcated into a faith before I could name colors or shapes. I was never more happy or aware of my ability to influence others than when I came to the conclusion that I didn't know (or need to know) the answers to some of the biggest questions about humanity. I am comfortable with reality, yes it is not the same warm blanket that believing this whole universe was made with me in mind, but it is free from mental contortions.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 2:25:08 AM PST
Can you accept that, even though you don't believe there is a god that loves you, that *others* believe it? Can you respect that belief?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 4:21:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2013 4:23:54 AM PST
Astrocat says:
I don't think of 'God' as a separated being. I think of Love as 'God' in action, and that brings it home to all of us, as we are all 'God' in manifestation. So when I keep a child from getting hit by a car I am acting the Love that is innate within me, and that Love is 'God'.

Love is the Consciousness of God, and we are all That. Or, as Catherine of Genoa exclaimed, "My ME is God!"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 10:08:48 AM PST
Stan Furman says:
He-he, I like your approach: "them believers are delusional, we'll tell them the truth and it'll make them happy whether they ask for it or not!" :)))

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 11:18:39 AM PST
Blu Boy: "It's just not.... rational."

To you, it's not rational. To those who believe in a god that loves them, it is rational. And you can't accept or respect that.

People believe all sorts of things because they have reasons to do so, Blu Boy. That's what your not getting. Every idea serves a purpose, somehow, whether it's known to us or not, otherwise we wouldn't believe it. We do what works. But I'm getting off point.

It seems to me that you can't accept that others don't believe as you do... and you put them down for it.

Your post said, "I would like to know why this makes sense to anyone." I've just told you, but it seems you don't accept my answer. You nor I are not the be-all, end-all of knowledge in the universe. You *must* keep an open mind, or else you'll end up a bigot.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 11:21:20 AM PST
Nancy: "...that love is 'God' "

That's a very positive perspective.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 9:20:10 PM PST
Blu Boy says:
Lucy,

Of course I can accept that. You seem to think that asking difficult questions about theology is somehow disrespectful. Would you agree that that is accurate?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 9:23:09 PM PST
Blu Boy says:
Nancy,

What use is the word god then?

What about when 'god' tells his true believers to kill for him? What about when 'god' advocates bigotry and hatred of homosexuals?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 9:26:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2013 12:16:34 AM PST
Blu Boy says:
Stan,

I was replying to Lucy's equating people's faith with her family member's mental illness. I am not going door to door. I am not advocating anti-religious sentiments. I am on a forum asking questions. If it makes some people uncomfortable that is fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 9:32:42 PM PST
Blu Boy says:
Lucy,

As an atheist yourself, why do you interpret me asking difficult questions as disrespect? Because it is taboo? Would it be taboo of me to question the god of the jihadist?

Your answer was a non-answer. You basically asserted that religion does not need to make sense.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 9:56:29 PM PST
It makes little sense to me that a god LOVES. I would not expect it to HATE either. These are feelings in living creatures that may not have sense for something that is more absolute.

But I can easily imagine why Christianity is saturated with the love from its God. It is one of the parts of the religion that makes it so successful. Everybody loves a loving God! And it comes practically free: just write it into the dogmas, talk about it, and welcome the mental exercise of explaining the contradictions that this love introduces, for example between love and justice.

But the contradictions are also easily resolved: create a DEVIL, whose existence will justify all the absurdities of the dogma.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 10:01:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2013 10:02:29 PM PST
No, I didn't, Blu. What makes sense to you is DIFFERENT from what makes sense to others. "making sense" is interpretive.

Geesch, you're so defensive. edit: It doesn't make sense to me that you have your real name on your profile, but apparently it makes sense to you. See the difference?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 10:02:07 PM PST
Blu Boy says:
E. Bordon,

That might seem like an easy resolution but... how did the devil come to be if god didn't create it? Why would he create this devil with his infinite knowledge about what said devil would do?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 10:37:52 PM PST
Blu Boy says:
Lucy,

Ah, I see what you are saying... there is no way to know what makes actual, verifiable logical sense. No need to try.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 11:50:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2013 11:54:15 PM PST
Blake, that is NOT what I said. And you're a troll. I don't want to play this game and you are on ignore.

edit: actually, you're off ignore. I just saw your profile. You poor thing; do you really live in Salt Lake? Gawd; no wonder you're so defensive. I'm so sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 12:02:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2013 12:06:30 AM PST
Blu Boy says:
Lucy,

I don't understand exactly what button I pushed to incite this. Perhaps you don't have the ability to have a conversation without becoming frustrated and retracting what you said via deletion.

As to me being a troll, you are correct. You pulled my number on that one. Perhaps you could put me back on ignore?

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 12:08:07 AM PST
You know why you're not on ignore? Because I love the painting, Blue Boy.

Push buttons? Oh, please, you know exactly what you did. I deleted the posts because they were way too personal to be on a public forum, because they're about my mother. And I didn't want the world knowing about it. It had nothing to do with you.

You're not *on* ignore, but I'm probably not going to respond to your posts anymore. you take care over there in salt lake. gettin old ain't for sissies!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 12:14:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2013 12:14:54 AM PST
Blu Boy says:
Lucy,

Well, it has been an illuminating experience for me (and, I would imagine for anyone else reading this thread). Just to be clear though, defending people's right to be ignorant is a strange way to spend your time, in my opinion.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1650 8 days ago
Jesus probably didn't exist. Brian Bethune in response to Bart Ehrhman 3505 14 minutes ago
Even if There Were a 'God,' No Human Could Know It 2901 17 minutes ago
atheist church 551 17 minutes ago
How can atheism be true or false? 919 23 minutes ago
Creationism is Sad 660 28 minutes ago
nondualism 380 32 minutes ago
Another 10,000 Quotes... 7030 54 minutes ago
Stop calling the Xtian god Jesus. 24 1 hour ago
Life 982 1 hour ago
Today in Muslim History 8676 2 hours ago
Noah's Ark - the "WTH?"Thread 238 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  100
Initial post:  Feb 26, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions