Customer Discussions > Religion forum

How would feel towards people who are teaching their children today that the Greek gods are all real and we should worship them?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 68 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2012 4:10:29 PM PST
Ponger says:
Is this OK?

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 4:16:52 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
in their own home and/or place of worship? yeah, i'm okay with that.

in public school using tax dollars? no.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 4:19:20 PM PST
if they are greeks living in greece i guess so

my kids wont be playign with theirs now

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 4:19:55 PM PST
R.M. says:
What people teach "their children" is up to them. Yes, it is o.k.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 4:29:39 PM PST
Ponger says:
Rick,
How about teaching that a certain race is subhuman?

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 4:42:49 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 4:44:58 PM PST
horse,

It was, at a minimum, taught at home.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 4:47:38 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 4:55:26 PM PST
horse,
i dont think anyone ever taught that
------------------------------------

And I said it was, AT LEAST, at home. So someone was teaching it. I think it was most likely also taught in a few schools, too. The original question was in reference to teaching a religious believe in school. Science, although theory to some, is still not a religious belief. And, you don't have to believe it, but you will need it to get out of school.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 4:59:02 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 5:13:30 PM PST
Katrina says:
Ponger says:
Is this OK?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 5:22:30 PM PST
I'd feel about the same way as I do towards parents who teach their kinds to worship any of the other deities humans have worshiped.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 5:46:50 PM PST
horse,

Then the statement and "we should worship them" doesn't include people outside those teaching their children? Okay, but I disagree.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 7:49:20 PM PST
Astrocat says:
As far as recognizing the gods, I have no problem with that. I've always been a kind of polytheist.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 7:54:36 PM PST
Ponger says:
How about if a parent teaches their child to go to church and not the hospital when they are very ill?

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 5:59:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 6:00:00 AM PST
Alan says:
It would be not only acceptable but desirable as long as it were only the true Greek Gods that were taught. I wouldn't want innocent children to be exposed to any the inferior Roman impostor Gods. I have strong reservations about the worship of Odin and the Norse Gods, but I do think, on balance, these can be taught as long as it is made clear that, although worthy, they are but a shadow of the true Gods of Olympus.

P.S. It is nothing but a slanderous rumour that it is possible to bribe the Oracle at Delphi. There is no truth in this accusation at all, in spite of the 'so called' evidence.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:46:01 PM PST
Ariex says:
Ponger says: "Is this OK?"

Ariex: I don't see this as any worse than those who teach their kids that the earth is 6000 years old and that evolution is from the devil. Unless, of course, they also teach their kids to blow up infidels.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:56:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 1:58:24 PM PST
Bubba says:
It is still being taught at home, in private schools, and in churches, and it causes, among other thing; bullying of gays and bashing of gays.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:14:47 PM PST
Astrocat says:
That's not Greek Gods, Ponger, that's another, wholly different issue, which has been addressed by the courts in nearly all the states and always deemed wrong because it interferes with the child's right to health care.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:49:14 PM PST
Ponger says:
We are talking about what is Ok to teach your children. Christian Science is rather anti-science and teaches healing is done via spiritual means rather than via medicine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 5:04:57 PM PST
quert says:
Adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in 1959:

The Declaration of the Rights of the Child 

* 1. The right to equality, without distinction on account of race, religion or national origin.
* 2. The right to special protection for the child's physical, mental and social development.
* 3. The right to a name and a nationality.
* 4. The right to adequate nutrition, housing and medical services.
* 5. The right to special education and treatment when a child is physically or mentally handicapped.
* 6. The right to understanding and love by parents and society.
* 7. The right to recreational activities and free education.
* 8. The right to be among the first to receive relief in all circumstances.
* 9. The right to protection against all forms of neglect, cruelty and exploitation.
* 10. The right to be brought up in a spirit of understanding, tolerance, friendship among peoples, and universal brotherhood.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 5:08:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 5:09:13 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Well, first you specified Greek Gods.

I don't agree with Christian Science or with faith healing in general. I think that if an adult wants to practice such things that's their right, but children should be protected until they are able to decide for themselves. The "Declaration of the Rights of the Child" (see Quert's post above) spells it out quite well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:31:27 PM PST
Ponger says:
Should children be told they will suffer in Hell forever if they don't believe in their parent's God?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:39:00 PM PST
Jack Vix says:
Ah come on, it's nice and toasty. Warm flames and loved ones, it's not that bad. It will only scare you if you're afraid of demons. They're so smiley, how could one fear them?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:40:09 PM PST
Jack,

The fear of the colour red???
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions