Customer Discussions > Religion forum

A perfect example of religion retarding our advancement

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 13, 2013 9:29:00 AM PST
Taken directly from http://gma.yahoo.com/teacher-fired-supporting-gay-marriage-182156124--abc-news-topstories.html

An Ohio Catholic school administrator who was fired for supporting gay marriage on his personal blog says his faith is unshaken and he has no regrets for taking a stance on the issue.

"My point was I wish I had time to care who married each other but I don't," Mike Moroski, 34, told ABCNews.com.

On Monday, the 12-year teaching veteran was fired from his job as dean of student life at Purcell Marian High School in Cincinnati for "public postings" that "directly contradict well-known teachings of the Catholic Church," according to a letter sent from the Archdiocese of Cincinnati to students and parents.

Church officials said they would not comment on personnel issues but did provide ABCNews.com with the letter.

Moroski, who is married to a woman, said he posted a quote on Facebook from President Obama's inauguration speech supporting marriage equality. It sparked a public discussion with a friend who had an opposing view.

"My friend -- part of the reason I love him so much -- is we have extremely different views on a lot of things, even if we're both Catholic," he said.

When Moroski started a personal blog in late January, he used the discussion as an inspiration for a post titled "Choose Your Battles."

"I unabashedly believe that gay people SHOULD be allowed to marry. Ethically, morally and legally I believe this," Moroski wrote on Jan. 27. "Gay marriage is NOT something of which to be afraid."

The principal of Purcell Marian was made aware of the post of Jan. 31, and soon, Moroski said, word made its way to the archdiocese.

He said he was given an ultimatum.

"They said, 'You take it down, recant your statements and agree to publicly not disparage the archdiocese,'" he said.

In order to keep his job, Moroski would also have to create an "action plan" for himself detailing how he planned to live with morality, he said.

"I really, really believe in my conscience and the morals I've developed in my lifetime in the Catholic Church," he said. "I knew from the get-go I wasn't going to take [the post] down."

On Monday he received a phone call telling him he was terminated.

"I definitely never thought I would lose my job over something like this," Moroski said. "I have experienced God more in the past week than my entire life. I feel like I'm on the right track."

Moroski said he isn't sure what's in store for him next, but he said he already misses his students.

"Because of the stance I'm taking, I can't be with them, but I hope they know I'm doing it to reinforce what I've taught for 12 years," he said. "Be kind to everyone."

This is exactly the kind of thinking that's kept people clinging to ancient myths as a guide to living. It's ridiculous - preposterous - in this day and age to be be afraid of something that doesn't even affect you. If you feel that gay marriage does affect you, that's a personal issue. It should be dealt with on a personal level, not by using some outdated herd mentality that dictates your responses to a perceived problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 9:40:45 AM PST
goblue says:
<<RagingBuddhist: This is exactly the kind of thinking that's kept people clinging to ancient myths as a guide to living>>

Where is your evidence its only myth?

Where is your evidence opposing homosexuality is "wrong"?

Why so intolerant of those with a different POV? Is that what the Buddha would do?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 9:46:57 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 9:57:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2013 9:58:45 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
That's not what troubles me about the teacher's situation. What I find so troubling is that he lost his job over stating a personal opinion and was told he could only retain his job if he denied his personal beliefs and underwent "moral correction". That is an example of the cultic nature of religion and what the Catholic Chirch seems to becoming more like every single day. One can no longer be embraced by the institution if one expresses a personal opinion that is contrary to even a single tenet of the church.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 9:58:18 AM PST
whomper: booda is a meaningless idol that atheists worship

Rachel: That's one of the silliest things you've written.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 9:59:54 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
The silliest? On what scale are you attempting to judge horsie's silliness? LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 10:01:13 AM PST
Max Flash says:
Has anybody else noticed that ferengi's posts always receive one 'yes' vote? I wonder if he has a phantom fan out there or a sock puppet.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 10:02:41 AM PST
Bubba says:
I think that womper went to elementary school in the 1990s; at that time kids were being taught to spell phonetically, they learned to mis-spell words, just like womper.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 10:15:30 AM PST
I'm not claiming to be an expert on his silliness, but that's the silliest one of his I've personally read.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 10:16:19 AM PST
I hadn't noticed that, but the post above has 2 yes votes. Jesus, if he existed, wept.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 10:16:44 AM PST
It's possible that he is still in school, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 10:23:32 AM PST
SK - That's pretty much what I meant by dealing with issues on a personal level and not having your thoughts dictated to you through a herd mentality. Of course I don't condone it, but I do understand why the Church fired him. Religions are self-serving institutions, and anything that doesn't conform to their doctrine threatens their existence. That's why I started this thread. Even when the issue at hand is a clearly senseless prejudice, it (again) does nothing but retard the advancement of the human species.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 10:33:44 AM PST
Raging...,

While I agree with your sentiments, I think your comments are somewhat off target. To wit:

The only quote from the RCC hierarchy in the OP article is a paraphrase by Moroski: "'You take it down, recant your statements and agree to publicly not disparage the archdiocese...'." If this paraphrase is accurate, it's clear that the effort is to defend the archdiocese and, by extension, Catholic doctrine (which, by the way, is not bible based), not a particular mythology. While the demand ramifies into defending the myths upon which the RCC bases its authority, the article you quote doesn't present enough information to suggest that as the main thrust of the Archbishop's demands. (Let it be noted that I've checked the article for links to other sources and documentation; there are no such links.)

Yes, it's a good example of one way that powerful organizations bully their members and employees into supporting their legitimacy. The RCC, and other religious organizations, historically have used far more forceful persuasions.

That the RCC, the rest of christianity, and other religious sects are based on mythology is an established fact, despite known nay-sayers. While some agreement exists about, say, the actual existence of various individuals around whom such organizations are found, there is little to no evidence that their teachings have been transmitted through time in any pure state; there is little evidence that claims made about them ("demi-god," "did miracles," "spoke with a deity," "rose from the dead...") were true; there is little evidence that the personal interactions reported ("... and on this rock I will build my church...") actually happened. There is evidence that the literature has been tampered with, amended, rewritten, redacted, corrupted, and distorted by, usually, clumsy or well-meaning transcriptionists. There is evidence that original source material (e.g. "Q") is common to some writers, meaning that accounts are not truly independent of each other and, therefore, cannot be used to corroborate the stories. There is evidence that many of the earliest writers were not direct witnesses to the stories mentioned (e.g., Paul of Tarsus) and that, therefore, the stories must, at best, be labeled legends. There is evidence that early sources were in contact with other traditions and likely adopted some of the mythology of those traditions into the tale of central interest to the source writer/storyteller -- hence the similarity of elements of the Jesus myth to those of Attis, Osiris, Hercules, etc.

While I won't deny that there may be some facts behind the foundations of religious institutions (e.g., Joseph Smith is pretty well attested), I don't think it can be rationally denied that a network of myths also interweaves those foundation stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 10:44:39 AM PST
goblue says:
<<<Charles F. Mielke's: That the RCC, the rest of christianity, and other religious sects are based on mythology is an established fact>>

Care to show us these "facts"?

<< there is little evidence ....>>

YOur evidence sir?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 10:58:33 AM PST
andthe...,

Yeah. Buddha's very much like the cross in that regard.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 10:58:50 AM PST
CFM: "While I agree with your sentiments, I think your comments are somewhat off target... the article you quote doesn't present enough information to suggest that as the main thrust of the Archbishop's demands."

I think "You take it down, recant your statements and agree to publicly not disparage the archdiocese" says plenty. Even if there was more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, an Inquisition-like statement like that is a perfect example of the outdated stance religion takes on 21st century issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 11:00:04 AM PST
S. Kessler,

Jesus introduced the world to mind-control: "Insomuch as you have thought it in your heart..."

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 11:21:11 AM PST
Eric Preston says:
We can only hope the the next pope has a much stronger conscious then his predecessors and realizes that treating people that believe in life liberty and the pursuit of happiness as sinners is not a good moral stance and one that should evolve.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 11:24:38 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
"booda is a meaningless idol that atheists worship"

Even dumber than usual, horsie... and that's saying something.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 11:26:37 AM PST
Ataraxia says:
"<<<Charles F. Mielke's: That the RCC, the rest of christianity, and other religious sects are based on mythology is an established fact>>

Care to show us these "facts"? "

Sure.

The History of the Bible: The Making of the New Testament Canon

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 11:42:15 AM PST
It won't happen. The RCC is one of the most conservative organizations in existence. All the cardinals are handpicked by the Pope, so they reflect his conservative views. The RCC is a self-perpetuating conservative organization. I have heard older Catholics rail about Vatican II. It won't change ever. They don't realize that if they don't meet the needs of their parishioners, they will begin hemorrhaging believers. There's a parallel with the GOP.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 12:18:47 PM PST
RRR,

You can take the link between the Pope and the Cardinals one step further: not only does the Pope hand pick Cardinals, the Cardinals elect the succeeding Pope; the cycle of conservatism is thus perpetuated. John XXIII was quite an anomaly.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 12:24:45 PM PST
Ataraxia,

Knowing goblue/ferengi's remarkably predictable responses, I choose not to respond to him/her. I'm glad you provided the link to "The History of the Bible..." but I predict that goblue/ferengi will dismiss it out of hand. Meanwhile, any honest scholar with even a modicum of familiarity with religious history will find nothing remarkable in my comment: the recipe for any religion, it seems, is some mixture of fact, legend, and myth with a leven of moral guidance to make it relevant to peoples' daily lives.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 12:27:01 PM PST
David A. says:
"This is exactly the kind of thinking that's kept people clinging to ancient myths as a guide to living. It's ridiculous - preposterous - in this day and age to be be afraid of something that doesn't even affect you. If you feel that gay marriage does affect you, that's a personal issue. It should be dealt with on a personal level, not by using some outdated herd mentality that dictates your responses to a perceived problem."

Sorry raging, but had I only read the last paragraph, and had I not seen it posted on amazon with two-thirds supporting you, I could have just as easily assumed that the outdated herd mentality is what causes people to jump onto every new bandwagon that comes along. If it doesn't affect you, should you fear retaining the definition of traditional marriage? And are the liberal religious groups that recognize same-sex marriage also retarding progress?
(What, actually does this have to do with religion per se, any more than most aches have to do with Stalin?

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 12:30:00 PM PST
"but I predict that goblue/ferengi will dismiss it out of hand"

Gee... you must be psychic : - )

There are some posts I don't see anymore. The repetition is boring.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 69 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  72
Total posts:  1724
Initial post:  Feb 13, 2013
Latest post:  May 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions