Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Stuff that should have been in the Bible

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 108 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2012 8:15:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 8:26:07 PM PST
I recently started a parallel discussion about stuff that should not be in the Bible and labelled it "useless scripture". The corollary, of course, is that if scripture is indeed God-breathed, there should have been stuff in there that it took mankind an untold number of years and infinite labor to uncover.

For example instead of Deuteronomy 20:16, "However, in the cities of the nations the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes" what if we read, "Wash your hands after you go potty"(or whatever the equivalent Hebrew euphemism was) or, "The sun is a giant ball of gas very, very far away".

What if we read of instructions that were within the technological reach of the ancient Israelites such as how to make soap or how to make a steam engine? Would that not have been far more useful than portions such as Deut. 22:28-29 that enjoins a rapist to marry his victim?

What other stuff should have been in the Bible that was within the intellectual and technological grasp of the ancient Israelites that would have pointed to the divine origin of the Bible? Keep it courteous and clean, please.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 8:51:54 PM PST
Conley Thorn says:
"DOC" S.: What other stuff should have been in the Bible that...would have pointed to the divine origin of the Bible?

THORN: "Send thee emissaries in ships across the great waters, 400 leagues to the west and northward, to a place called Athens, for there I will soon engender mortal minds of my choosing with an improved way of thinking, from which you, my first chosen, may benefit greatly.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 9:53:55 PM PST
Ponger says:
Disease is spread by small germs and can be minimized by clean living habits and minimizing contact with sick people.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 10:14:21 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 15, 2013 7:32:12 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 6:52:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 8:52:18 AM PST
Prof,
What about things that humans need? Why not throw in a verse or two that addresses health and hygiene like the poster above suggests or speaks to social needs? Here's one for example, "Slavery is absolutely and forever forbidden". What a boon such a verse would have been to legions of slaves in historic times and, indeed, even now. Instead, we read in Exod. 21: 20-21 that a master who beats his slave so hard that he or she dies immediately must be punished but if the slave survives for a day or two, the master can walk away scot-free. How, then, can you say that the Bible is self-sufficient?
Doc

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 8:01:55 AM PST
Ponger says:
Doc, How is your book related to the OP selling?

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 8:51:45 AM PST
It's brand new. Would appreciate any feedback if you get a chance to read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 9:17:55 AM PST
SinSeeker says:
Sir Doctor Professor Raichu says: "The bible has absolutely everything that it needs."

Yes, but does it have anything at all that humans need?

Sir Duke Professor Doctor Doctor Sinseeker, PhD PhD OBE KCMG GCMG

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 9:46:55 AM PST
Doc - "I recently started a parallel discussion about stuff that should not be in the Bible and labelled it "useless scripture". "

I'm dying to know if all the stuff (punishable by death, of course) about shellfish and mixed fabrics are to be thrown out, but the stuff about gays is still relevant.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 10:34:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 10:37:48 AM PST
Mark,
If Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever, then all the commandments given in the OT remain in force even today. Remember, he did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it. Moreover, he specifically stated that not jot or tittle of the law would pass till "everything is accomplished" so I am afraid the gays are in for it. You'd better avoid shellfish, mixed fabrics and goat kids boiled in their mothers' milk while you're at it (a mini-Pascal's wager).
Doc

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 9:57:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 9:57:43 AM PST
How about this one: All things are made up of tiny particles called "atoms".
Doc

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 10:45:23 AM PST
Ariex says:
Sir Doctor Professor Richu says: "The bible has absolutely everything that it needs."

Ariex: Well, everything it needs to show itself as a product of primitive human minds, that is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 10:49:01 AM PST
Ariex says:
"Doc" Skeptic, MD says: "What about things that humans need? Why not throw in a verse or two that addresses health and hygiene like the poster above suggests or speaks to social needs? Here's one for example, "Slavery is absolutely and forever forbidden". What a boon such a verse would have been to legions of slaves in historic times and, indeed, even now."

Ariex: I suppose this would be outside the bounds of the qualifier, (that they would be able to grasp), but it seems to me that something to the effect that human beings of both sexes should be treated as equals, with respect, and that everyone has basic rights. The Hebrew women were apparently about as bad off as Muslim women are today as far as rights go.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 12:39:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 12:54:08 PM PST
Ariex,
Since the edict that all men and women are created equal (if present in the scriptures) would have been received as holy writ, that would have ensured compliance with the precept even if the ancients were not able to grasp the concept of sexual equality. The absence of such precepts in the received text is part of what convinced me that the RT is non-divine in origin.

Try this one on for size, "Monarchy or any other form of hereditary succession is now and forever forbidden".
Doc

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 5:20:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 5:22:15 PM PST
1. Don't own slaves
1A. Women are the moral and intellectual equals of men, and should be treated as such.
2. Wash your hands before touching your food or after touching someone who is ill
3. Give birth under clean surroundings, and make sure the bedding and everyone's hands have been thoroughly washed
4. Disease is caused by tiny animals which are killed by washing
5. Dispose of your bodily wastes well away from your food, source of water, or living areas
6. (List of ways of preserving food)
7. (List of medicinal plants and their uses)

That'd be a good start...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 9:26:11 PM PST
Good one, Michael! Where were you when the Pentateuch was being composed? Apropos of no. 7, care to guess how many medicines are listed in our current Bible?
Doc

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 9:33:30 PM PST
"Apropos of no. 7, care to guess how many medicines are listed in our current Bible?"

I've no idea. However: Medicinal Plants of the Bible

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 8:39:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013 8:40:15 AM PST
Michael,
The following appear to comprise the entire Bible pharmacopeia:
1. Balm of Gilead (a topical analgesic?) in Jer. 8:22
2. Mandrakes and caperberries as aphrodisiacs in Gen. 30:14 and Eccles. 12:5 respectively
3. The fig poultice in 2 King 20:7
4. The Good Samaritan's oil and wine as antiseptics in Luke 10:34
5. Myrrh (as an analgesic?) in Mark 15:23
Why did God not instruct the ancient Hebrews in other herbal remedies such as foxglove for "dropsy", willow bark (the source of aspirin) for fevers and aches, etc.?
Doc

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 1:52:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013 1:54:25 PM PST
I've got a good one. When instructing Moses on the exodus to the Promised Land, why did God not say, "When thou comest up from Egypt to the Jordan River, turn right"?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 5:36:23 PM PST
brunumb says:
Didn't God deliberately send them all over the place for forty years because he was miffed?

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 5:40:28 PM PST
brunumb says:
How about:
"Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name JESUS, which being the name everyone on earth will know him by.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 6:48:24 PM PST
Brunumb,
Yes, God did make the Israelites wander in the desert for forty years because he was angry with them, still in the end he could have told them to turn east when they came to the Jordan river. After all, black gold is far better than milk and honey! Think of all the tithes YHWH missed out on and that Allah now enjoys.
Doc

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 7:45:32 PM PST
brunumb says:
Ah, I understand your point now. Thanks for the enlightenment.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 7:49:23 PM PST
Bubba says:
It would have been nice if he had included the due date.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 7:54:31 PM PST
Amy Hall says:
11th commandment: "Thou shalt go into the fields with an atheist and have a cranial enema." That's not mine, I stole it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  108
Initial post:  Dec 30, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions