Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Who does your religion hate?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 185 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 21, 2012 12:39:00 AM PDT
DRM says:
It's OKAY to hate evil.

It's actually a good thing to hate evil.

No?

Do you LOVE evil?

Mercy, Grace, and Forgiveness are important as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 12:49:54 AM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Reply to MLC:

Have you ever read the Old Testament?

Do you really believe that the cruel killing of the "only begotten son of god" absolves others of their cruel murders? Has Adolph Hitler maybe been saved? Would you again trust a fellow Christian whom you have forgiven for betraying your trust?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 1:06:26 AM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Reply to Cilantron:

Thank you for your clear and candid response.

My interest is in reasoning with people who accept hatred as part of their religion. Many people don't even know the evils made possible, or may even be encouraged, by their own religions. I can see that you are already awake to these issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 1:46:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2012 1:53:40 AM PDT
Acts5v29 says:
Good morning,

The WatchTower released a study article instructing its members not just to hate, but to pray for the death of those who had left them and who oppose their organisation.

Interestingly, the scriptures say the opposite: when the arcangel Michael was disputing with *the devil himself* over Moses' burial (the devil was trying to make his grave location known and turn it into a kind of shrine) Michael did not even rebuke the devil but left everything to God with the words: "May Jehovah rebuke you". The moral is: hatred has no part in the heart of a lover of God.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 4:40:17 AM PDT
Joe Anthony says:
BILL MCLEAN says:

"Who does your religion hate?"

I say:

Tell us, Bill: how long have you been cheating on your wife?

While about 80% of all questions are actually statements in disguise; your question is particularly loaded.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 4:18:29 PM PDT
esanta's post:
I hate it when mormons or jehovah's witnesses ring my dorbell at 9:30 on a sunday.
============================
Must be the Jehovah Witnesses. As a LDS missionary, I NEVER went door to door on Sunday Morning. We were always attending church. ;-)

esanta's post:
You can be smug all you want in your certainty you know the One True God,
==============================
7 Thus came the voice of the Lord unto me, saying: All who have died without a knowledge of this gospel, who would have received it if they had been permitted to tarry, shall be heirs of the celestial kingdom of God;
8 Also all that shall die henceforth without a knowledge of it, who would have received it with all their hearts, shall be heirs of that kingdom;
9 For I, the Lord, will judge all men according to their works, according to the desire of their hearts.
10 And I also beheld that all children who die before they arrive at the years of accountability are saved in the celestial kingdom of heaven. http://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/137?lang=eng

Brother Niv

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 4:54:59 PM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Reply to DRM:

I'm just asking a question. If you don't know the answer that's okay.

As for your question to me: I understand that people inherit their genes and do not pick their environments nor their personal experiences. Freedom is largely, if not completely, an illusion. This process has even formed me and my beliefs. Because I came to understand this, I am no longer able to hate. I still get angry; but anger subsides in the face of this logic. I have also learned that hatred is toxic to the hater. The positive actions you mention are up-building for the soul.

But when nothing beneficial can be done directly, I think It's best to believe that communication and reasoning might be helpful.

Thank you for the opportunity to express myself in this way.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 5:23:54 PM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Reply to Acts5v29:

Your observation is valid. Organized religions have mixed and often contradictory messages. I guess some of these contradictions could be classified as oxymoron's.

I think it's important to understand that most individuals harbor many oxymoron's that are independent of any religion. In fact, humans have formed all religions.

As for Jehovah's Witnesses: like most religions, they have many sincere believers who are guided helpfully by their religion. Of course they also harbor those that are present only to shear the sheep and take advantage of innocence. Officially Jehovah's Witnesses try to hate no one. Unofficially, many in the congregations do harbor hate internally. They spread gossip about fellow Witnesses and spread (often false) accusations about the world in general. They're just people. All people who are inclined to join a religion try to ignore their shortcomings.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 5:29:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2012 5:30:14 PM PDT
Bubba says:
Jehovah's Witnesses do hate; they hate gays. JWs are no better any other gay hating fundy church when it comes to GLBTs.

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 5:36:06 PM PDT
JOHN DOE says:
After following the "Was Mary Sinless" thread it became apparant that the posters really enjoy slappinjg each other around - they have an excuse for ever mean and vile thing they do - they even believe that popes have a devine privilage that allows them to break the Ten Commandments and kill people - AKA the Crusades. Religious zealots are very scary people - they give hypocrisy a new meaning.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 5:43:57 PM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Reply to Joe Anthony:

I could answer your question simply by saying: I have never cheated on my wife. Just as most men do cheat on their wives, I remember that most religions have historically had periods that were hateful and destructive. Additionally, I see in the media many hateful things that purportedly originate with religions. I'm not trying to be argumentative. I think my question is reasonable and not accusatory as you imagine.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 5:48:43 PM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Reply to Bubba:

Officially you are wrong; in practice you are right. In fact, no bachelor is likely to last very long in their midst - straight or gay.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 6:03:37 PM PDT
Bubba says:
Their official published policy is to practice bigotry against gays.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 9:29:25 PM PDT
he has started this thread twice

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 10:08:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 22, 2012 10:10:02 AM PDT
esanta says:
So maybe it was on a saturday, but I did get the visit of a pair of mormon guys in the morning on a week-end, I'm not making that up. And boy did they get an earful.

Yours in Flying Spaghetti Monster Worship.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 6:29:32 PM PDT
So, you have two Saturday (or Sunday) weekend? ;-)

Brother Niv

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 6:49:44 PM PDT
Bill McLean says:
So?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 7:07:08 PM PDT
esanta says:
No idea what you're trying to say, magic underpants boy.

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 8:42:30 PM PDT
http://www.amazon.com/forum/religion/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef__np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1M9TK6UGAX6EO&cdPage=2&cdThread=Tx38BW6YBU1S09B#CustomerDiscussionsNew

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 8:43:29 PM PDT
that is in violation of amazon rules

once is plenty
maybe once every year

but two going at the same time only makes them both useless

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 8:44:23 PM PDT
logical fallacy

see my answer in your duplicate thread

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 8:58:08 PM PDT
You had confused Saturday for Sunday. So I thought maybe both days are the same to you. Whether they be both Sunday or Saturday in your mind. ;-)

Brother Niv

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 9:01:51 PM PDT
esanta says:
Yes, they're both week-end days where I get to sleep in late. They are completely interchangeable to me. Still not seeing your point, assuming you have one.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 9:06:07 PM PDT
I was just teasing.

Brother Niv

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 12:30:54 AM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Reply to In reply to your post on Oct 22, 2012 8:43:29 PM PDT
andthehorseirodeinontoo?

I confess, I erred. It was a mistake. I forgot. I apologize to you and everyone else I have harmed by my error.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1354 20 hours ago
What if God is... ? 265 1 minute ago
If Jesus was Jewish, why don't Jews beleive in Jesus? 1859 2 minutes ago
Dear atheists, 9118 2 minutes ago
Is homosexuality a 'good thing' ? 6433 2 minutes ago
Dear theists, 1518 7 minutes ago
Today in Muslim History 1031 7 minutes ago
A journey through the Test of Truth - Skoorby and Goblue have a conversation 351 12 minutes ago
goblue says: I can prove theism true. 801 13 minutes ago
What do the terms "almost atheist" and "almost theist" mean to you? 173 16 minutes ago
Science II 4916 19 minutes ago
St George. Patron Saint of England. 8 25 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  185
Initial post:  Oct 5, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions