Customer Discussions > Religion forum

End of the world did not happen .....again

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 238 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:56:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 12:49:50 PM PST
Scientific Mind,

As you may know, I'm not a believer. But I'll point out that, among further complications, there is the claim made by adults in the child's life that the bible is "the word of god." This, of course, convinces people older than 5 years, but only until they're willing and able to question authority.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 3:09:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 3:17:26 AM PST
The word "until" cannot be inclusively applied. For some of us, your sentence could be changed to read "if they're willing", and leaving out the last phrase, seen as a cheek where the Bible is concerned.

Therefore, to cover all circumstances, you would have to provide an a) sentence for your version, and a b) sentence for my suggested version.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:13:49 AM PST
Songbird says:
I don't actually know a single person who believed the world would end yesterday. Were there any?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:17:12 AM PST
Bubba says:
I am sure that another end of the world will be announced very soon.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:18:59 AM PST
Bubba says:
Now I am going to have to buy a ham for Xmas dinner. I was putting it off just in case I didn't need to buy one.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 11:37:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 11:40:51 AM PST
SinSeeker says:
The Mayans weren't very good at predicting the future.
If they were, there'd still be a Mayan empire ....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 12:24:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 1:53:07 PM PST
RE: The Mayans weren't very good at predicting the future.
If they were, there'd still be a Mayan empire ....

All empires come and go, and while I haven't followed this silliness very closely, from what I've seen, it wasn't Mayans who predicted this most recent Doomsday. Their descendants simply need a new calendar, as most of us do every December 31.

As for the Mayans, it seems that their descendants have mostly been amused as they raked in extra tourism income through all of this. They can thank the crackpots who put forth the idea of a coming Doomsday for that.

And, actually, maybe *those* crackpots weren't so dumb, as a lot of them are laughing as well....to the bank, that is. They may have lost their integrity in the eyes of rational people, but they probably see it as more of a tradeoff, a shrewd business move. And they've got to be laughing as well at those who've more or less followed this pattern: a year or two ago, they were saying "12/21 will be the end" and then, a month or so ago, "I don't know if it will end on 12/21, but the process may start, it's an important date".....and then, a week or so ago, as they backpedaled fiercely, "I don't know when, but something's going to happen sometime."

Yes, some are now on record with the notion that something will happen *sometime*. Talk about going out on a limb....

If you haven't encountered any who've followed that pattern, you haven't been to the Christianity Forum. That's where you can find some who weren't very good at predicting the future.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 12:42:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 12:53:56 PM PST
Clarissa,

Gee, and I thought _I_ was a language nazi!

Since, it seems, everyone else understood my message perfectly, your objection is meaningless. Were you aware that your message could be changed to read, "I'm an arrogant twit with feelings of inferiority"?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 1:55:37 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:01:18 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:02:32 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:07:02 PM PST
RE: 12/21/12 was the beginning of the 'New Age'/Messianic Age - the Christ has returned. I strongly suggest that everyone take this seriously.

Parody is not your strong suit.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:09:10 PM PST
Charles,

"God is good", GOD=GOOD.

We now have scientific proof of GOD(7_4) and Jesus(74) being the promised Messiah(74)/'God incarnate'. Can your ego handle that you've been wrong about this?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:12:03 PM PST
barbW says:
is he a baby?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:12:04 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:12:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 2:13:38 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:24:15 PM PST
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt because I don't know you. My mistake.

But being serious and having people take you seriously are two very different things....

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 2:28:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 2:29:54 PM PST
RE: No. I - the Christ - am 53-years-old.

Err -- never mind.

There are other ways to get attention, in case you weren't aware. Seeing how many "no" votes you can pile up is not one of the better ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:40:12 PM PST
Ariex says:
J. Russell says: "Despite predictions of The Mayan Armageddon, the world hasn't ended. How do you feel?"

Ariex: DANG! The world didn't end and I missed it again. Now I'm really bummed out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 5:21:35 PM PST
tokolosi says:
"the Christ has returned."
"No. I - the Christ - am 53-years-old."

You can't be -- the schizophrenic homeless guy I sort of befriended last year is. He told me. He also told me how he would save the world. He offered me eternal life. He spoke in tongues. He scared the sh-- out of me. I believed him.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 6:18:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 6:27:58 PM PST
Please advise me on how to take this more seriously.

I've been trying with all the strength at my disposal, but I just can't seem to keep a straight face.

Now, you've got me afraid that Jesus will hate me if he sees me smiling.

Thanks a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 6:21:30 PM PST
Of course you were.

Nobody is ever Einsteins milliner or Jesus' next door neighbour in their past lives.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 6:23:00 PM PST
Nothing quite adds up like numerology.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 6:27:12 PM PST
Jesus you skamp, is that you?

Wot you doin' on an internet forum when you should be out on the mountaintop wrestling with Beelzebub?

Stop slacking off and get to work ensuring our eternal salvation.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:57:59 PM PST
Re Bubba, 12-22 8:18 AM: " I was putting it off just in case I didn't need to buy [a ham]." What would you have done with the money instead?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  238
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions