Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Where was God today? Not in CT

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:29:26 PM PST
Gneiss Guy says:
You assume "God" if there is one spared some children and failed to spare others. But if as is taught properly by both Jewish, Christian and Islamic theologians humans are moral free agents. "God" will allow us to make our own descions and act them out and face the consequences of them. Based upon that "God" neither spared nor abandoned those children. Their fate was in the hands of the Gunman. "God" can give me the knowledge of good and evil, I have the responsibility for which I chose.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:29:56 PM PST
My point exactly.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 8:31:56 PM PST
"Nobody can do anything about evil. Only god can". And he didn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:38:32 PM PST
I don't assume anything. I ask logical questions. Why are people praising god that their children were spared if they are not also cursing him for the ones who died? No minds will be changed from any of these posts but I felt the need to speak about that hypocrisy. My loving thoughts are with the families involved, and everyone reading these words

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 8:46:10 PM PST
G. Burke says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:54:09 PM PST
Gneiss Guy says:
I mourn for the loss of the victims, and even for the shooter as I fear he was mentally and no one was able to find a way to get him treatment. The real Grace that will come from this is from people reaching out to one another and helping each other to heal. Some will say this is "God" acting through us, others will say that "God" has nothing to do with this. I just know this is our chance to show that we can be "Little lower than the angels."

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 9:03:01 PM PST
Ponger says:
Let's cut federal programs that help the mentally ill. Let's make it easy for people to get guns. Let God protect us from ourselves. How can anyone worship a God that is all powerful but let's children get shot? You can stick your head in the Holy sand and argue free will, but that does not explain why God lets a tornado kill children. The possibilities are: (1) God does not care about us, (2) God is evil and (3) there is no God. I rather not worship a God that does not care, or even worst, one that is evil.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:14:26 PM PST
Gneiss Guy says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:21:10 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:26:41 PM PST
I am by no means looking to score points, least of all regarding the shooting. I am just asking questions. But if you are so weak in your "pro-deist" faith that you cannot bear to hear questions, you go right ahead and be nasty. That righteous indignation you show adds nothing to this discussion but you have free will to post whatever makes you feel all morally superior.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:32:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 9:34:23 PM PST
Ponger says:
Brian,
If there is something wrong or untrue about my statement please correct it. Your being rude does not help, or show that you have learned anything from your God. I am willing to pay extra taxes to help the mentally ill. I am also willing to put better limits on guns. What are you willing to do besides be rude?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:37:17 PM PST
I am certainly ready to help in any small way that I can and I will do so as soon as the opportunity arises. Are only those who agree with you allowed to post? Coversations such as this are going on all over the country, ideas are being exchanged, civil interactions are ongoing. Except, it seems, when you are involved.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:00:12 PM PST
Gneiss Guy says:
my point is what are you doing trying to rack up debating points about "God" when this is the time to look for ways we can reach out to a shattered community, look to gather the facts about what really did happen and then get our lawmakers to enact legistation that will make this less likely to happen in the future. Beotching and moaning about whether or not people believe in "God" gets none of this done.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:11:26 PM PST
Gneiss Guy says:
My point is that at a time like this, coming people with a club is not going to open their minds to your arguments, but harden their current views. Jas this has hardened your views. You have to thalk to them when they don't feel stressed or threatened in a way that respects their beliefs to have a chance of changing their mindset. So standing on a soap box right now may feel good, but how well are you actually communicating with the other side?

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 10:19:18 PM PST
1874Sharps says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:26:28 PM PST
And once again, I will do whatever I can to help. I am not trying to "rack up points". I am having a conversation on a subject that is being discussed across the country tonight. It sounds to me like you are just looking for reasons to be pissed off and rude.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:31:10 PM PST
Except for you, my conversations have been civil and tolerant.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:47:38 PM PST
Well said.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 11:04:48 PM PST
Jack Vix says:
Well, you see little Jimmy, God has an ev- er loving plan. Jesus loves you, much much more than kids in Newtown. Remember little guy, guns don't kill people they're for fun! Don't let anyone tell you that safety is more important. K, good talk little guy, now pray.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:04:58 AM PST
brunumb says:
MLC: "But no human being can do anything about evil. Only God can. He has done something about it at the cross of Christ. He is doing something about it by giving us the Holy Spirit who restrains evil."

He can make a hundred billion galaxies each with a hundred billion stars all in a single day, but restraining evil seems to be beyond his limits so that he can only manage it a little bit at a time.

MLC: "It's painful to see people misunderstand and blame God for things that are the responsibility of human beings. Don't ever forget that we have free will and we reap the results of bad choices time and time again."

No one is blaming God for the evil that has occurred. It was completely within God's power to prevent what happened without interfering with the free will of anyone, and he didn't. The perpetrator may not have been in control of his mental faculties, but we must assume that God is, and his inaction was pure negligence. The blood is therefore on his hands.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:07:59 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:28:38 AM PST
brunumb says:
But he should be held to account for his own. In this case GUILTY of negligent homicide.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 3:00:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 3:00:52 AM PST
DRM says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:24:10 AM PST
Clarissa says:
God MUST NOT be blamed for ANY of man's actions.

PJA, He is blamed for his own inaction....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:33:27 AM PST
Gneiss Guy says:
So, if the shooter turns out to have been a mentally ill atheist it would be legitimate to discuss how much his atheism had a part his perpetrating the shooting? For those whose children were spared, if they want to thank "God", let them. They are only trying to make sense of a senseless situation in a way that does not lead to despair. I really doubt except among those with an agenda this topic is being discussed. I admit I have an agenda, it is to try convince as many people on both sides that it is more important what you do than what you "believe".
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  85
Total posts:  1712
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions