Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Top 100 Quotes

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 9:19:58 AM PST
Lufer says:
"Mr [William Jennings] Bryan [who prosecuted John Scopes for teaching evolution] was an honored friend of mine, yet this need not prevent the observation that the skull with which nature endowed him visibly approached the Neanderthal type.... Those who would legislate against the teaching of evolution should also legislate against gravity, electricity and the unreasonable velocity of light, and also should introduce a clause to prevent the use of the telescope, the microscope and the spectroscope...." - Luther Burbank

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 9:26:57 AM PST
Lufer says:
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth; I came not to send peace, but a sword" - Jesus Christ (Matthew 10:34)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 9:42:14 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 9:42:26 AM PST
"Hi. My name is George Bush and I believe in fairy tales." - Bent Lee Carr, a friend of mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 10:07:19 AM PST
Peter says:
That quote is scary. But it also illustrates why Christianity is such a dangerous doctrine.

The Christian defines himself as a group or collective. It's a complete renunciation of free will, of the individual. Life is reduced to a state of being. Christianity is anti-life. The strong, the independent, the free spirit--which the collective calls "evil"--who dares stray from the flock has to be reformed or destroyed. Christianity and the individual cannot coexist. "One of us. One of us. One of us..."

"'What is love? What is creation? What is longing? What is a star?' thus asks the last man, and he blinks.

The earth has become small, and on it hops the last man, who makes everything small. His race is as in-eradicable as the flea-beetle; the last man lives longest.

'We have invented happiness,' say the last men, and they blink."
--Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 10:11:57 AM PST
Curt Fox says:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration- courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and, above all, love of the truth."

H. L. Mencken

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 10:32:21 AM PST
Lufer says:
"God screwed me so I say 'screw God.'" - Homeless guy on the Brooklyn bound A train.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 11:52:24 AM PST
'probabilist says:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 1:40:05 PM PST
Miracles happen, not in opposition to Nature,
but in opposition to what we know of Nature.
-St. Augustine

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 9:07:16 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 13, 2008 9:33:30 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 9:09:29 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 9:20:33 PM PST
Top 100

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." Albert Einstein
"A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to athiesm, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion."
Francis Bacon
"Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." Jesus

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 9:23:42 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 9:33:30 PM PST
Ice Floe says:
FBR, if your beliefs help you through life I'm glad for you, but I have to say reading what you write about your beliefs I find nothing that would encourage anyone to embrace those beliefs. You come across as believing anyone not as "enlightened" as you is a poor creature forever doomed to damnation.
An example of your arrogance:
"To Isaac Asimov I would say that he is forgiven for his bitterness and his prideful hatred toward Christians."
Who are you to decide who is to be forgiven? I thought that would be left to your God! You are the kind of person who makes me hope that if there is a heaven and you're going to SOMEHOW end up there that heaven has separate wings for self righteous weasels like you and human beings!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 10:03:58 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2008 8:36:28 AM PST
Bryan Borich says:
"Magic is the manipulation of energy using Mind and Will" - unknown

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2008 8:40:56 AM PST
Bryan Borich says:
>"As said by Max Lucado, God does not send people to Hell, people volunteer."

Might be trite, but there is a truth in it, LOL......

(though hell is not what most people think it is)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2008 3:44:54 PM PST
'probabilist says:
"Champions take chances, and pressure is a privilege." -Billie Jean King

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2008 6:25:53 PM PST
Lufer says:
"The essence of Christianity is told us in the Garden of Eden story. The subtext is, All the suffering you have is because you wanted to find out what was going on. You could be in the Garden of Eden if you had just kept your f***ing mouth shut and hadn't asked any questions.... 'Get smart and I'll f**k you over,' sayeth the Lord. Is this not an absolutely anti-intellectual religion?" - Frank Zappa

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2008 7:02:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2008 7:21:03 PM PST
Seven Lights says:
The religious people here are always whining and screeching about how their beliefs aren't respected, and how nobody is nice to each other... Well, read on...

"You say you're supposed to be nice to the Episcopalians and the Presbyterians and the Methodists and this, that, and the other thing. Nonsense. I don't have to be nice to the spirit of the Antichrist. I can love the people who hold false opinions but I don't have to be nice to them." - Pat Robertson, Fundamentalist Christian tele-minister, quote from The 700 Club television program.

This guy, one of their renowned leaders, comes right out with his hate speech toward other christians!! LOL...and they wonder where it comes from?

Your reply to Seven Lights's post:

Well, SL, there are Christians and there are "Christians." Pat is NOT a renowned leader except to the Christian "Right." And eveen among some of them he is suspect.

You and he seem to be peas in a pod. More or less.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2008 7:08:43 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 27, 2008 7:16:58 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008 9:19:09 AM PST
'probabilist says:
"...But this is an extreme demand. The only field in which we can find absolute certainty is religion. In all other activities we must be content with the best (meaning both the simplest and the most data inclusive) interpretation we can advance, given the data as they now stand. After we accept that this is true in all secular inquiries..."

source:

David W. Anthony, 'The Horse, the Wheel, and Language: How Bronze-Age Riders from the Eurasian Steppes Shaped the Modern World' (Princeton University Press, 2007), p. 85

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008 2:27:49 PM PST
Lufer says:
"Of course like every other man of intelligence and education I do believe in organic evolution. It surprises me that at this late date such questions should be raised." - Woodrow Wilson, twenty-eighth U.S. president

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008 2:57:05 PM PST
dove breeder says:
"Where others see coincidence, I see providence. I see purpose." Morpheus, Matrix Reloaded.

I know it's a movie quote, but I just couldn't help it ;o

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008 3:24:49 PM PST
'probabilist says:
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared with what lies within us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  362
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jan 24, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions