Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Gay Bullying Deaths and Religion: Are Believers the Problem or the Solution?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2010 7:19:25 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 30, 2011 10:14:38 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2010 7:23:35 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2010 7:25:10 PM PDT

Posted on Oct 12, 2010 7:27:56 PM PDT
D. Mulhollen says:
Also Hitler had Roehm murdered during the "Night of the Long Knives".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 5:02:26 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 18, 2011 11:16:52 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 13, 2010 6:29:33 PM PDT
D. Mulhollen says:
RBW you seem to be confusing political manipulation with people who genuinely believe in gay rights. Hitler was not comfortable with Roehm's homosexuality but for a long time they were friends. It is only when the SA became an embarrassment and Roehm was showing signs of turning against Hitler that his fate was sealed.

More people now realize the past prejudices against homosexuality were based on ignorance and lies. Most families have one or two gay members and are starting to treat them with the same respect shown to any other family member. And, as a heterosexual male with several gay cousins, I have to say it's about time.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 6:39:34 PM PDT

Posted on Oct 13, 2010 6:45:00 PM PDT
D. Mulhollen says:
RBW, it is very selective. The books of Deuteronomy and Leviticus list hundreds of things that people do every day despite being called "sinful", "evil", or even "an abomination."

Also, as somebody who is not Christian, I find any biblical proscription irrelevant.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 6:56:26 PM PDT
A customer says:
"I don't know of a single major religion that encourages violence against homosexuals."

Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 7:09:24 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 9:06:26 PM PDT
Idunasappl says:
You don't "recruit" gays. I don't recall Jesus saying anything about homosexuality. Perhaps you can give me the chapter and verse where Jesus says anything about Homosexuality.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 9:10:35 PM PDT
Idunasappl says:
The Old Testament does proscribe homosexuality, but it's no where in the teachings of Jesus. I find it amusing, and sad, that many Christians will tell you that things like slavery and stoning are not practiced because we have "outgrown" such barbarity, or that God really doesn't call upon them to practice them any more, but homosexuality is still forbidden and evil.

You're right, Biblical proscription is irrelevant, particularly when it comes to law. What any religion says about anything should have nothing to do with legal issues. The acceptance of Gays and Lesbians is a human rights issue, not a religious one.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 9:11:15 PM PDT
Idunasappl says:
Oh, that's very loving of you, isn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 9:54:33 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 10:00:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 18, 2011 11:16:53 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 10:03:29 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 10:47:48 PM PDT
A customer says:
He asked for a citation of what Jesus said, not Paul or whoever.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 2:58:06 AM PDT
A customer says:
ONE!!! posted: "...In the case of civil rights for blacks, there was a black family unity that could support their children. Most gay children are growing up with heterosexual parents. Most gay children do not have access to the gay community centers in their towns, even if one exists..."

Nietz: Great point, ONE!!! Years ago, for instance, when a black kid got teased or bullied for his skin color, he or she could run home to their mom or dad to seek solace, empathy, and support. Not so with being gay. In fact, as a gay child, turning to one's parents--something most children should be able to count on--may be an impossibility.

No child should feel the burden of such isolating loneliness.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 3:11:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2010 3:26:36 AM PDT
A customer says:
It's not just fanatic Christians and Muslims. After speaking with a group of Orthodox Jews in which Paladino--a republican running for guv of New York and sure to lose--demonized homosexuals, the thug later retracted many of his statements in what can only be described as an abject apology. This didn't sit too well with a certain rabbi, Yehuda Levin, who said he felt that Paladino's apology was a betrayal, and that he could no longer support Paladino.

"I was in the middle of eating a kosher pastrami sandwich," Rabbi Levin said. "While I was eating it, they come running and they say, `Paladino became gay!' I said, `What?' And then they showed me the statement. I almost choked on the kosher salami."

The full story is here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/14/nyregion/14paladino.html

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 4:51:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2010 5:31:13 AM PDT
A customer says:
Ralph J. Bellatoni posted: "...it just seems like its being treated in the media as some kind of new phenomena."

Nietz: I understand how it may seem that way to you; but actually, the truth is that this past month has shown an inordinate amount of attacks of violence and bullying towards gays. At the Stonewall Inn, considered by many as the birthplace of the modern gay liberation movement, two men attacked a patron in the men's room, telling the guy "don't pee next to me, f--------t." One held him down while the other punched him in the face repeatedly. The gay man fought back and eventually was able to escape and grabbed a cue stick from the pool table in order to defend himself against the two, who had attempted to flee the scene. The gay bouncers were able to apprehend the gay bashers, and they were arrested. The patron, visiting on holiday with his boyfriend, from Washington, D.C., was hospitalized.

Another recent incident involved a trio of friends, gay men who were kissing each other goodnight at 25th and 9th Avenue in Chelsea, one of the gayest neighborhoods in the country. A group of five guys screamed, "Go home, f-----ots, this is our neighborhood." The gay men were attacked, and later treated for injuries at Bellevue Hospital.
http://www.dnainfo.com/20101004/chelsea-hells-kitchen/man-charged-hate-crime-screamed-go-home-fts-this-is-our-neighborhood

Both incidents are covered in this article from Gay City News:
http://www.gaycitynews.com/articles/2010/10/10/gay_city_news/news/doc4cae272568b5b913662489.txt

Ralph, it's not the media treating it as some new kind of phenomenon. It's the revitalized surge in the phenomena itself--including the provocation of numerous gay suicides, the incident at Rutger's being one of the more prominently reported ones--that is provoking more coverage in the media.

What I find particularly disturbing about these violent attacks is the fact that they were obviously premeditated happenings. One does not accidentally walk into the Stonewall Inn, in the heart of Greenwich Village, then hang out in the men's room to ask the first person that walks in what kind of bar it is. One doesn't go into Chelsea, a world renowned gay neighborhood, and act surprised to see men hugging or kissing or holding hands. In fact, it would be rare not to find such casual behavior. And no one living in the very same neighborhood would ever yell, "hey, go home, f---------ts, you're in our neighborhood." The neighborhood itself was turned around by gays beginning in the late '80s, from a dangerous crime-filled ghetto filled with rundown tenaments into one of the most popular and sought-after areas in the city in which to live.

These guys were looking for a particular kind of trouble, targeting certain kind of people, and they knew where to look for it.

As for the ad hoc gang who kidnapped and tortured three men in unspeakable fashion--I hope they're all tried as adults and are punished to the fullest extent of law.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 4:59:00 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 5:01:45 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 8:17:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2010 8:21:12 AM PDT
DMP says:
Nietz (Jumping over Bobbie's inane dithering) ~

This from Care2.com:

"Anti-gay bullying is making headlines all over the country. A series of high-profile suicides by bullied gay youth have riveted national attention on the issue. The statistics are sobering. Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, and LGBTQ youth are at significantly higher risk of suicidal behavior than their straight peers.

Nine out of ten LGBTQ youths told researchers that they had been harassed at school and two out of three said they felt unsafe at school because of their orientation, Jessica Strong reports for Campus Progress.

In Minnesota, three gay students the Anoka-Hennepin school district have committed suicide this year and the district is facing increasing pressure to crack down on homophobic bullying. However, not everyone's on board.

Andy Birkey of the Minnesota Independent reports that the head of a Christian rock ministry called 'You Can Run But You Can't Hide' is opposing the anti-bullying programs, which he considers to be a recruiting tactic for gays, and by extension, child molesters (?!). Birkey also reports that Minnesota's Republican gubernatorial hopeful, Tom Emmer, has said he won't sign an anti-bullying bill if he is elected. Emmer has a strongly anti-gay record as a state legislator. The department store chain Target [which I'm still boycotting, by the way] drew the ire of national gay rights groups when it gave a major donation to a pro-Emmer PAC."

Is it just me, or this insane Tea-bagger/Religious Reich business getting completely out of hand?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 10:02:11 AM PDT
Idunasappl says:
Romans was not written by Jesus, now was it?? Did Jesus actually say anything about homosexuality?? If he didn't, then saying that Jesus disapproves of homosexuality is a false statement.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 10:04:12 AM PDT
Idunasappl says:
Yes, but morals change vastly from place to place and from time to time. I have mentioned previously, behaviors that were once considered moral, but are now considered immoral. Pretending that morality is static is stupid, and blinding oneself to reality.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  52
Total posts:  1171
Initial post:  Oct 9, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions