Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Elizabeth Cook Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Why Are Atheists So Obsessed With Religion?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:05:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012 2:09:44 PM PST
Ku says:
Yes, I know what's in the Constitution.

That stuff concerns Congress.

The Bill of Rights and its interpretation concerns the Supreme Court of the U.S., too. Particularly, in fact.

Are you saying you want SCOTUS to change its rulings in this matter?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:06:48 PM PST
Mr. Krinkle says:
Michael, you have in the past posted some rather good responses to the "watchmaker" argument. I was hoping I could steal one of your posts on the subject, not only because I am a little lazy, but because you explain it so incredibly well. Do you think you could copy and paste one here, or link to one of your posts on the subject for the participant "not4n" to read?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:08:34 PM PST
not4n - "I have read plenty of science books but I have not been able to find any credible answer to why the universe exists or where life came from it. "

I haven't seen a credible reason to think there *is* a "why" to it. Science deals with "how," and in the case of cosmology is overtly speculative. The issue for me isn't that science is infallible, just that it's all we have. Well, to learn about the universe 'out there', anyway. Religious narratives, literature, poetry, philosophy, meditation or other stuff is more suited to us investigating our emotional lives, the meaning we attach to our lives, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:10:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012 2:11:08 PM PST
A customer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:11:41 PM PST
Ku says:
"I think she was right?"

Well, do you? Or don't you?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:13:25 PM PST
Lj3d says:
Prometheus Lass: As far as verbal witnessing, its GOT to be to people who are questioning and who are ready to hear.

Lj3d: This is one of the reasons I refrain from posting science links. Most of the die hard believers do not want to hear the scientific side and I don't want to push it on them.

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 2:13:49 PM PST
I find it odd that England, which has no official seperation of Church and State and has a state religion, has next to none of the religious strife America does.

Very odd.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:14:27 PM PST
Ooooh.

Crud. You know, I totally see your point in one sense, but where the heck else are they ever going to have a chance to see the real data?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:15:12 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 29, 2012 2:15:34 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:16:14 PM PST
Hinch says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:16:19 PM PST
The founding fathers made not one mention of "God" in the Constitution, and Thomas Jefferson, one of the principal authors of that Constitution, was the person who coined the phrase "Separation of Church and State".

The State is bound to allow individuals to practice their religion *while not giving special support to any one religion or group of religions*. Our government treats religions equally... which means it is no one sect's or religion's enforcement body.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:16:40 PM PST
P. Blair - "I've been saying for years that most atheists I have encountered are every bit the missionaries that evangelicals are."

Since we seem to recognize the same traits in a subset of evangelicals and a subset of atheists, we're more or less asking why those people who happen to be rude are so rude. You only think it's "most atheists you've encountered" because those are the ones you've noticed. Most atheists, sort of like most gays, keep their mouths shut about it, because they know that even mentioning the subject will immediately be taken as rude and pushy by a large number of Christians.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:18:05 PM PST
I'd love to help you out, but don't have any links handy to any one of my posts... but I'm sure if you type "watchmaker" into the "Search Customer Discussions" box, you'll see my posts on the subject, as well as those of others... I'd check the Christianity, Religion, and Science forums.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:19:28 PM PST
Mr. Krinkle says:
Michael Altarriba says:
The founding fathers made not one mention of "God" in the Constitution, and Thomas Jefferson, one of the principal authors of that Constitution, was the person who coined the phrase "Separation of Church and State".

K: Michael, I think you have made a very, very rare mistake. What role did TJ have in the writing of the Constitution?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:20:10 PM PST
not4n - "Which is wrong? The "Theory of Evolution: or the "Second Law of Thermodynamics""

The 2nd law of thermodynamics applies to closed system. The earth is not a closed system. Increased order here is offset by increased entropy elsewhere, therefore there is no violation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:20:53 PM PST
Mr. Krinkle says:
I looked, but I could not find any. Thanks anyways. I will keep my eye out for them.

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 2:22:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012 2:26:27 PM PST
Ku says:
I thought this was interesting in light of the OP's idea that there's a distinction between atheism and religion.

""Atheism is [the inmate's] religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being," the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said.

The court decided the inmate's First Amendment rights were violated because the prison refused to allow him to create a study group for atheists."

So there's a court ruling that treats atheism as a religion because that's becoming one of the few ways to push back at those who want their particular religion to swamp the public arena.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:23:11 PM PST
You're right... I stand corrected. Huh... I wonder how that idea got into my head...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:24:14 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:25:07 PM PST
Ku says:
"So why do atheists spend so much effort trying prove with science that God does not exist."

They do? Who did you have in mind?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:25:17 PM PST
Ku - "So there's a court ruling that treats atheism as a religion because that's becoming one of the fews way to push back at those who want their particular religion to swamp the public arena. "

Sadly, when "hey, it's my religion" has turned into a magic phrase that gets people whatever they want, other people will realize how great of a tool it is to, well, get what you want.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:26:22 PM PST
The 2nd law of thermodynamics applies to closed system. The earth is not a closed system. Increased order here is offset by increased entropy elsewhere, therefore there is no violation

But the universe is a closed system as far as anyone can tell.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:27:30 PM PST
Ku says:
Heheh. That's true.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:27:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012 2:29:41 PM PST
Scientific Mind for one.
Look at the name of this discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:30:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012 2:30:55 PM PST
Ku says:
I don't think I've ever seen an atheist fielding a scientific argument disproving the existence of God in all the years I've been here.

Otoh, I haven't read every single post.

Do you have a quote or at least a thread you can refer me to?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1552 18 days ago
keep one change one started 10 October 2014 6422 26 seconds ago
Even if There Were a 'God,' No Human Could Know It 1055 7 minutes ago
Today in Muslim History 7740 14 minutes ago
Why did those who are now atheists leave Christianity? 4375 15 minutes ago
Happy days are here again! :) 203 20 minutes ago
Jesus probably didn't exist. Brian Bethune in response to Bart Ehrhman 2931 28 minutes ago
The Obama administration is a weird mix of the Nixon and Carter Administrations. Corruption and Incompetence. Thow in the Muslim Traitor Factor...and you're left with a Country that's Pretty Strong...to have survived this Left Wing Wacko Lawless Chaos. 6 29 minutes ago
One-sentence Nonsense Deepities for Fun and Prophet 132 1 hour ago
What's happening with SSM in the post Prop 8 world? 3159 2 hours ago
The Nature of God 171 2 hours ago
Is Crooked Hillary the Choice for Atheists because she is Crooked? Loves Aborting Baby Girls? Trashed the Women who Told The Truth About Impeached Cheating Bill? Or is it her Amoral Awkwardness that Attracts the Atheists To Crooked Hillary? 162 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  107
Total posts:  1211
Initial post:  Jan 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions