Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Why amazon does not uses word "christmas" ?

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Dec 17, 2012 8:45:50 PM PST.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 12:44:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 2:00:15 PM PST
"Won't happen again"

Are you kidding? There is nothing unbiblical or unChristian about wishing someone happiness during any time of the year.

"...man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7

The words themselves don't really matter; it is the intent behind them ("the heart") that matters. It is not more spiritual to say one phrase vs. another. A Pharisee would think so, but not a real Christian.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 12:44:29 PM PST
Christmas derived from a Pagan holiday known as Saturnalia. If you're a true Christian, you wouldn't celebrate this holiday after finding out about its roots -- just like many Christians have done after finding out about Halloween. Also, Easter is derived from a Pagan holiday. Don't believe me? Just look it up!

So do us a favor, and quit pretending there is some "war on Christmas", take your head out of your a** and realize it's more a cultural holiday than anything else. You just enjoy spending time with family and giving/receiving gifts instead of complaining because some people are respectful enough to not disclude everyone who isn't a Christian during this time of year. There are MANY other religions celebrating holidays at the moment -- example: Chanukah. "Happy Holidays" is an easy way to include everyone at the same time, and to include New Years as well.

Give your ego a break. It's going to burn out from your feeding it non-stop, thinking the world revolves around you and your religion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 12:45:58 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 12:49:03 PM PST
Not sure why or how it got to be such a big deal for anyone's religion. Christians moved Jesus's birthday to December 25th because it fell in line with the Jewish celebration and with pagen celebrations. Jesus was born in the fall and it was a marketing decision by the church to move it to December to expand its reach. Its all about selling something and it is unfortunate that people of any faith have lost touch with the core believes of their philosophy.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 12:49:14 PM PST
HAHAHAHHAHA. Watching Bill O' Reilly a little much are we? Christianity is in NO WAY a philosophy, you FOX "news" mutant. I am an ex-Christian (Evangelical) -- now atheist. Yes, I pulled my head out of my ass 10 years ago. I have read the Bible twice, and I know more about the history of Christmas than you ever will because you are too intellectually lazy to figure it out for yourself. Why don't you behave like a true "Christian" and follow the words of Christ, which were mostly about love, acceptance, and not passing judgment? I just lost IQ points replying to you. Ugh.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 12:51:06 PM PST
Actually it wasn't moved as a marketing ploy. Saturnalia was celebrated at this time of year and the Christians wanted to convert the Pagans, so they started to adopt and adapt their holidays to make it easier to get them to convert. If Jesus did actually exist, according to the Bible it is likely he was born sometime around September.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 12:54:53 PM PST
>>>>
Holiday does NOT mean Holy Day..
<<<<

You see, it's that kind of ignorance that is the root of the problem.

You cannot deny the etymology of the word any more than you can deny that the decorated holiday tree comes from the Pagan celebration of Winter Solstice.

For all practical purposes, Christians got the naming rights to the holiday on December 25, but (with the exception of attending mass), nearly all the traditions of the celebration are of non-Christian origin.

So forgive me if I go to Comiskey Park instead of US Cellular Field. I'm sure some day some kid will scold me for not using the "traditional" US Cellular Field, and have no idea that his tradition is just the new flavor of the time.

Now, if you really want to celebrate Christmas, that's fine. Wish me a "Merry Christmas" if you want. But don't act like I killed your savior if I reply with a more inclusive "Happy Holidays!", and stop condemning others who are inclusive, too.

It's not "Peace on Earth, Goodwill to Christians, only". It's "Peace on Earth, Goodwill to ALL," even those who say "Holidays" instead of "Christmas".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 12:58:29 PM PST
>>>>
I recently caught myself saying happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas. Won't happen again it is because of Christ that we have a Christmas.
<<<<

And if it wouldn't have been for the Pagan celebration of the Winter Solstice, the birth of Christ might have been celebrated closer to its real time of the year -- the end of March.

So Happy Winter Solstice, the holiday that nearly all holiday celebrations at the end of December are rooted in!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 1:07:27 PM PST
Dan says:
It's important that we celebrate the 25th... it is the birthday of Nimrod after all. We wouldn't want people to go through all those yuletide greetings without knowing what Yule means.

Whatever you do, do NOT mention the puritan's view of Christmas - or that it was banned in Boston for 22 years!

"For preventing disorders, arising in several places within this jurisdiction by reason of some still observing such festivals as were superstitiously kept in other communities, to the great dishonor of God and offense of others: it is therefore ordered by this court and the authority thereof that whosoever shall be found observing any such day as Christmas or the like, either by forbearing of labor, feasting, or any other way, upon any such account as aforesaid, every such person so offending shall pay for every such offence five shilling as a fine to the county."

From the records of the General Court,
Massachusetts Bay Colony
May 11, 1659

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 1:11:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 1:56:48 PM PST
Correct. Technically, it is not because of Christ that we "have a Christmas". That word isn't even in the Bible. The word "Christmas" wasn't appointed by God. It is man-made. What's holy about Christmas Day applies to Christians every day of the year and can be celebrated on any day(s) we choose, called anything we choose.

Frankly, I don't think God cares what we call December 25th. I do know however that He cares about the state of our heart and about our actions.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:11:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 1:19:23 PM PST
Peony says:
You all are so intense ... why not lighten up, whatever your religious or non-religious persuasions? For me, I am not offended by someone saying "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" or another form of congenial greeting -- in this day and age, I'm just glad they're being pleasant in the first place. As for the advertising content of a web site ... if your biggest concern is THAT, then you haven't been paying attention to what's going on in the world or even in your own town. Happy, merry ..... Cheers.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:13:49 PM PST
MsFuzzy says:
Good grief !

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:13:57 PM PST
A2B says:
I can't believe this topic is still going on! Don't you guys have better things to do? Like decorate your Holiday tree? Or wrap your holiday presents?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 1:14:33 PM PST
I thought I did when I stated people, of any religion, have lost touch with their core believes. The Catholic Church was the first organized Christian religion that based it's practice on the philosophies taught by Jesus. If it is not a philosophy, what is it? You can't lose IQ points you don't have.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:17:57 PM PST
denilea says:
This thread asked: "Why amazon does not uses word "christmas""?
Check the upper right of their page--it says (on 12/8) "9 days left to order for Christmas". Tomorrow it will say "8 more...", etc.
Why? Because Christmas is one day.
BTW, had anyone noticed that done for other holidays?
I'm also amused that amazon knew to capitalize Christmas, and the OP did not...
Happy Holidays!

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:21:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 1:52:27 PM PST
Jill says:
This topic is getting so old... who cares one way or the other? Happy Chanukah, Kwanzaa, New Year, Merry Christmas and all the rest. Use the word that applies to you and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing. Pay more attention the things that lead to this stupid political correctness in the first place - such as putting everyone on the same level, same plane, taking away any differences unless those differences can be highlghted and used as a means to attack others for prejudice or infraction of their (own) rights. We all have rights in this country, so far. Enjoy them while you can, because the more we homogenize our society the easier it becomes to have more rights taken away. Respect the differences that make up our sociaty - freedom from persecution of one's beliefs was one of the reasons this country was initially founded.

Edit: As far as retailers deciding to use a particular holiday to boost sales or incorporate ALL the seasons' celebrations it makes complete sense to use the word "Holiday" instead. Their job is to sell inventory and with luck end the year "in the black". Whatever they have to do to achieve that - go for it. Maybe they'll be able to retain employees and even hire more!

And of course it's a Chrsitmas Tree. Have you ever seen a Christmas Menorah? Not having read all the posts I do not know (or remember at least) the origin of the Christmas tree. I am fairly certain there were no decorated blue spruces in Bethlehem the day Christ was born though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 1:25:10 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 8, 2012 2:26:00 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 1:30:21 PM PST
Skipjack68 says:
"We use a tree as part of our celebration, but it has little to do with Christian beliefs other than a symbol of love and celebration. I am buying gifts for my family's Christmas celebration and stores should not call our Christmas tree a "Holiday Tree", something is never was or is. I have no problem with celebrate the "Holidays" but calling a Christmas tree a Holiday tree, is crazy!!"

I am not offended when a clerk in a store says "Happy Holiday" for two reasons, one, she was told to do so or she/he does not know for sure that my gift is a "Christmas present". On the other hand, if I mentioned in my shopping that the purchase was a Christmas present for my wife, I think "Merry Christmas" would be more appropriate and as a customer appreciated. I celebrate the real reason for Christmas, Christmas eve at my church, when we celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. In this country, Christmas used to be for everyone and very few people did not celebrate the event with family get togetherness and gifts. We used to be. as I was taught in school, a melting pot of different peoples of all walks and backgrounds, but we came together under the flag of one nation, one people, Americans. Today, we are divided into classes, into hi-finated nationalities and headed in the wrong direction. We are becoming a nation of tribes, just like the middle east and some in Europe. Soon, we will be fighting each other, just like they are doing now in the middle east. The land of the free and opportunity for all is being changed to something I am sorry for my children and grandchildren who will have to try to live through it all. As Ben Franklin said, "We have given you a republic, if you can keep it!" All of this political correctness and hair splitting squabbles will get worse.

Back on subject, it is a Christmas Tree, not a Holiday Tree!

Skipjack

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 1:31:38 PM PST
Lene Jensen says:
For MOST of us, Christians and non-Christians alike, we don't really care, and appreciate that people wish us well. But for those who think they have a monopoly on this month, we're disrespecting them. I really don't understand why.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:34:20 PM PST
JamieinMN says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 1:37:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 1:39:13 PM PST
"All of this political correctness and hair splitting squabbles will get worse.
Back on subject, it is a Christmas Tree, not a Holiday Tree!"

As much as I think the label "Holiday Tree" is lame and silly, I have to ask: can you not see the irony / contradiction in what you wrote? There would be less squabble, indeed, if We the People of this republic would live and let live.

You can call it what you want, I can call it what I want, whomever owns it can call it what they want; and there you have your wish -- no "squabbling".

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:51:35 PM PST
Y2Chris says:
Perhaps a lot of Jehovah's Witnesses shop via Amazon? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 2:01:03 PM PST
RandyJ says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 2:05:23 PM PST
RandyJ says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 2:06:42 PM PST
RandyJ says:
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  454
Total posts:  1541
Initial post:  Dec 7, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions