Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Who does your religion hate?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 185 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 5:55:50 PM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Why are the LDS talking about the sanctity of marriage? To quote the LDS own Mitt Romney: "A marriage should only be between a man and a woman . . . and a woman."

In the Old Testament, Didn't King David purchase his first wife a hundred foreskins of non-Jews that he had personally killed? How many woman did King David marry? What loyal Jew did King David have killed so that he could have his wife, BATH-SHAVA? And did not God, according to the Old Testament, sanction this by making BATH-SHIVA's son, Solomon, to succeed King David?

LDS followers can even quote the Bible text that approve of taking wives as young as 12. Which parts of the Bible do LDS want people to believe and incorporate into their behaviors?

Note the new openness of the Episcopal Church - by contrast with LDS, other Christian religions, Jewish religions, and various versions of the Muslim religions. All those, except the Episcopalians, are SILENT and/or harboring hatred toward many of god's created people - some of them even sanction murder.

Come out of darkness people. The light grows brighter. Your actions will reveal your true spiritual heart condition.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 6:51:37 PM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Reply to Joe Anthony:

Yes. I am the original poster of this thread. And you are right, in a way. The flight/fight response of mammals is well documented. The chemistry is the exact same for each. It is genetic and real world experiences that cause humans to choose one over the other.

Who do I hate:? I know that all things happen because of preceding events, not by magic or un-caused willfulness. I sometimes do get angry with people, but my anger is quickly extinguished by reasoning on the truth. My anger is never allowed to become hate.

People are taught religious beliefs by parents and others. Children feel rewarded by caring parents and their loving attention. People could teach love and acceptance of others, or they could teach religious beliefs that god was on their side and will give them victory - if they obey god's rules as stated in some ancient text.

Truth is ignored by both. Is this dumb, or is it dumber?

Some parents just teach their children the truth. This takes time and diligence, and oftentimes an admission of ignorance. The rewards are many, but the resistance is great. None the less, honesty is vital. The persistent existence of mankind depends on a willingness to become honest and stop teaching superstitious misinformation.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 7:03:49 PM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Seriously, Jen,

Since the kinds of marriage you condone are less than 50% successful, who are you to say that anyone cannot contribute to a discussion on marriage? Who are you to say that anyone should be denied the right to marry with love? Who are you, really? Accuser?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 7:43:53 PM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Reply to Shiv K. Singh:

You are so wrong . . . so wrong. Hatred is the desire to do harm - usually serious harm. One can oppose evil without hate. When one hates they are always on the side of the accuser. Those wrongfully hated can speak out without returning hate. Hatred is the enemy of god and all creation. Hatred can never balance the scales of justice or injustice. The one true god is a loving person, not the sociopathic maniac of the Old Testament Bible. Nor is god the three persons of a trinity. God is one person, and a person who loves all of his creations - even his gay and transgendered people.

The above is only a small part of my personal faith. I do not need any organized religion to support my hopes for a truly loving god. I don't need to get others to believe as I do. I am not part of an organized religion. I am not the idea of a person, I am a real person. My faith is not organizational; it is personal. Why would anyone want less? Why would any intelligent person accept the unscientific religious opinions of others when their own unscientific opinions are just as valid?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 7:59:57 PM PDT
Chameleon's post:
To quote the LDS own Mitt Romney: "A marriage should only be between a man and a woman . . . and a woman."
==========================
If he ever said that, it was surly in jest. Do you have a source to the video/audio track for that?

Chameleon's post:
LDS followers can even quote the Bible text that approve of taking wives as young as 12.
==========================
Hummm... I must not be a very good LDS. First I have ever heard of this. Maybe you can teach this LDS something new.... source please.

Brother Niv

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 8:12:20 PM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Reply to Jen:

Don't you understand that loyalty to marriage vows does not depend on institutions. It depends on individuals. Slaves, in the American South, might jump over a broom to sanctify their marriages. Nobody can reduce or increase the emotional value of marriage or the value of love. The fact that more than 50% of heterosexual marriages end in divorce does not damage the sanctity of marriage - it speaks of the weakening of the individuals involved.

This argument about same sex marriage is actually an economic fairness issue. Nobody can stop men from loving men and women from loving women. Don't even challenge the power of love. God is on our side.

The question: Can homosexual couples have the same economic rights as heterosexual couples? These rights include home and dependent taxation deductions, and social security rights of surviving spouse. And maybe all legal rights? Do homosexual American citizens have a right to be treated with economic equality? That is what same sex marriage is really about. That is all. That is all. That is all.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 8:24:32 PM PDT
D. Thomas says:
I've read hundreds of Nancy's posts, and none have shown any hatred of LDS.

One wonders how you KNOW she hates Mormonism. I didn't know mind-reading was part of LDS teachings.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 8:24:57 PM PDT
D. Thomas says:
And rightly so.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 8:26:33 PM PDT
D. Thomas says:
MLC wrote: "we speak out because we have the answer to all the problems of life..."

Hah! Don't you wish!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 8:30:54 PM PDT
D. Thomas says:
I think you're on to something there, B.J.

He's doing the old "Let's you and him fight" playground routine.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 8:33:31 PM PDT
D. Thomas says:
Why are you asking MLC all those dumb questions?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 8:37:07 PM PDT
D. Thomas says:
Acts5v29: "The WatchTower released a study article instructing its members not just to hate, but to pray for the death of those who had left them and who oppose their organisation."

I'm not saying that that didn't happen, but it has a "hatey" feel to it, so I'm not taking your word for it. Or for anything else, for that matter.

What's your beef with JW, Acts?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 8:38:29 PM PDT
D. Thomas says:
Yeah, sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 8:47:26 PM PDT
D. Thomas says:
Cham wrote: "In fact, humans have formed all religions."

No kidding? I thought God singlehandedly built those temples and churches and mosques and wrote those books and missals and hymnals. I've especially enjoyed his very high-level and intellectually challenging "Jack Chick Tracts" series.

(The plural of "moron" is "morons"; the plural of "oxymoron" is "oxymorons.")

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 8:51:33 PM PDT
D. Thomas says:
Oh fer chrissakes!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:00:46 PM PDT
D. Thomas says:
I thought you were in my "Ignore Customer" bin, Jen. Well, you're in there now.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:05:33 PM PDT
JOHN DOE says:
Bro Niv - you lie like a rug. Not too long ago I gave you reference to LDS doctrine and now you deny it. You'd cherry pick doctrine all day long if we let you get away with it - just being honest...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:10:09 PM PDT
If it was more then a week ago, you'll need to refresh my mind.
So, what are you talking about?

Brother Niv

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:13:10 PM PDT
JOHN DOE says:
Go back and find it yourself - I'm not your secretary - hint - you were going to bed so would read it another time - just keeping the faith...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:30:43 PM PDT
I don't have time to go back. Yet, You can't even tell me what you are talking about? That doesn't require a trip back in time....

Brother Niv

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 10:42:58 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
Thanks, D. You're right, I don't hate the Mormons, not as individuals. I do have a deep antipathy for the practice of polygamy, and also for the way Mormon women are relegated to the role of breeding stock, whether they're in a plural marriage or a "traditional" marriage.

As far as their customs and beliefs, just about every religion is seen as at least odd or "wrong" by people in other systems of thought. I don't accept the Mormon beliefs, but I have no problem with the Mormons doing so. It's the inequality that bothers me, but that's true, in one degree or another in nearly every religion, and not only the monotheistic ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 11:29:13 PM PDT
JOHN DOE says:
You know exactly what I am talking about - and if your time is so precious, why are you wasting it here - just asking...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 3:18:23 AM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Yes, LDS, I know that Romney said that about marriage being only between a man and a woman . . . and a woman, was only in jest. For me his sense of humor speaks well of him. I really like him as a person. The same goes for all the young LDS boys who come knocking at my door.

I'm just worried that Romney might get elected, severely damage our nation's economy, and harm gay's and woman's rights. I don't want my country to become anything like a theocracy.

I also know that both presidential candidates believe that they have a calling from our god. But it should be remembered by all who claim to be true Christians, Jesus said that it is easier for a camel (or rope?) to pass through the eye of a needle, than it is for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of God.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 3:13:24 PM PDT
John says:
I'm Catholic and I don't hate anybody. I believe Jesus died for everybody, whether or not you wanted him to, you have the chance to be saved. I may disagree about details regarding religious beliefs, but I don't hate anybody, I have friends from many other religions.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 6:10:50 PM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Reply to John:

Who you hate was not the topic of this post. Sure, it's nice that you don't personally hate anyone. But my question was "Who does your religion hate?"

Maybe the Catholic religion has repented of their centuries of hate and their murders of untold millions of people. If so or not, who does the POPE and other Catholic leadership hate now? I do believe that this is a fair question.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1245 18 days ago
God: The Evidence 202 2 minutes ago
A religious thought happens to an atheist 615 39 minutes ago
God's Presence 2458 44 minutes ago
Did Jesus Really Exist? One Scholar's Argument that He Didn't 660 49 minutes ago
The Origins of Aggressive Atheism 21 57 minutes ago
Some strange things we cant explain 37 1 hour ago
My most embarrassing religious moment... 48 1 hour ago
Atheists - Muslims ... not much difference there 2652 2 hours ago
Distortions in the New Age Movement 660 3 hours ago
Science II 3689 5 hours ago
Types of thinking 5 6 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  185
Initial post:  Oct 5, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions