Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Atheists are Searching for Self Definition. Even if it is More About Who They Are Against. That's why the Religion Forum attracts them. Also, they have more mixed feelings about religion and Christianity than they admit to. Hello Conflicted Atheists.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 760 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 11:18:33 AM PST
E. Boyd: Therefore, the obvious sign of a true Leftiust is 1) atheism and 2) fear of manipulation and 3) a willingness to curtail human freedom for governmentally imposed "safety"...which historically ends in a Leftist manipulating the populace in cruel ways.
Pres. Obama fits ALL of these criteria because he is a "christian" leftist...which actually means he is a Leftist first.

Rachel: Mr. Boyd, do you read what you write? How can Obama be a "Christian leftist" if your definition of "leftist" means that he is an atheist? You really haven't thought this through, have you?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 11:18:38 AM PST
Cambodia

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 11:25:46 AM PST
"Well, isn't THAT convenient? What rules IS this god's existence predicated upon and how do you know?"

I didn't say that I know. It was the other guy, who said that he knew. You aren't very good at this.

"That seems quite clear and so far you have succeeded brilliantly in that you haven't even offered any evidence! Congratulations!"

Of course I haven't offered any evidence. I have never claimed that I could prove that G-d exists. And I have never tried to convince anyone to belief, either. Hakol beeday shamayim, chootz yiras shamayim. You decide what you believe, or don't believe. I don't decide. G-d doesn't decide. It's free will. You decide, and I am not interested in what you decide.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 11:40:16 AM PST
AxeGrrl says:
E.Boyd wrote: "Here is a list of Leftist characteristics:

One who sees the world as evolved randomly and without apparent meaning or purpose...."
~~~~

How is any of that 'leftist'? What does a person's view on the universe have to do with their political leanings?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 11:44:09 AM PST
AxeGrrl says:
Irish Lace wrote: "Mostly we looked like a bunch of nerds (except for Eugenie Scott, of course, who is impossibly dignified and elegant.)"
~~~~

You got to hear Eugenie Scott speak in person? *jealous look* Sooo intelligent and articulate and thoughtful....I've had a girl crush on her for awhile now :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 11:49:37 AM PST
Isn't that interesting.

Your post is pretty much complete gibberish, not to be taken seriously. You have invented a version of reality which doesn't actually correspond to anything except the delusions in your own mind, and are busy arguing against it. It's just one false claim after another.

I see your posted was voted down (not by me, BTW). It's understandable. You have contributed nothing to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 11:51:45 AM PST
Your version of your god is simply an unsupported claim, so you have the burden of proof. You're busy engaging in a special pleading fallacy.

You're not one of those who tries to prove your god exists. No, you just assume he does, and then go from there. Well, your assumption may satisfy you, but it's not sufficient for those of us who engage in logical reasoning.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 12:18:44 PM PST
"Krishna is just a title--It means Christ."

Eh?

"Krishna pronunciation (help·info) (Sanskrit: कृष्ण Kṛṣṇa in IAST, pronounced [ˈkr̩ʂɳə] literally "black, dark blue")[1] is a Hindu deity, one of the "avatars" (or "incarnation") of Lord Vishnu.

Krishna is often described and portrayed as an infant or young boy playing a flute as in the Bhagavata Purana,[2] or as a youthful prince giving direction and guidance as in the Bhagavad Gita.[3] The stories of Krishna appear across a broad spectrum of Hindu philosophical and theological traditions.[4] They portray him in various perspectives: a god-child, a prankster, a model lover, a divine hero and the Supreme Being.[5] The principal scriptures discussing Krishna's story are the Mahabharata, the Harivamsa, the Bhagavata Purana and the Vishnu Purana.

Worship of a deity of Krishna, either in the form of Vasudeva, Bala Krishna or Gopala, can be traced to as early as 4th century BC.[6][7] Worship of Krishna as svayam bhagavan, or the Supreme Being, known as Krishnaism, arose in the Middle Ages in the context of the bhakti movement. From the 10th century AD, Krishna became a favourite subject in performing arts and regional traditions of devotion developed for forms of Krishna such as Jagannatha in Orissa, Vithoba in Maharashtra and Shrinathji in Rajasthan."
(from the wiki)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 12:20:45 PM PST
"You decide, and I am not interested in what you decide."

If you aren't interested in what others decide, then what do you hope to accomplish by posting here?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:04:55 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:09:55 PM PST
Alan says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:12:06 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:12:06 PM PST
ErikR says:
I'm confused what you're doing here then.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:13:35 PM PST
Irish Lace says:
A mob of atheists looks like Cambodia? Hmmmm... I've never been to Cambodia, so I can't comment, I'm afraid. Have you been there? REcently?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:14:42 PM PST
Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:16:49 PM PST
"Listen to yourself, Michael. You are literally saying, "If you don't want to talk about my atheism, then why are you in the Religion Forum." "

No, actually. You said "You decide, and I am not interested in what you decide."

You aren't interested in what others believe... so why are you posting here?

Do you object to the question?

"Only the day before yesterday, the clueless Mark Allan told me that if I didn't like talking with atheist trolls, then I should find another forum to post in."

We'll, you'll have to take your objections up with Mark Allan.

I didn't say that... he did.

"You guys are very self absorbed."

How is my asking you a question a case of self-absorption?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:22:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 1:30:45 PM PST
Irish Lace says:
Irish: "Well, isn't THAT convenient? What rules IS this god's existence predicated upon and how do you know?"

Kenyon: "I didn't say that I know. It was the other guy, who said that he knew. You aren't very good at this."

If you were not suggesting that God is uncaused, then I clearly misunderstood your post and you have my apology. So what caused God, Kenyon?

"Of course I haven't offered any evidence. I have never claimed that I could prove that G-d exists. "

So, just to be clear, you not only can't prove God exists (which is, by definition, not possible) but you also can offer no evidence that God exists.

I admire your honesty. Without evidence, however, I am afraid that belief in God is NOT a choice or a decision. At least, not for me or any other non-theist I have ever met. Ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:25:54 PM PST
Irish Lace says:
We did. Two talks and a panel discussion and went to a party where we had a chance to chat! It was awesome and she was exactly as you describe her in addition to being down-to-Earth and charming.

And not one word that we heard that entire weekend ever suggested hating religious people. I don't suppose Kenyon will believe that, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:28:17 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:28:55 PM PST
Irish Lace says:
"So here's where it get's a bit interesting. Since I'm not trying to prove anything to you, and yet you are seemingly demanding proof from me, for what I am not trying to prove, you are the one who is engaged in 'special pleading'."

This is fun. First you redefine "Hate" and now you're redefining the Special Pleading Fallacy.

I think I'll start a collection.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:33:28 PM PST
Irish Lace says:
"Well, you sort of have a misunderstanding that is the product of you having been raised in a culture, in which proselytizing is common, and 'belief' is the primary religious value. You assume that all religious people are committed to convincing you of their beliefs.

In reality, only the followers of Jesus and Muslims are all that heavily into trying to convince you of their beliefs. And yes, I do realize that the aggressiveness of their proselytizing has led to half of the world being either xian or Muslim. But the rest of us aren't interested in desperately trying to get you to believe what we believe."

That was reasonably well put. But then you had to drop a little nasty-bomb, didn't you? I.E. "Believe it or not, all religious discussions don't have to revolve around a peeing contest between atheists and proselytizers. And I am getting very alarmed by the culture of hate that some atheists are promoting."

Have you considered cutting back a bit on the testosterone?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:33:51 PM PST
ErikR says:
What does that have to do with my question? I am wondering what you are doing here if you are not taking a stand or position.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:54:30 PM PST
No, I didn't change anything about the definition of special pleading. What I said, was that I didn't do special pleading, and the other poster did. And I am absolutely factually correct about it. This is one of those things that isn't a matter of opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:55:43 PM PST
I don't take testosterone.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:59:38 PM PST
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  760
Initial post:  Dec 29, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions