Customer Discussions > Religion forum

A perfect example of religion retarding our advancement

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 10:43:25 PM PST
Re Preston, 2-13 11:21 AM: "We can only hope the the next pope has a much stronger conscious then his predecessors..." Don't get your hopes up too high. It took the Church over 300 years to admit that Galileo was right.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 10:47:02 PM PST
Re Rachel, 2-13 11:42 AM: "they will begin hemorrhaging believers." It is happening already. The more that people get educated, the more they see that the Church is an intellectual cesspool.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 10:49:02 PM PST
ArmyMan says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 10:49:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2013 10:50:09 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 10:58:01 PM PST
Re Javana, above: Really? How many people have died in agony from AIDS because they followed the Church's diktats on the use of condoms?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 11:42:27 PM PST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

Then talk about shifting whims

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 5:05:20 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
I offer a counter-proposal:

Anyone who gets married under civil law, with all the rights and responsibilities pertaining thereto, gets to be called "married," and anyone who opts for the nonbinding and legally-irrelevant religious ceremony has to call their setup a "religious union" reflecting its lesser status.

Sound good? If not, why not?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 5:20:54 AM PST
Re Curtis, above: Works for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 5:33:27 AM PST
Bubba says:
Many Xtians call a nonbinding and legally-irrelevant religious ceremony "holy matrimony"; perhaps they could say say that they are "holy matrimonied", or "HM'ed" for short.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 5:47:41 AM PST
S. Kessler,

Depending on the situation, an employer's request for one's fb passwords may or may not be innocent. In my cynicism, I think in most cases it's simply a "can I get away with this as we enter the new era of social media?" A bald power-grab to set a precedent for any useful or necessary later opportunity.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 5:54:29 AM PST
Mr. Saunders,

And, of course, it's not just AIDS: how many children have been neglected, beaten, starved, sold into slavery, or killed because a parent didn't want them or couldn't afford to keep them? While the picture has many facets and there is blame to go around, the churches bear some of the responsibility. (Yes, Javana/Clarissa, the churches do their share, too, to aid and support such children and/or their families.)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 6:11:24 AM PST
Bubba says:
I wonder how employers that demand FB passwords react when an employee doesn't have a FB account.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 6:40:23 AM PST
Bubba,

It seems likely that the question becomes moot.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 8:00:21 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
Then form your own theocratic country. MY United States is a secular republic, thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 8:02:05 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
I think you are right, Charles.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 8:05:14 AM PST
Its dangerous to think the government should follow Biblical law,especially in a country with a first amendment

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 8:06:38 AM PST
B-Jak says:
"It matters to me and a lot of other people. We defer on this matter to the will of God and not to the shifting whims of secular humanists."

That's good for you, now if you can just keep it to yourself, we'll all be OK.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 8:11:08 AM PST
separation of church and state what part of that don't Bible people not understand!?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 8:14:11 AM PST
"We defer on this matter to the will of God and not to the shifting whims of secular humanists."

Correction: You defer to *what you believe to be* the will of God... and, given the many (hundreds?) of different Christian sects, there is a wide variety of differing opinion as to the details of that "will."

Also, since our nation is not a theocracy, the law is not bound by the beliefs of any of those hundreds of different sects.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 8:15:43 AM PST
"Depending on the situation, an employer's request for one's fb passwords may or may not be innocent."

I know of no *innocent* justification for such a request. Your employer has absolutely no right to such information.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 8:17:36 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
Especially in any country *i'd* want to live in!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 11:13:51 PM PST
AxeGrrl says:
S.Kessler wrote: " There have been news stories in the past year about job applicants who have been asked by their prospective employers for their Facebook passwords so that they can check up on them."
~~~~

I read a recent article/editorial on the issue and heard something just as (or even more) eye-roll-inducing.........

the prediction that soon, it will be a strike against a potential employee if they're NOT ON facebook at all! The idea being that the potential employee is somehow 'suspect' if they don't have an active, online presence in places like Facebook.

Needless to say, this has only spiked my lack of affection for fb.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 12:08:03 AM PST
Facebook isn't the problem. Employers unable or unwilling to respect the boundary between one's hours of employment and one's private life which is the problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 3:53:44 AM PST
AxeGrrl says:
Definitely. And if people are going to be deemed 'suspect' or 'lesser' for NOT being on Facebook, that's part of that issue/problem as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 6:11:26 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-07-19/
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  72
Total posts:  1724
Initial post:  Feb 13, 2013
Latest post:  May 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions