Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Why amazon does not uses word "christmas" ?

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Dec 17, 2012 8:45:50 PM PST.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 1541 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 8:52:44 PM PST
Cool!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 8:54:33 PM PST
Oh yeah, Christ wants people buying people gifts. How many gifts does the average child get? Yeah, it's all about Jesus' birth.

Not!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 9:01:14 PM PST
B. Nommensen says:
They use the word Holidays to encompass Thanksgiving and extend the shopping season.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 9:01:38 PM PST
dottie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 9:02:57 PM PST
dottie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 9:04:09 PM PST
Amazon doesn't highlight the word Christmas on the site because they hate Jesus. Paragraph 174 of their corporate statement: "Debunk the false prophet."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 9:07:09 PM PST
>>>>
If stores do not acknowledge Christmas - do not buy from them. After all they are taking advantage of the Christmas season for it would not be, if not for Christ.
<<<<

Instead we'd be doing what was done before Christian missionaries concurred various Germanic tribes: We'd be celebrating the Winter Solstice. The birth of the Sun.

The Winter Solstice was arguable the number one holiday in their year. (Compared to Christmas being only the fourth most important holiday in the Christian year after after Easter, Pentecost, and Epiphany.)

So if we're going to assume an America settled mostly by Europeans, and then take Christianity out of the equation, Winter Solstice it is.

Heck, I'll bet you could find a number of American Indian tribes that also celebrated something around Winter Solstice, and related to the birth of the sun (as in the start of the period in which the sun starts to shine longer each day.)

And, of course, there are other cultures and religions with holidays in December, too -- which is the whole point of why "Happy Holidays" is an appropriate accolade.

Also, it seems to be rather closed minded and bigoted to boycott merchants who are trying to be inclusive of all people because of their inclusiveness.

But feel free to only patronize merchants who cater to you, and snub others. Aren't discrimination and bigotry what our culture is based on? You'd think so by the way some people hate those who want to be inclusive of all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 9:09:17 PM PST
>>>>
Why does 89% of the population have to have their rights taken away just to pacify the rest of the %?
<<<<

How is acknowledging that there are multiple holidays celebrated by different people taking away your rights? That's just twisted thinking on your part.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 9:10:41 PM PST
Why does 89% of the population have to have their rights taken away just to pacify the rest of the %?
I would love to know what rights have been taken away from Christians!

You still get to celebrate Christmas, right?!

You still get to go to Church on Christmas, right?!

You are still allowed to pray to whomever you want, right?

And the fact that you are OK with being exclusive just to have your holiday, is so not a Christian.

Jesus cared about all humans.

You care only about yourself.

And the fact that you want Jesus' birth to be even more commercialized than it is, is just sick!

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 9:16:02 PM PST
yeahitworks says:
These days happy holidays includes thanksgiving all the way through New Years Day So Happy HOlidays to YOU

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 9:19:29 PM PST
That's what I always thought - Thanksgiving through New Years.

And then Christians (not all of them) got all offended over nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 9:26:30 PM PST
Lene Jensen says:
The eye-for-an-eye-Christians, not the turn-the-other-cheek-Christians.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 9:33:21 PM PST
Yes, those Christians. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 9:36:43 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 8, 2012 9:40:38 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 5:57:23 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 9, 2012 5:58:09 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 6:04:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 6:49:18 AM PST
Before the militant Christians went crazy insisting everyone chant Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays, I assumed those wishing me a Merry Christmas were expressing a positive, though somewhat ignorant sentiment (assuming everyone is Christian).

Now, when I hear "Merry Christmas, " I hear fighting words.

Is that what the Christians want?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:34:08 AM PST
denilea says:
Arbor day

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:39:20 AM PST
Don't forget the non believers who celebrate the winter solstice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:59:00 AM PST
"Why they refuse to use word 'Christmas' ?"

Really? They actually refused to use the word "Christmas"? Did you specifically ask them to say the word?

I think that you are full of it. I don't think that they refused. I think that just because you saw the word holiday, you decided to interpret it as a rejection of Christmas, instead of what it was intended to be, which is an INCLUSION of Christmas in the long list of holidays that occur during the general time period.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:07:27 AM PST
"If it is politically incorrect to use the word Christmas; why then should I have to tolerate other religions. I am not happy that so many businesses will take my right in order to try to please every one else."

What right is being taken away from you? Go ahead and use the word "Christmas"! Nobody is stopping you! No business has taken your right to use that word away! Just because they exercise THEIR right to use the term "Holiday" does NOT mean that your rights have been affected in ANY way!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:11:53 AM PST
1908Cubs says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:28:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 8:32:11 AM PST
Bull.

The Encyclopedia Americana: "Most of the customs now associated with Christmas were not originally Christmas customs but rather were pre-Christian and non-Christian customs taken up by the Christian church. Saturnalia, a Roman feast celebrated in mid-December, provided the model for many of the merry-making customs of Christmas. From this celebration, for example, were derived the elaborate feasting, the giving of gifts, and the burning of candles."

So, you better start wishing people a Super Saturnalia.

(And, by the way, sticking what right in their face? That not everyone is Christian?)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:32:41 AM PST
Really, 1980Cubs? Hanukkah occurs because of the birth of Christ? You ought to tell all of those misinformed Jews! If what you say is true, then they have had the wrong idea about their holiday for A LONG time! (Like CENTURIES before the birth of Christ!)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:59:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 9:03:26 AM PST
In response to 1908Cubs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) All the holiday traditions are man-made, they were not instituted by God or the Bible. To claim otherwise is heresy.
2) No one is sticking anything in our face, maybe you just want to fight about something? Christians aren't supposed to be contentious. Maybe you should read Proverbs more often.

If the vast majority of said Christians are as ignorant and contentious as you, I am very sad.

In response to M.A. Rowlett:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Again, ignorance and foolishness. No one is taking away your right to use the word Christmas. It seems rather that you want to take away businesses' rights to choose their own words. The only ones trying to take away rights are those (like you?) demanding people use the word "Christmas". Whomever owns the object in question can call it whatever they want and use whatever descriptive labels they want; including you. Including businesses. YOU are the one trying to take away rights.

Ignorant and contentious "Christians" feed the contempt so many others have for us and harm the cause of Christ. The best way to turn people away from Christianity is to try to force it upon them. History has proven this.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 9:19:03 AM PST
"...the vast majority of Americans are Christians..."

The majority of vast Americans may click the "Christian" box on some form or other, but I think we've quite passed the mark where the majority of Americans of normal size (which is, admitted, a bit puffy...) are "Christian." And there are only 137 slim Christians on the entire planet. Amazon knows this, and simply prepares their web site to appeal to people with enough brain and money to shop on the site.

But wait until the New Year, when Amazon announces the next Prime Membership benefit: Free Unlimited Streaming of Videos Poking Fun at Superstitious Bigoted Arses.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  454
Total posts:  1541
Initial post:  Dec 7, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions